• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Direct Entry Privates Receive AES Op Wings, 23 Mar 10

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
As some folks may know, the AES Op (Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator) MOC began a trial with Direct Entry applicants this past FY.  With the entry of Pte's into the MOC, the training of baby AES Ops was changed.  The BAC (Basic AES Op Course, QL5) was replaced with the BAQC (Basic AES Op Qual Crse, QL3) and the IAQC (Intermediate AES Op Qual Crse, QL5).  In the new way of trg, AES Op candidates receive their Wings upon completion of IAQC.

Yesterday, the first IAQC course received their Wings on Parade at 1 CFFTS.  4 Ptes from the first wave of DEs into the MOC were part of IAQC Serial 0901 and were the first Ptes to receive Wings from 1 CFFTS.

The 2nd IAQC, IAQC Serial 1051, is set to start 19 Apr 10. 

When IAQC students complete their check rides, if they are successful they then get their posting messages.  For IAQC 0901, the postings are as follows:

3 LRP east, 2 LRP west, and 3 MH east.

Congrats to all the boys from 0901 and good luck on MOAT/OTU. 

We can't wait for you to leave so we can have your rooms.  8)

Congrats to them.  Just curious, do they do the QL3 and QL5 back to back?

PMedMoe said:
Congrats to them.  Just curious, do they do the QL3 and QL5 back to back?

These guys did.  Well, there was a 5 week break between courses due to Christmas, but yes, the idea is to have as little break as possible.  There will be some folks waiting for the 5s after the 3s;  the BAQC is 10-12 candidates, where the IAQC is max 8. 

From the BAQC 0901, 2 of the 10 students have been waiting for their 5s since end November and will be on the next IAQC in April.  BAQC 0902 also has 10 students.  So that means there will be 4 folks from BAQC 0902 who will have to wait for their 5s. 

It might not make sense to some people why they do this, but basically they predict some failures on the BAQC course, so they load more onto it then they can a IAQC.  To date, no one has failed BAQC.  So they end up with people in the breech waiting, which is not abnormal though some here think it is.  They just have to go to PRETC in Borden for a day to see they don't have it bad at all.

From what we've heard, they are loading the next BAQC with 12 candidates.  If everyone passes, they will have 16 QL3 folks waiting for IAQC (QL5).  Rumour is they will 0 load the following QL3, run 2 QL5s back to back, which puts more Wings grade baby AES Ops out to the MOAT/OTUs to get them on Sqn as fast as they can.

Its better to have people waiting for courses than it is to have courses waiting for people  :)

while it is happy news for these guys, it seems to have gotten that much tougher to get a straight ot into the trade now.

I don't know about that.  There are 9 OT Cpls on the BAQC starting next month, and a whole handful just got their offers recently.

The AES Op privates are going to be spoiled.  The beauty of having the trade as a COTP trade was that everyone came in from different backgrounds.  Now we are going to have Pte's checking into the Hotel Zoso and they will have no idea how lucky they are, some may even complain! 

I guess I could always sell one of them to the "locals" there, sit back and watch the show.

Trigger, sort your crap out, find out what you are lacking in your application and rectify the issue.  There has to be a reason why you missing the cut.  I know it sucks, but if you want to be an AES Op, you have to make sure your application stands out.

I agree with you Dolphin Hunter, hopefully they will not get too cocky, never met them but I'm sure they are good people.

I get to join the trade in May, wonder how long til I'm loaded on a BAQC.

I'm a CT BTW ;-)

Klink

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Now we are going to have Pte's checking into the Hotel Zoso and they will have no idea how lucky they are, some may even complain! 

As i have said many times, it will be up to people like you and me to ensure that these guys gain the proper perspective. They wont know how good they have it until we tell them. There will be growing pains for sure but it will work as long as , IMHO, we make clear our expectations and be uncompromising when it comes to performance standards. Just like it is now.

I guess I could always sell one of them to the "locals" there, sit back and watch the show.

Hell, i thought about selling you in San Diego last year...... >:D

CDN Aviator said:
Hell, i thought about selling you in San Diego last year...... >:D

There's no money for fat, English white guys!  The real money is on the young french guy! 

On the topic of DE AES Op's we might start to see more people get into the trade, and eventually want to OT out.  As for the Cocky factor, I have faith that if anyone starts strutting around YQQ, that they will be swiftly brought back down.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
There's no money for fat, English white guys!  The real money is on the young french guy! 

On the topic of DE AES Op's we might start to see more people get into the trade, and eventually want to OT out.  As for the Cocky factor, I have faith that if anyone starts strutting around YQQ, that they will be swiftly brought back down.

I haven't met any of the DEs that are cocky at all, even after receiving their Wings recently on the 1st IAQC.  Everyone at the School mentions to them that they are lucky to enter the trade they have at this time, and the folks who are OTs give them an idea of what the other trades and worlds in the CF are like in comparison.  We've had instructors come in from LRP and MH Sqn's who passed on first hand info on what the communities are like, what is expected of them/us at MOAT/OTU and the line Sqns. 

The 1st BAQC there were a few issues with a couple of DEs that were addressed by the staff.

The 1 DE that is heading your guys way is a really quiet shy kind...you'll likely have a harder time getting him to talk than worrying about him strutting anything  ;D.

So from my perspective, it looks good so far on the DE guys.  Having said that, none of them have made it to/thru MOAT/OTU or show up at their Sqns yet but the guys getting ready to leave here now are all good guys, from the cocky Pte issue perspective atleast.

Our BAQC (the 2nd one thru) grads this Friday, the 3rd serial started this past Tuesday with 3  more DEs.  There are 4 DEs on our flying phase that starts this month, Cpl/Pte flying partners.  So if all goes well, by end June the first 8 DEs will be past the 1CFFTS world atleast.

Eye In The Sky said:
We've had instructors come in from LRP and MH Sqn's who passed on first hand info on what the communities are like, what is expected of them/us at MOAT/OTU and the line Sqns. 

Here's what its like at the Sqns.    407 = Flying  405 = No flying!  >:D ...  Before anyone from ZX starts to have chest pains, relax, its just a joke. 

I was curious to see if all the DE's were going to make it through BMQ.  We all know that each course has a handful of VR's after a few weeks.  I would think that's a bit of a gamble for the trade.
  Congrats to all the guys!!  I'm jealous as hell  ;D

CallOfDuty said:
  I was curious to see if all the DE's were going to make it through BMQ.  We all know that each course has a handful of VR's after a few weeks.  I would think that's a bit of a gamble for the trade.
  Congrats to all the guys!!  I'm jealous as hell  ;D

you're jealous too eh? you must be in the same boat as me...reg force trying your damnedest (in my case 4 years), to get over there and seeing the de's/ct's make it through and there's not a thing you can do for your own plight, except wait yet another year...

trigger324 said:
you're jealous too eh? you must be in the same boat as me...reg force trying your damnedest (in my case 4 years), to get over there and seeing the de's/ct's make it through and there's not a thing you can do for your own plight, except wait yet another year...
...pretty close man....I was about to apply last year but got injured right before my aircrew medical.  Hopefully I'll be good to go this fall.  And you're right...for every DE that gets through, it feels like my chances get slimmer and slimmer! 
  I honestly can't believe that the AES OP trade could ever be in the red  ???
Good luck trig.

Get a spec pay trade and make airplane noises while you work... it's the next best thing to being an AES Op.

Just trying to cheer up Call of Duty et al...check your PMs!

Congrats to all the guys and gals doing the AES Op gig...sounds like a mental bag drive.

Back