• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Direct Entry Privates Receive AES Op Wings, 23 Mar 10

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?  Why on earth would they post a guy right into an instructor position?

Experience.  As a new AES Op student, you have NONE.  Bad idea.

Please allow that there is actually a plan in place here and that the implications were carefully considered.

Contrary to popular belief, we are not idiots and actually have a half a clue on what we are doing at 1 CFFTS.

SeaKingTacco said:
Please allow that there is actually a plan in place here and that the implications were carefully considered.

Contrary to popular belief, we are not idiots and actually have a half a clue on what we are doing at 1 CFFTS.

Thanks for clearing that up, I have never once mentioned or thought of anyone at 1 CFFTS as an idiot.

Its just my personal feeling that as an instructor you should be able to answer a simple question from your students. 
Example - What's life like as an AES Op?  Should never be answered with an "I don't know" from the instructor.

I am sure it will be fine, I am also assuming that the new instructor is an OT and not a Pte.

I am sure it will be fine, I am also assuming that the new instructor is an OT and not a Pte.

You assume correctly.

Besides, in principle, how is this different than pipeline pilot or ACSO instructors? 

No one is proposing that all of our AES Op instructors be pipeliners- we are simply experimenting to see if it is possible to have one of our twelve instructors as a pipeliner.

Keep in mind, this is not an OTU.  Operational experience, while useful, is not (strictly speaking) required to teach the syllabus on the BAQC and IAQC.

SeaKingTacco said:
Operational experience, while useful, is not (strictly speaking) required to teach the syllabus on the BAQC and IAQC.

I agree with you for the BAQC, however, for the IAQC, while not necessary, operational experience would enhance the student's experience on course. That being said, the impact of a pipe instructor is not that significant considering the pool of other staff the school has.

SeaKingTacco said:
how is this different than pipeline pilot or ACSO instructors? 

With one exception in the past decade - pipeline Pilot QFI's have only been for Phase 2.  Our advanced flight training is staffed by multi-tour pilots that have upgraded to AC on their respective platforms.  The one exception has 3000+ hours of civi instructing under his belt and has proven to be very effective.

1 CFFTS QS/TPs are structured a bit differently than what I understand the pilot structure to be.  There is not really scope to keep an instructor only instructing a certain phase of a course.  The ACSO pipe experiment has been a great success- the pipe instructors there are easily the equal of their more "experienced" counterparts.  Often, what they lack in experience, they make up for in enthusiasm and dedication.

No one gets assigned a permanent instructor, so each student gets to see a wide range of instructor styles and experience levels.  All instructors are regularly monitored.  I'd say the risk level is low here, given what I know about the AES Op QS/TP.  Now, in a perfect world, there would be no need for pipe instructors, anywhere.  The current world we inhabit is far from perfect.

Given the current state of the AES Op occupation (demographically and the ability to absorb new blood through OTUs/Sqns), things are going to have to be done differently than they have in the past.

SeaKingTacco said:
Given the current state of the AES Op occupation (demographically and the ability to absorb new blood through OTUs/Sqns), things are going to have to be done differently than they have in the past.

To that i would add the lack of experienced AES Ops that the line units can afford to send to the schools.

43,000+ posts.  Yeah, you guys are waaaaaay to busy on the line sqns.  Couldn't spare a soul! ;D

Just kidding.  You know I love ya man.......in the most hetero kind of a way of course.

x-zipperhead said:
43,000+ posts.  Yeah, you guys are waaaaaay to busy on the line sqns.  Couldn't spare a soul! ;D

You need to have your eyes checked my freind, your time at the school, staring at powerpoint slides, has blinded you. I have +11000 posts not +43000.........

Just kidding.  You know I love ya man.......in the most hetero kind of a way of course.

Glad you clarified that one......

And here I thought it was just my hearing and sanity that were going..........I guess my eyes are too.

CDN Aviator said:
More than 3/4 of the trade is already past 20 years of service. That means they are pensionable whenever they feel like it.

Direct entry......its about time.

I'm a remuster guy who had 11 years in before OT. We need more of the younger guys so that they can do 20+ as an AES Op and move through the ranks and carry the occupation through everything thats going on now and in the future.

I once saw a guy we accepted at 18 years of service. Guess what happened 2 years later when he hit 20 ( and his restricted release was up) ??

Just curious if this is still the case. I believe myself to finally be in a position that will allow me to make it into the trade and want if your looking for more hands, then things are looking up for me!

willellis said:
Just curious if this is still the case. I believe myself to finally be in a position that will allow me to make it into the trade and want if your looking for more hands, then things are looking up for me!

As i posted in another thread, the MOS is full as of the APS. This will not put a stop to recruting but will bring it in line with attrition as oposed to whats been happening the last 2 years. IMHO, of course.

Back