• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, residential schools, etc. (merged)

Maybe you should have 'self-identified' when you had the chance ;)

As millions in federal funding flow into a Labrador group whose claims of Inuit identity have been rejected by Indigenous organizations across Canada, a national Inuit leader worries the Liberal government is putting the rights of Indigenous Peoples at risk.

Natan Obed, president of an organization representing about 70,000 Inuit across Canada, said he wrote to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over a year ago to express his concern about the NunatuKavut Community Council's ability to receive federal grants and fisheries allocations based on a "simple self-declaration of Inuit identity."

He said he has not received a response.

It's all about the money. When FN bands, sign treaties and become governments, they suddenly realize that the capital burnrate is higher than they realize and will be tossing the environmental groups off their land in order to get projects that bring in revenue. In the meantime they fight with each other over grant monies.

Natan Obed, president of an organization representing about 70,000 Inuit across Canada, said he wrote to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over a year ago to express his concern about the NunatuKavut Community Council's ability to receive federal grants and fisheries allocations based on a "simple self-declaration of Inuit identity."

$74M

That's hilarious. They should have identified as LGBTQ and rounded up.

Maybe you should have 'self-identified' when you had the chance ;)

As millions in federal funding flow into a Labrador group whose claims of Inuit identity have been rejected by Indigenous organizations across Canada, a national Inuit leader worries the Liberal government is putting the rights of Indigenous Peoples at risk.

He said he has not received a response.

This is kind of the logical end state for the government though. They aren't going to be seen to be denying indigenous people their entitlements. Particularly when the indigenous governments/groups seem to want to hold the power to grant or deny access to programmes at their whim, rather than based on genetic data or genealogy.

On the one hand ....
And on the other ....

I agree with the Lawyers on this one. There are lot's of rural Canadians that do not get supplied waters by any level of government.

What the government(s) can do is provide interest free loans with generous loans for the bands to upgrade their water supply on their own. I would only caveat that if there had been a contamination of their supply by a government permitted work, then the government owes them a duty.

I agree with the Lawyers on this one. There are lot's of rural Canadians that do not get supplied waters by any level of government.

What the government(s) can do is provide interest free loans with generous loans for the bands to upgrade their water supply on their own. I would only caveat that if there had been a contamination of their supply by a government permitted work, then the government owes them a duty.
100%, most Canadians don’t realize that drinking water is usually handled by your municipality.

There is so much more to it than building a water plant as well, half the issue is maintaining it/getting operators for it, most Reserves are unable to do so.

So other than the cost to fly equipment in/out, what is the reason someone can't just drill a well for each household? (Like the one on my front lawn that I am totally responsible for?)

What the government(s) can do is provide interest free loans with generous loans for the bands to upgrade their water supply on their own.
Let's be pragmatic. A lot do that money would disappear and people would just be back in line asking for more.

IMO the Indian Act and our system of reserves doesn't work when it comes to providing modern safe and clean living conditions. It's just a failed system we keep throwing billions of dollars at.

The money is unique to FN communities but the expectations in rural areas surrounding services etc are just as unrealistic.

Any FN more than a few hours from a major centre, and even some of those, will never have good health care, water, or any other infrastructure or service taken for granted in major centres.

It isn’t a matter of money. It is a mix of social factors and straight up geography.

Let's be pragmatic. A lot do that money would disappear and people would just be back in line asking for more.

IMO the Indian Act and our system of reserves doesn't work when it comes to providing modern safe and clean living conditions. It's just a failed system we keep throwing billions of dollars at.
And who keeps pocketing the money?

So other than the cost to fly equipment in/out, what is the reason someone can't just drill a well for each household? (Like the one on my front lawn that I am totally responsible for?)
Because it's your front yard. FN territory land is held by the Crown 'in trust'. I suppose the government could hire a bunch of crews and start drilling individual wells, but they would still be federal wells. Also, I'm not sure about the viability of drilled wells in the Boreal.

The relationship between the federal government and FNs is completely different than that between an individual and a municipality. Some of that is governed by the wording of treaties, some by the Constitution and Indian Act. For all the things that the Indian Act is and isn't, I don't think I've ever heard a FN leader saying they want to abolish it.

Funding might be a federal responsibility, but at the lowest level local governance should be looking after "municipal" infrastructure.

In addition to this ....
Aquifers aren't equally distributed, nor of reliable size or consistent depth.
... this is big:
... FN territory land is held by the Crown 'in trust'. I suppose the government could hire a bunch of crews and start drilling individual wells, but they would still be federal wells ..
Since Big Fed is where the buck stops (cost & liability) for a lot of stuff on reserve, I suspect there would be generally fewer, more localized issues dealing with one communal water system than with dozens of individual, in-home water systems. Some communities have the community capacity/expertise to maintain a ton of different systems, others not so much.

Also, only the most hardened cynics would suggest a bean counter coming up with their "ideal" solution in Ottawa may consider one central solution per community better than many decentralized solutions that may each be different ;)

Funding might be a federal responsibility, but at the lowest level local governance should be looking after "municipal" infrastructure.
Sure, but that would require a legislative change and funding transfer. They might be 'municipal-like' but they are not municipalities. Reserve lands are 'children of the federal government'; municipalities are 'children of the province'. Without some form of agreement, provincial law doesn't apply on a Reserve and there is no way municipal taxpayers are going to willingly fund expenditures on Reserve land.

Sure, but that would require a legislative change and funding transfer. They might be 'municipal-like' but they are not municipalities. Reserve lands are 'children of the federal government'; municipalities are 'children of the province'. Without some form of agreement, provincial law doesn't apply on a Reserve and there is no way municipal taxpayers are going to willingly fund expenditures on Reserve land.
The point is that whatever a community needs, it has to provide for itself: the people who live there have to maintain it, even though they need not provide all of the work force to build it.

Above all, not everything can be provided to the same standard everywhere, at least until some distant future time at which the tax take of a much, much larger national productive output allows that luxury.

Back