• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

first postings

somestoker

Inactive
Reaction score
i signed up NCM SEP program,  to go to ST John's and train to be a stoker.  Finishing up BMQ and they are sending me to Esquimalt for my first posting.  Is this normal ?  to send someone to one end of te country and then a few weeks latter send them back????

somestoker said:
i signed up NCM SEP program,  to go to ST John's and train to be a stoker.  Finishing up BMQ and they are sending me to Esquimalt for my first posting.  Is this normal ?  to send someone to one end of te country and then a few weeks latter send them back????

Considering there are 2 main postings for Navy, Esquimalt or Halifax, yes, this is normal.  Regardless of what you have requested for your posting, you will be put where you are most needed.  Ensure your supervisor is aware of your preference for location.  Someday, you might get there.  Until then, make the most of where you are...Esquimalt is a great place to be. 

Once you finish your QL5 you will be assigned a "Home Port" I lucked out and got the East Coast. (I'm sure that will raise a comment or two) It is very normal to send someone where they can best be utilized or where you can learn your trade. Are you starting at MI in December?

Even though it's not Halifax, Esquimalt has a couple of things going for it. The Tudor house is one and if you like mountains then you may like the Left Coast.

Good luck in school!

somestoker said:

Just keep in mind that the west coast is the best coast.

Never having had to navigate up an ice-encrusted road at a 20 degree slope in Victoria (After having had to do so in Halifax), mostly due to the fact that snow melts insanely fast instead of turning into ice, the whole "mostly complete lack of winter" may either grow on you or annoy you. In either case, however, for some reason the skiing is better from Victoria. Weird!

Other than the weather, there's also the typical ports of call. Oahu, San Diego, Portland... all pretty awesome.

Other than that... well, I guess you have to do what you can in each place you live.

West Coast is great but you need to get use to non-stop rain!

gcclarke said:
Other than the weather, there's also the typical ports of call. Oahu, San Diego, Portland... all pretty awesome.
What are the ports of call for East Coast?

TcDohl said:
What are the ports of call for East Coast?

There are so many that get visited from time to time, but some of the more common ones are Boston MA, Norfolk VA, Portsmouth (UK), St.John's NL, Copenhagen DK.  I'm sure there are probably some ports that are now "regular" that weren't when I was around years ago.  Puerto Rico used to be a Jan-Mar favourite, but since the US base closed I'm not sure what has replaced it.  Great Lakes cruises are a lot of fun, but can be very hard on the wallet and the liver.

Occam said:
There are so many that get visited from time to time, but some of the more common ones are Boston MA, Norfolk VA, Portsmouth (UK), St.John's NL, Copenhagen DK.  I'm sure there are probably some ports that are now "regular" that weren't when I was around years ago.  Puerto Rico used to be a Jan-Mar favourite, but since the US base closed I'm not sure what has replaced it.  Great Lakes cruises are a lot of fun, but can be very hard on the wallet and the liver.

If I recall correctly, Hawaii and San Diego can be pretty hard on the liver and wallet as well. But I am having a bit of trouble recalling correctly for some reason.  :cheers:

As for the non stop rain, I can deal with that due to the fact that it is in lieu of snow.

You have a point about snow. What other part of the country shuts down completly with 6 inches of snow!

Between continuous rain at 5 deg.C for days + days without sunlight with no way to get dry; and a dry -10 deg.C with snow that doesn't turn in slush, I choose the last one. However, I don't miss the below -15 deg.C or the wet slushy cold in Montreal.

Overall, the West Coast spring-summer-fall (beginning) is awesome and worth to pass through the rainy winter !

OK, I'll stop here as I am hadjacking the present thread from its topic. In addition I don't know what is worst on a boat: cold rain or snow. I only sail during sunny summer day.  8)

Actually Halifax get much more rain than Victoria does!
http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/element.cfm  Halifax sits at 6th in the Rainiest City category, while Victoria sits at 26.

Don't get me wrong, we can go weeks without seeing the sun out west, but it isn't always raining. 

Thanks for the link on "Canadian Cities are Weather Winners", interresting  facts.

I've checked with "born and raised" BC people, they told me that Victoria is in a rain shadow (caused by the mountains). thus, it doesn't rain as much as in Vancouver. Same for the sunshine coast that is the reason for the name.

I am living in Vancouver and as a "Vancover centrist", I thought (wrong) the winter was similar all along the West Coast including the South-West of Vancouver Island.

Lesson learned!

FDO said:
. Are you starting at MI in December?

Good luck in school!

Suposed to, at least all the paper work that the recruiting office had me sign said so.  I just think it is odd thaat they would send me west when i am going to be starting a course on the east coast a few weeks latter.  However, from a few people that i have talked to, it seems as if most people from the east are being sent west and vise versa.

As far as i know I am going to be placed on a PAT platoon while I am there, but details are scarse.

The old adage: "Ours is not to question why...." comes to mind but I agree; this is a little odd. I think it may be a one time thing (OP PODIUM related??)- Maybe someone from Esquimalt can chime in here. At CFNES in Halifax it has not been uncommon to get you guys for a few weeks to a month or so in the past but if you are all going west (??) that would explain why we aren't getting any this fall. I can only hope for your sake and the Navy's that they have you doing something even remotely trade related while out there.
To re-iterate though as someone said earlier - You go where you are needed - I, therefore surmise that 'someone' needs you out west.

I'm thinking there may be some Olympic work in you future. Not actually going because you'll be in class when they start but you may be required to help set stuff up or act as security in some way. When my son was PAT in Borden they sent him to Edmonton to act as security for the G8 a few years ago.

No matter what they do with you remember in the Navy they have taken floggng out of the book of punishments. So at the extreme worse you are still being paid and it's all pensionable!

Back