• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Time Postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonstarks

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be able to direct me where to get information when deciding on where to get posted to for the first time.  I am an OCDT and I graduate at in April 2008.  I will be applying for my first posting and I am not really sure where to get good info.  I am tried talking with various soldiers posted to different bases to get an idea, searched online to see what each city around the bases has to offer, and tried to search on the forces website (no luck with that).
One other thing is what are the main things someone would look for in a good posting?
Thank You :cdn:

I will be applying for my first posting

Thanks for the laugh.  Apply all you want but you are probably going where you don't want to. Freaking hilarious.

what are the main things someone would look for in a good posting?

Well for the first one it is best to hope for good hunting and fishing. ;D

lol Yes I am aware of that.  Basically wherever I am needed I will be sent, but I do have three choices I need to put down with some sort of hope of being sent there.

Look at your Trade Qualification and then look at where that Trade is employed. 

You might also want to consider some of the following:

a.  Would you like to be near your family or far from them?
b.  Would you like to go a part of Canada where you have never been?

Good luck and only the CM will really know where you will end up.  In the end, you will go where the Forces need you the most.

I do not need to be near my family, but I do need to stay in Ontario because of my licences and qualifications I have a with a financial company I work for, as well my finance works there as well.  I have been volunteering at a reserve base training with them during the week and participating on the training ex's to try and develop myself as an officer, so I have some PER's from the reserve base and a letter from the vice president of our company indicating what I have done with some hope of setting myself apart from the rest of the Ocdt's graduating this school year.
Basically from the info I got is that Petawawa needs army log and is a family environment for my daughter to grow up in.  i would really like the opportunity to go to A-stan and Pet is notorious for tours which is good for me.
The problem arises from the fact that all my info is about Pet and no other base in Ontario.
One question I have is with my volunteer work at a reserve base, working a civi job, licences with both my finance and myself will I be able to have more bargaining power in regards to where I will be posted?

jonstarks said:
I do not need to be near my family, but I do need to stay in Ontario because of my licences and qualifications I have a with a financial company I work for, as well my finance works there as well.  I have been volunteering at a reserve base training with them during the week and participating on the training ex's to try and develop myself as an officer, so I have some PER's from the reserve base and a letter from the vice president of our company indicating what I have done with some hope of setting myself apart from the rest of the Ocdt's graduating this school year.
Basically from the info I got is that Petawawa needs army log and is a family environment for my daughter to grow up in.  i would really like the opportunity to go to A-stan and Pet is notorious for tours which is good for me.
The problem arises from the fact that all my info is about Pet and no other base in Ontario.
One question I have is with my volunteer work at a reserve base, working a civi job, licences with both my finance and myself will I be able to have more bargaining power in regards to where I will be posted?

:rofl:

jonstarks said:

So?  ???

You are not Regular Force, but a Reservist.  Then you would have to find a Unit on your own time, in the place you would like to live and then see if they have an opening or requirement for a part-time Admin O. 

That was Easy!........now I am off to Staples for a Memory Stick. 

I am an ROTP officer in the regular force who parades with a reserve unit becauase as an ocdt in the reg force we have no training throughout the year and I do not care for that.  So I volunteer my time at a reserve base.  In the ROTP we are paid to go to school and thats it.  Anything else we do is simply on our own time.  In the next couple weeks I need to fill out my prefrences in regards to where I would like to be posted.

As a Regular Force Officer, your Civilian employment may be considered a "Conflict of Interest" and totally improper.  The Canadian Forces have hired you and are paying you.  They are your employer.  Moonlighting is not of their concern and they will post you where they need you.  They really don't care about your job as a Cab Driver, Grocery Clerk or Financial Consultant.  Those are part-time jobs that have no bearing on your full-time employment as a member of the Canadian Forces. 

You are burning a candle at both ends and are about to get burnt.

jonstarks said:
I am an ROTP officer in the regular force who parades with a reserve unit becauase as an ocdt in the reg force we have no training throughout the year and I do not care for that.  So I volunteer my time at a reserve base.  In the ROTP we are paid to go to school and thats it.  Anything else we do is simply on our own time.  In the next couple weeks I need to fill out my prefrences in regards to where I would like to be posted.

Ok...your situation is alot more clear now, but :

but I do need to stay in Ontario because of my licences and qualifications I have a with a financial company I work for, as well my finance works there as well.

Get a grip on yourself. You are Reg Force.....you civilian side job is of no consequence as far as the military is concerned.

and Pet is notorious for tours which is good for me.

Petawawa is no more notorious for tours than any other army base.....

Bargaining ? Are you smoking something ?

My civilian job having no bearing over my posting is quite understandable and I pretty much figured that, but I was still curious.  I completely understand that my primary job is with the CF and will come first.
So basically no matter what my current situation is or what I have done, will have no bearing on where I get posted?

jonstarks said:
My civilian job having no bearing over my posting is quite understandable and I pretty much figured that, but I was still curious.  I completely understand that my primary job is with the CF and will come first.
So basically no matter what my current situation is or what I have done, will have no bearing on where I get posted?

Jesus wept!

As was suggested find out where you can be employed, look at those places (lots of info on this site and others) and write down three and then go where they send you.

And with that,

This is locked.  If anyone has anything else to add, I will be willing to bargain with you.

dileas

tess

MILNET STAFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back