• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flying Tanks thread, split from Ok, I have some questions. (Please dont just tell me to read the FAQ)

ironduke57 said:
LAV drift? Noob! ;D
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQL2RR8H3U

SCNR,
ironduke57

Oh and:

lol I got a buddy at the Armd School who did that in WTP but parked the damn thing in its proper spot. Now that is skill.

canadian4ever said:
Is that like the camping trip in the movie Fubar with the Metalheads from Calgary??? That was one funny movie.
Indeed.  I was nicknamed Tron, because I was the guy that never showed up anymore.

:p

My other buddy with a shaved head was Post Chemo Deaner.

as for that post earlier with the picture of the flying tank, there's actually a hilarious and informative series of articles on the website www.somethingawful.com, a series by a writer Zack 'Geist Editor' Parsons, you can find it if you go there and search 'my tank is fight' then you'll find a whole bunch of articles with similar names.  Very funny, very interesting.

I remember during winter battle runs on range 4, 5 and 6 how we would love to drift the tanks back on the pad as we came screaming back from the shoot.  Of course, once it was discovered that we were having "fun" doing our jobs, the practice was quickly put to rest!!

Drifting with leopards at WTP is such an easy thing to do, I'm suprised we never created a synchronized drifting team!!

Heh.... Drifting a n old 3/4 ton SMP with mud wheels....in traffic - down Côte des neiges road in central Montreal.
The Jewish General hospital was nearby - thought I was going to need it for a while :(

Heart was going pitter, patter, Chitty-chitty-bang-bang, Chitty-chitty-bang-bang

Going sideways down Cote des Neiges.... you bet your life it Wasn't by choice

I saw a flying Iltis once.

Ipperwash, mid-80’s.  Watched this Iltis come screaming, uh, bounding, er, negotiating  ;D a three-foot high sand/grass dune.  As soon as it realized that there was no longer any ground beneath all four of its wheels, it promptly belly-whopped and then refused to move further.  Granted, it was foggy out.  I towed it back to the TPT shed with my jeepM151A1.

True story.

Us young tank drivers routinely tried to make our Leos fly back in the early 90s.

And for the record it was STAUNCH GLADIATOR.

The roller coaster section on the way in to WTP with a fresh student in the turret trying to control you was fun as well.  Doing the very aggressive zig-zagging was entertaining and most of the wise old DS would allow it to happen if they knew the driver.  Kind of a little "welcome to the corps" for the new kids.  Sometimes, you could catch one just right and smooth.

Nothing more satisfying than hearing a good solid "OOOFF!"  through the ICS after a long day getting your ears abused!  At least, that's what I've been told  8)

I launched an LSVW during BDT in Borden. I guess being told to "give'r" while trying to crest a sand dune doesn't mean to floor it for 500 metres and keep flooring it as you reach the apex of the hill....who knew  :blotto:

does anyone still have that flying leopard pic?

Bzzliteyr said:
The roller coaster section on the way in to WTP with a fresh student in the turret trying to control you was fun as well.  Doing the very aggressive zig-zagging was entertaining and most of the wise old DS would allow it to happen if they knew the driver.  Kind of a little "welcome to the corps" for the new kids.  Sometimes, you could catch one just right and smooth.

And don't forget about finding a deep water puddle and ensuring that wall of water makes its way all the up and into the turret.

Buddy of mine did that with a T-LAV, had to drop the ramp to let the water out.

*Flashback* - TQ3, 1993.. "bowling alley" from the range control shacks all the way to the old FIBUA (one cement building, if I remember correctly).  Leopard driver training with the glass cab.  I remember being told by the instructor to stop hitting bumps.. I couldn't grasp the concept so he saw a beautiful puddle and laid on the fuel to teach me a lesson.  It was like a 400 pound man standing on my shoulders as the water rushed into the driver's hole (hatch up at the time) and the wave worked it's way all the way over my head.. and through the beautiful glass driver cab windshield!!! 

We took a small coffee break while we waited for recovery to some get us.  No hydro static lock but I seem to recall the lack of windshield being a safety issue.

Emerg Driving on the 113 ( it was fitted for TOW no TUA ) I was bombing in the Meaford Trg area and hit a bump just right.  My foot went down on the Gas pedal due to the bump.  My initial ( and wrong reaction ) was to take my foot off the gas.  Witness state that I had all but the last pair of road wheels off the ground and then came down with a thud.  I thought I was braced but head thought differant and I had 13 stitches in chin (5 inside 6 outside)

a year later a buddy of mine was driving a Grizzley, same Trg Area and I was in the Commo hatch, Over the ICS I hear " I bet I can make the jump ( a wide ditch/ depression ) The CC ICS was wonkey and he couldn't hear the comment.  So off to the races he goes, you could feel the wheels come off, as the vehicle went in the air I sat down in the chair and went "oh fook". we landed with a THUDD!! and a couple of simo SPRANGs!! ( thankfully my helmet took the brunt ) I popped back up and he was turned around grinning " See Told yah I could make it"

The CC/ gunner was luckily the same rank as the Driver and outside of just swearing at my buds was just thankfull we were alive ( So was I in retrospect )

What?!?! You were wearing a helmet?  Craziness!!!  What year was that?? You must have been the "nerd" of your gang.  We never wore helmets back in the day!!

Bzzliteyr said:
What?!?! You were wearing a helmet?  Craziness!!!  What year was that?? You must have been the "nerd" of your gang.  We never wore helmets back in the day!!

You must have hit your head.

I wore a helmet while driving Leo.  Glad I did when I was thrown up into my hatch (Hatches down and locked).  Not only that, whenever I got into a Fire Posn, I could lean back and comfortably fall asleep on the Halon Bottles.  ;D  Worked as a good pillow on those nights on the Back Deck, as well.

Crawling in and out of a Biber with a 10 ton headache rack on top, you bet your butt I wore a TopGun helmet.

I acquired my heli visor before my Bosnia 93 deployment.  I was a great addition to my protection.  I never used it on the tanks until a few years later.  I remember wearing berets (even in the driver hole) for a long time before the school rolled an M113 by Dunn's corner and someone got hit in the head with a pickaxe.  From that point on, helmets in AFVs were required.

Back