• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For Those Frustrated with Vista (Free MEMORY trick!)

When I built this PC i chose to keep windows Xp, my other PC has vista, not a huge fan of it. I'm waiting for Windows 7

FoverF said:
I've been using Vista for about a month, and I want to kill it with an axe.

My primary complaint so far (other than the memory hog issue) is that it downloads upgrades that I didn't ask for, and since it needs to shut down and restart to install these downloads, it automatically shuts itself down without saving anything on the desktop. Not, "these upgrades will be installed the next time you restart". But rather "Hope you weren't in the middle of anything b*tch, like giving a crucial power-point presentation at med school, because your computer has decided that these upgrades can't wait another four f**king minutes, and it's going to shut down NOW." 

You can change that.

Start->Control Panel->Windows Update->Change Settings

Anything but "Install Updates Automatically" is what you're looking for.

AEC Kapp said:
You can change that.

Start->Control Panel->Windows Update->Change Settings

Anything but "Install Updates Automatically" is what you're looking for.

But the underlying problem is Microsoft's arrogance in deciding on default settings that frustrate users.

My alternative to a new PC with Vista was a re-built Pentium IV with Ubuntu.

Microsoft may not be free, but you can choose to be free of Microsoft.

Had another Vista user give me his laptop this weekend to 'upgrade' it back to XP Pro. Works faster and better than ever now.

Thought I would share my little experience with Windows Vista and IE 8
I while ago I mentioned that Vista plus Windows IE 8 on my "wireless" laptop would not let me open Army.ca topics. In fact it would say I was banned, rather disturbing.
Well a while ago I stumbled on some info about Google Chrome being quick and blah blah.
So in keeping up with the times I downloaded it and low and behold it allows me to open Army.Ca topics when using IE8.

Back