• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forage caps or berets with the CF dress uniform?

• Thread starter Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date Start date
V

Veteran`s son

Hello everyone:

What you do all think about forage caps instead of the berets with the CF dress uniform?
Do you think that the forage cap would look nicer?
As always, your opinions and comments are appreciated! :)

A few years ago we finally dispensed with the forage cap, I don‘t think anyone wears them now (No doubt I‘ll be corrected on this point by my Reserve brethren). Some regiments may wear forage cap with patrol dress. The last Regular infantry units to wear them with service dress were the Second Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment and the Infantry School. The only argument in their favour was that we‘d worn them for years with various orders of service dress, which is, frankly, a weak argument to sustain them or to bring them back. The CF forage cap was uncomfortable, difficult to pack and used too seldom to endear it to the troops as a militarily useful article of kit. Far less trouble to maintain a clean beret for parades.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I would prefer it with my DEU‘s over the beret. the only people i see wearing them in the CF are navy pers.

I‘d like it.. IMO the beret just doesnt look quite right with the DEU‘s. but hey, thats just me.

I was always told that the army was "awarded" the right to wear the beret by the french after WWII. This could just be a BS line from training (I imagine Micheal Dorosh could let us know).

If this is true why would the Army eschew wearing what is essentially a (battle honour?) when in DEUs. The forge cap may make sense for the Navy or Airforce but for the Army... to me nothing says Army like the beret.

Considering guys were wearing berets during WWII, I don‘t think that‘s true.

Forage caps - it may be an exception, but to my knowledge IGs, and AIGs still wear them. Well, the IGs was never the standard one, but the AIGs just added a red band and white top, IIRC

I forgot about the IGs/AIGs, but as you note, they weren‘t wearing the CF standard army forage cap anyway.

Mike

I got issued a forage cap (Air Force). It sits in my closet. The wedge is much more functional :)

Governer General‘s Foot Guards frequently wear forage caps with DEU‘s. The units associations foot the bill for them I believe.

Back