• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Force Protection failure in Greece: RCN ship vandalized

NST had provided security the last time an HMC ship was in that port. Apparently no measures in place this time around.

Facebook comment from a former NST NCO:

''Lots of silly comments from people who think they know all about Force Protection. First, when we stood up NST in the exact same port we had two check points and a guarded gate with spike strips and Greek police manning those gates. Second, you would never open fire on people especially if the threat triangle isn't complete. Not sure how they got so close to the ship with the normal security measures in place, but it happened and it was only paint. However, this is exactly why you secure the jetty prior to a ship coming alongside using CAF and local authorities. De-escalate as best as possible and then use non-lethal force such as your fire hoses rigged on the upper decks.......trust me, they will stop someone
😉
.....ask ST....lol.''

Some context from a more friendly Greek:

''Alright... As a Greek-Canadian (served both in the Greek and Canadian army) I would like to apologize. Those guys are fuckin morons and stupid as fuck!
In 1932 Russia would give huge amounts of money(in other words fund) KKE(those fucking cunts who thru the paint), So one day they would "rule" Greece. The Greek army didn't let that happen and thru a lot of them in the jail.. So since then they can't stand the sight of any military uniform. Whenever they see anything that has to do with military they throw paint cans.
Sorry for my bad English!''

TO me that is simply a mentality fail from the top of the CRCN on down - it is a warship, not a commerce vessel - while it may have secondary duties - the primary role is a warship...
I don't disagree.

I pride myself in my focus on FP and UoF in the Navy, precisely because attention to those domains seems sorely lacking.

Last edited:
So when is the Captain going to be fired for negligence, I wonder?
NDA 124 - Negligent Performance of Duty; 104 Negligently Hazarding a Vessel

As an analogy from the UCMJ
This means to put a (vessel) (aircraft) in danger of loss or injury. Actual damage to or loss of the (vessel) (aircraft), though not required, is conclusive evidence that the (vessel) (aircraft) was hazarded but not of the fact of culpability on the part of any particular person

🍻

NDA 124 - Negligent Performance of Duty; 104 Negligently Hazarding a Vessel

As an analogy from the UCMJ

🍻
In fact, you can probably speak on that. Summary trial numbers (perhaps, presumably GCMs too?) are down considerably from previous years and decades, what sort of an effect has that had, in your opinion?

In fact, you can probably speak on that. Summary trial numbers (perhaps, presumably GCMs too?) are down considerably from previous years and decades, what sort of an effect has that had, in your opinion?
No idea. I'm too far removed in both space and time (13 years now) from any access to detailed statistics. I could take a wild assed guess, but I try to refrain from that.

😁

Do the KKE folks not realize that Russia is just about the farthest thing away from a Communist Utopia, on the Planet?

Do the KKE folks not realize that Russia is just about the farthest thing away from a Communist Utopia, on the Planet?
Marxism, Leninism, Autocracy, Kleptocracy, Mafiocracy.....

Potatoes! Patatas!

Why would a ship sail without a dedicated Security Team? I really don't get the idea that is should be a secondary duty - given you might need to be doing a slew of different things all at once on a ship.
It's simple. We don't have enough bunks aboard to have a dedicated security team aboard, that's why security is a secondary duty. We spend the majority of our time at sea, so if you're aboard, you need to be contributing to all the many things that needs to be accomplished at sea. We can't have people literally doing nothing but PT and cleaning their rifles between port visits. That's where the concept of NST came from. A dedicated security component that doesn't take up bunk space (plus it gives the crew more time off, and it gives reservists something to do).

It's simple. We don't have enough bunks aboard to have a dedicated security team aboard, that's why security is a secondary duty. We spend the majority of our time at sea, so if you're aboard, you need to be contributing to all the many things that needs to be accomplished at sea. We can't have people literally doing nothing but PT and cleaning their rifles between port visits. That's where the concept of NST came from. A dedicated security component that doesn't take up bunk space (plus it gives the crew more time off, and it gives reservists something to do).

“Did it work?”

Back