• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Foreign Drug Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

locomoco

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I lurked through the Drug Use Mega Threat but could not find an answer to my question.

Previously I spent time living in Europe as part of an exchange program. During that time, I smoked marijuana regularly. Where I was living, it was heavily decriminalized and very tolerated. If I applied, I am prepared to admit this on my application but I am curious to know how this affects me Would the same standard of 6 months without usage apply to me or would it have to be longer?

thanks

The same question could be applied to Washington State and Colorado. If one was to pursue recreational cannabis use (a harmless substance) in a jurisdiction where it is legalized, is there any ethical grounds for punishing them back home? While marijuana is still illegal on a federal level in the United States, now that it is legalized and sold on a state level, there is nothing inherently wrong with usage as long as you are abiding by the set legislation.

The same standards would be in place that are for alcohol. As long as you are abiding by Canadian law, if you are on vacation and are pursuing legal activities in a jurisdiction where it's acceptable, what ethical grounds are there to punish you? That is entering into a realm of control that the government shouldn't have over an individual, a double standard of sorts.

this topic actually came up during my targeted interview.
i was explicitly told by my career councillor that even if weed was legalized in Canada, as a member of the Canadian armed forces we aren't allowed to consume it.  other than over-the-counter medicines and prescription drugs (that's prescribed to you), technically CF members aren't allowed to consume any drugs.

there was a document that i had to read and sign during my targeted interview, that stated the same thing. i don't remember what the title of the document was called, since it's been 4 months.

Guess what kids: You're trying to join the Canadian Military. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your barracks room lawyering about your drug abuse; ('heavily decriminalized' is not the same as 'legal'). We have ltos of people knocing at the door. We can readily fill our ranks with people who have exhibited better judgment than to abuse drugs because they could get away with it. You didn't jsut decide to join the military yesterday, presumably- you've had this as a plan for a while.

If you have that much concern over 'the realm of control the government has over an individual', this is probably the worng organization for you- and I say that as someone who is a STRONG believer in civil liberties, but also an infantry NCO. Given that you can face a charge under the national defence act (federal legislation) for showing up five minutes late for work or telling your boss to eff off, you may take it as a given that somewhat stricter standards and expectations are applied to the military.

There are plenty of members of the CF who have done stupid things in the past (and drug use is stupid), but they accepted whatever consequences resulted, and they sorted themselves out over time. Be prepared for a potentially lengthy wait if you have recent drug use. Simply put- until we are sure that we can get a proper estimation of your judgment, we don't need you. If my answer offends you, too bad.

I won't delete this thread (yet) since Brihard responded, but to the OP and Badner, if you had truly read that drug use mega thread, you will have seen my last comment, you do drugs that are ILLEGAL in Canada, then you roll the dice and accept your fate, period.  Canadian law has not changed, and Canadian Armed Forces policies have not changed.  Ask the many Americans who have flown/drove into Canada with Medical Marijuanna, only to be arrested, deported, and barred from entering Canada, because they were smuggling drugs. 

Locked. (and to be deleted in the future after serving as fair warning to others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back