• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former RCD MWO and former Governor General's Horse Guard RSM J.L. Martin Died

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
I just thought fellow Armouerd Soldiers would be interested in the fact that  "Tooner "Martin has passed away 
see the obit at http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oId=426182
He was my  former RSM and valued SGT Major and good friend when I was in the Forces.
Farewell Tooner
Stuart Warren

FormerHorseGuard said:
I just thought fellow Armouerd Soldiers would be interested in the fact that  "Tooner "Martin has passed away 
see the obit at http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oId=426182
He was my  former RSM and valued SGT Major and good friend when I was in the Forces.
Farewell Tooner
Stuart Warren

And I was just going to post that he was in the hospital.  "Tooner" is a person that many have known and will remember.

This just in from the CO of the RCD and the 8 CH Association:

Dragoons,

It is with regret that I must inform you of the passing of Jim "Tooner"Martin in hospital in Barrie, ON. 
Viewing and Funeral arrangements are as follows:
The Steven R. Bridge Funeral Home 27 Mill St. Angus, ON. L0M 1B0(705) 424-1114 

Viewing: Tues September 28, 2010 From: 2-4 and 7-9 PM

Funeral Service in The Chapel: Wed September 29, 2010

Cremation To Follow. 

The link below will take you to the funeral home www.bridgefuneralhome.com

Shirley LaMontagne
8 CH Association Secretary
Shirley.Lamontagne@forces.gc.ca

Keeping him in our PRAYERS.

God Bless! 

Muggsie

CO's Secretary RCD

The accompanying document:

Beloved Husband of Brenda.
Loving Father of Catherine Dougherty (Shane), Tracy Mercer (Curtis), and Duane Martin (Stephanie).
Dear Grandfather of Amanda, Ashlee, Brittany, Matthew and Jacob.
Predeceased by his Brother Robert.

Jim will be sadly missed and always remembered by his many relatives and friends.

Friends may pay their respects at THE STEVEN R. BRIDGE FUNERAL HOME, ANGUS

on Tuesday, September 28th 2010 from 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm.

Funeral service will take place in the chapel on

Wednesday, September 29th 2010 at 2pm.

Cremation to follow.

As expressions of sympathy, donations to The World Vision-Livestock Management Project would be appreciated by the family.

Many of us on this site have served with or under Tooner and will always remember him.

Tooner's 'darker' side was that he actually did some time in the 'Air Force' at 427 'Lion' Squadron, as the senior observer on the CH136 Kiowa.  While Kiowas have long since disappeared from the Lion's Den, Tooner's reputation as a prankster and great guy have not.  This Lion shares with the Dragoons and Armoured Corps family the loss of MWO Martin.  :salute:

Audax et Celer  /  Ferte manus certas

G2G

I think you are thinking of one of the George Martin's.  Here is a photo of Tooner circa 1979:

He could light up the night sky when stiking a Zippo lighter  ;)

Tooner will be missed. I had the pleasure, and treasure, of knowing him for the last 40+ years.

George Wallace said:
I think you are thinking of one of the George Martin's.  Here is a photo of Tooner circa 1979:

Yes...that I was.

My condolences.

RIP "tooner"  :salute:
magic man, armoured stlye.
through surising and setting
an armoured soldier ride's
into the sunset.
RIP Brother.  :yellow:
Scoty B
Bold and swift

RIP RSM I worked with him at both RCIS and Borden Cadet Camp, Great man. Allways had a can of Scotch Mints on his desk for the Cadets.

Back