• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former U.S. military service

• Thread starter northamericanrebel
  • Start date
I have been a long time reader but have not posted, but I have come up wifh a question I can't find an answer to.

I have had a longstanding desire to serve in the military, and actually had made application early this year.  I still want to do it, but I was also just hired to a municipal police department.  So I am now thinking reserve as opposed to my original plan for regular forces.  While I am a Canadian citizen, I live and work in the US...specifically in Northern Maine which is geographically and culturally very close to New Brunswick, just 10 minutes drive east.  Gagetown is an hour away, and US reservists here travel there quite often to train.  The simple solution would be to move and change jobs 10 minutes east.  However, as a police officer in a place with different laws, and retirement system considerations, this is not a simple career decision...although I am still early enough to switch I suppose. 

Anyway, my basic question is this: Is it reasonable or possible to enlist while living and maintaining my career just west of the border?  Does anyone know someone who does this successfully?

Thank you for your responses, and for your service.

notreallypaul said:
I have had a longstanding desire to serve in the military, and actually had made application early this year

notreallypaul said:
I was also just hired to a municipal police department. 

In the US.

Since you have already applied to the CAF, why not contact Recruiting? Let them know what's going on with your US police career. That you will no longer be joining the CAF Regular Force, and ask their advice.

•  Visit the link to our Forces site, ( http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73 ) and submit a status update request for your application.
•  If you know your application number, include it in the email.
•  If you do not know your application number, ensure you include your first name, last name, date of birth and the postal code of your home address. This will ensure that the recruiter who receives your email can locate your application and provide you with a status update.

Who can apply:

To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
2.Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except: •Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
•Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
3.Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec). •Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

If you have ever lived outside Canada or have an immediate family member who currently lives outside Canada: You will be asked to fill out the “Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire”.  You should be prepared to provide adequate, verifiable information for the last 10 years. This information is used to determine if a Security Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, especially if you:
•have dual citizenship
•if you lived, worked, studied or travelled outside of Canada in the last 10 years for a total of at least 180 days
•if you have a child, parent, step-parent, spouse, in-laws, brother or sister (half & step) living outside of Canada

If a Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, it can take between 6 to 18 months to complete.

notreallypaul said:
Gagetown is an hour away, and US reservists here travel there quite often to train.

If you don't mind me asking, if you are eligible to do so, why not join an American Reserve unit?

Also, is joining the CAF Reserve ok with your municipal US police department?

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

notreallypaul said:
Is it reasonable or possible to enlist while living and maintaining my career just west of the border?

DAA would be a good person to talk to ask about this,
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/members/7446

Also your US employer.

Personally, I'd get settled into the new full-time job in the US, before looking for a part-time job in Canada.

I will contact recruiting.  This site is such a good resource I thought I'd find some starting answers, but as I said, no one seems to have asked this.  As far as the other general requirements posted go, I meet all of them, so thats no issue.

To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off.  I do intend to settle in with them first, they have been good to me and I am happy with my job.  This is more of a plan going forward I am thinking about.  I like to be prepared.

I did inquire about a US reserve unit, however I am not eligible as I do not meet their age requirement, I just turned 40 and their cut off is 35 in recent years.  I am in excellent health and physical shape, but thats their limit, so it is what it is.  Some jobs like law enforment also may require me to renounce my Canadian citizenship for a security clearance (I hold US citizenship as well).  That is something I absolutely will never do.
Thanks for giving me some starting points to think about.

notreallypaul said:
To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off.

You know from reading here that BMQ and trade training can be a challenge if you have a full-time job. Especially if you are on shift work.

Is there a CAF armoury anywhere near you?

notreallypaul said:
Thanks for giving me some starting points to think about.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

And talk to DAA!

notreallypaul said:
To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off. 

The weekend BMQ schedule would probably be 2 weekends a month.

Also, you would be required to do your DP1 course(length varies depending on trade/MOSID) over the summer, which would be full time. As well, you would require time off for other courses required for career advancement(DP2, PLQ, etc). Some may be offered part time while others would be full time.

It was 20 years ago (or more), but I was a member of 89 Bty in Woodstock, NB and moved to Houlton, Maine. I continued to train in Woodstock (and drive back and forth across the border) for a couple of years, until I took my release and moved to Arizona. Granted, I didn't make any official inquiries, I just did it

notreallypaul said:
I did inquire about a US reserve unit, however I am not eligible as I do not meet their age requirement, I just turned 40 and their cut off is 35 in recent years. 

That is interesting compared to the CAF.

Similar to Emergency Services ( at least in NYC ),
Not have reached 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process.

To be honest, I can't say that I disagree with that.

muskrat89 said:
It was 20 years ago (or more), but I was a member of 89 Bty in Woodstock, NB and moved to Houlton, Maine. I continued to train in Woodstock (and drive back and forth across the border) for a couple of years, until I took my release and moved to Arizona. Granted, I didn't make any official inquiries, I just did it

See also,

Canadian Reserves, just a few questions - Locked.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/80175/post-763605#msg763605
"If you move to the US before you join the Reserves, there will be an effect, and you will in all likelihood not be able to join the Reserves.  If you apply to join the Reserves prior to any plans to move to the US, then there will probably not be any problems."

This is a long shot as it is for trained Reservists, but the OP may, or may not, find this of interest,

Milnet.ca
Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104905.0

Forces.ca
Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

CAN Reservists serving overseas (merged thread)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58217/post-1179622#msg1179622
3 pages.

Since you're already a permanent resident in the US and discouraged from the US Army's age 35 cutoff, have you instead considered the Air National Guard in your state?

This link below says that the ANG age limit is 40: (please scroll down to the list below the article)
https://www.thebalance.com/us-military-enlistment-standards-3354001

While another one says it's 39 for regular US Air Force:
http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

If one reads the various sources online, you'll see the age limit means the cutoff is above the specified age limit, not when they turn into the cutoff age; this means he has until just before his 41st birthday to enlist in the Maine ANG.

I think there may be age waivers as well. You can double check the Maine ANG website to be sure.

HOW TO JOIN
DO YOU QUALIFY?

Non-Prior Service Requirements
    (If you've never been in any military service):
-At least 17 years old (with parental or guardian consent), and not older than 40

I hope the links above can help.

SMA

mariomike said:
That is interesting compared to the CAF.

Similar to Emergency Services ( at least in NYC ),
Not have reached 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process.

To be honest, I can't say that I disagree with that.

See also,

Canadian Reserves, just a few questions - Locked.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/80175/post-763605#msg763605

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104905.0

Forces.ca
Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

CAN Reservists serving overseas (merged thread)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58217/post-1179622#msg1179622
3 pages.

The RFFSA (UK/AUS) and RFTP (US) do not apply in this situation.  The OP would have to have already been a currently serving member of the CAF P Res for consideration under these programs.

Haggis said:
The OP would have to have already been a currently serving member of the CAF P Res for consideration under these programs.

Right.

Which is why I said, "it is for trained Reservists."

Which the OP may be one day, or for others following the discussion.

mariomike said:
Right.

Which is why I said, "it is for trained Reservists."

Which the OP may be one day, or for others following the discussion.

Yup, seen and noted. I wanted to make the distinction between the "trained Reservist", fully qualified to the OFP but now released (which seems to be the OP's state), and the "currently serving Reservist".

It's been a while since I worked this desk, but, at the time, Supp Res members were ineligible to participate in RFFSA/RFTP.

Haggis said:
Yup, seen and noted. I wanted to make the distinction between the "trained Reservist", fully qualified to the OFP but now released (which seems to be the OP's state), and the "currently serving Reservist".

It's been a while since I worked this desk, but, at the time, Supp Res members were ineligible to participate in RFFSA/RFTP.

I remember you are an SME on the subject. < NO sarcasm.
Haggis said:
I am the Canadian Forces desk officer for the RFFSA.

I guess Foreign Service Arrangements are rather like civilian ones, "It's complicated!"  :)

mariomike said:
I remember you are an SME on the subject. < NO sarcasm.

"Was" would be more appropriate.  I am now a few years removed from that world.

I received a number of requests from former CAF Reservists who were living in the States on visas or work permits who wanted to rekindle their military careers, but with a local US NG/Reserve units, but were ineligible to do so due to age, citizenship or gender restrictions (i.e. a former CAF female Infantry NCM wanting to join a NG Infantry unit).  The answer was always the same.  Rejoin the CAF P Res and then apply for attachment to your local NG/Reserve unit under RFTP.

Haggis said:
. . . living in the States on visas or work permits . . .  Rejoin the CAF P Res and then apply for attachment to your local NG/Reserve unit under RFTP.

There are also restrictions as to the residency status of the Reserve Force Member, or at least the member has to make a case that he intends to return to Canada.

The RFFSA will apply to a Reserve Force Member who is in the Receiving State attending school, working for a civilian employer on temporary assignment, or while accompanying a family member who is attending school or on a temporary work assignment.

The usual duration of RFFSA/RFTP attachments was a minimum of one to a maximum of three years, with an option to renew once.  This came in handy for students who completed, for example, a three year bachelor's degree and were remaining in situ for another year or two for a  Masters.

Student visas, work permits and temporary resident permits have an expiry date.  In all cases the end date of an RFFSA/RFTP attachment could not extend beyond the visa/permit expiration date.

Interesting things to think about.

I have no problem with returning to Canada or taking up residence there.  In many ways I like it better. It just seems logistically more difficult for me to get hired in this field there considering I just started where I am a few months ago.  As I wrote earlier, returning to Canada was my intention when I applied to the regular forces.  This job just happened so quickly, and I really did not think it was going to work out as well as it did.  This is of course a great problem to have, as all the options are good, so I am not complaining.

As far as an armoury being nearby, there are probably several good options, Fredericton and Edmundston I know of are both reasonably close.

I would not be opposed to a US air guard unit, assuming I am eligible.  I only just now even looked into it, so I don't know.

notreallypaul said:
Anyway, my basic question is this: Is it reasonable or possible to enlist while living and maintaining my career just west of the border?  Does anyone know someone who does this successfully?

Whilst definitely not the norm, it has been done before near some border cities (ie; Windsor, Sarnia, Niagara Falls).

Joining a CAF Reserve Unit within reasonable distance to your location can be done.  You will need to be able to hold a GoC Security Clearance and find a CAF Reserve Unit that is willing to hire you.

I'd suggest that if you are interested in joining a Reserve Unit close bye, that you make contact with them and then go from there.

Local Reserve Units (at the tabs) and occupation availability, will be shown once you enter your search criteria.    Good luck!

http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

Thank you, this is very helpful.  I was planning to ask you this as someone reccomended you above.  I will call them tomorrow, I was planning on going over to Grand Falls tomorrow so I'll be in the country instead of just looking at it from the hilltop like I was today.  Its that close. :cdn:

Hi everyone,
first let me say, I have searched this website and others and I haven't been able to find much specifically, but if this has already been addressed, I apologize and will not ask again.

Background: I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen. Born/raised in the states, married my college sweetheart who is Canadian. Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. Moved to Canada about a decade ago for my wife's career. Became a naturalized Canadian citizen recently and have been considering joining a local reserve unit (enlisted or officer, don't care) or the cadets as a CIC officer just to get involved again because I miss the camaraderie and discipline. No plans to ever go full time again or make this a career.

My questions are: Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service? If so, was your prior service an impediment in any way? I'm debating whether to try joining. All I have as proof of my prior service is my DD-214 (which includes an honourable discharge and a clean record with several personal/service related awards) that I received when I was discharged over ten years ago. I have not kept in touch with any supervisors and at this point I'm pretty sure my previous CO's are all retired anyway. I certainly can provide references for some of the subordinates I served with, but I haven't kept in touch with my old supervisors. I have no idea how complicated this would be in terms of what the CAF might want beyond my DD-214, old US military references, my old US military medical files, etc. and whether this whole thing would just be a can of worms or whether I'm making this out to be more complicated than it will be.

If there is anyone on here who has gone through this I'd be much obliged to read about your experience joining.

Back