• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former U.S. military service

• Thread starter northamericanrebel
  • Start date
paulc87 said:
Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service?

For reference to this discussion,

Prior U.S military service transfer?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/111445.0

Will the Canadian Armed Forces count time served in the US Army?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108238.0

Will my time in the U.S. Army count for anything?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-914640.html#msg914640
Reply #305

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them 
https://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-914640.html
18 pages,

etc...

paulc87 said:
Hi everyone,
first let me say, I have searched this website and others and I haven't been able to find much specifically, but if this has already been addressed, I apologize and will not ask again.

Background: I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen. Born/raised in the states, married my college sweetheart who is Canadian. Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. Moved to Canada about a decade ago for my wife's career. Became a naturalized Canadian citizen recently and have been considering joining a local reserve unit (enlisted or officer, don't care) or the cadets as a CIC officer just to get involved again because I miss the camaraderie and discipline. No plans to ever go full time again or make this a career.

My questions are: Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service? If so, was your prior service an impediment in any way? I'm debating whether to try joining. All I have as proof of my prior service is my DD-214 (which includes an honourable discharge and a clean record with several personal/service related awards) that I received when I was discharged over ten years ago. I have not kept in touch with any supervisors and at this point I'm pretty sure my previous CO's are all retired anyway. I certainly can provide references for some of the subordinates I served with, but I haven't kept in touch with my old supervisors. I have no idea how complicated this would be in terms of what the CAF might want beyond my DD-214, old US military references, my old US military medical files, etc. and whether this whole thing would just be a can of worms or whether I'm making this out to be more complicated than it will be.

If there is anyone on here who has gone through this I'd be much obliged to read about your experience joining.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on here, but I also suggest that you go into your local CAF Recruiting office and ask them. They're always up to date on what is, and isn't, possible.

mariomike said:
For reference to this discussion,

Prior U.S military service transfer?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/111445.0

Will the Canadian Armed Forces count time served in the US Army?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108238.0

Will my time in the U.S. Army count for anything?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-914640.html#msg914640
Reply #305

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them 
https://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-914640.html
18 pages,

etc...

Thanks, I did see these; I was trying to understand more specifically about the background process for anyone else like me who has US mil service but has been out as long as I have. I didn't see much in those threads answering my specific questions but I really do appreciate the references.

daftandbarmy said:
I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on here, but I also suggest that you go into your local CAF Recruiting office and ask them. They're always up to date on what is, and isn't, possible.

Understood, thank you. I did contact a local reserve unit and even went to the local armoury during a drill night. The recruiter there was very busy and we didn't talk much but I had some great conversations with some of the reservists. At the moment, I'm out of town for my job and not near an office, so I thought I'd ask my questions on here in case there are any other Americans like me who have done this.

paulc87 said:
I really do appreciate the references.

Good. Here is another,

AMERICAN INTERESTED IN CANADIAN ARMY 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13198.0
2 pages.

As mentioned, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

mariomike said:
Good. Here is another,

AMERICAN INTERESTED IN CANADIAN ARMY 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13198.0
2 pages.

As mentioned, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Great. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm already a Canadian citizen and have been for about 5 years. I'm not asking whether Americans can join the Canadian military. I was just looking for any Americans on here who might have prior US military experience before they joined the Canadian Forces. I wanted to know what their experiences were. This thread you've merged my message into, like the previous one, was not what I was asking. I mean no disrespect but can I please have my original post back as a stand alone thread? So far there is no other post/thread that applies specifically to what I've been asking.

For a person from another country they must reside in the US with a green card then go to a recruiting station. The Army just announced that they missed their quota. If you meet the requirements join the USAF or USN and learn a trade.If you go in the Army you would be going to Afghanistan at some point.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

tomahawk6 said:
For a person from another country they must reside in the US with a green card then go to a recruiting station. The Army just announced that they missed their quota. If you meet the requirements join the USAF or USN and learn a trade.If you go in the Army you would be going to Afghanistan at some point.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

I think you misread the post.

The father of a peer of mine did a tour in Vietnam and then joined the CAF sometime in the 70s or 80s.  He went on to serve in the PPCLI reaching MWO I think.

Not sure what if any qualifications he was granted to carry over, or awards and declarations as well.

I have also served with a good number of UK expats, so it's not terribly uncommon. 

To get the goods on the actual facts and process though I highly suggest you go to your local CFRC or call them.  I am not and have never been a recruiter so I dont feel I can honestly give you any advice.

Times have changed but I recall Basic and we had a former Czech soldier who was fluent in a number of languages. He had defected and the Army was going to send to cook school.At the other extreme was a former FFL turned NCO in the US army. He definitely was an impressive guy and quite good at setting an ambush some tactics were not taught usually. It was good to know stuff. He might set his ambush 50 meters off a trail or road.

paulc87 said:
. . . . I was just looking for any Americans on here who might have prior US military experience before they joined the Canadian Forces. I wanted to know what their experiences were. This thread you've merged my message into, like the previous one, was not what I was asking. I mean no disrespect but can I please have my original post back as a stand alone thread? So far there is no other post/thread that applies specifically to what I've been asking.

If you are only accepting the advice of other Yanquis who joined the CAF, then you may have a long wait for someone to mosey on past this thread or even a standalone thread with the exact criteria you want .  We are a relatively small community who frequent this forum and while there has been the occasional foreigner who has passed this way on his search for info about joining the CF, at the present none of the regular participants (to my recollection) are in your category.  The consolidation of similar questions into larger threads is one of the common forum management processes that we have come to expect; it works a little better for us than multiple standalone threads.

In looking at your original post, my take is that the essence of your request is;
paulc87 said:
. . .  dual US-Canadian citizen. . . Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. . .  considering joining a local reserve unit (enlisted or officer, don't care) or the cadets as a CIC officer. . .

. . .  was your prior service an impediment in any way? . . . . I have no idea how complicated this would be in terms of what the CAF might want beyond my DD-214, old US military references, my old US military medical files, etc. and whether this whole thing would just be a can of worms or whether I'm making this out to be more complicated than it will be.

You are in the same boat as any other former foreigner (regardless of country, though slightly different for those from countries with the Queen as head of state) who came to our shores and now wishes to try military service again.  You already meet the number one criteria for enrolment - you have Canadian citizenship.  First big hurdle passed.

You may be "making this out to be more complicated than it will be" but it will be more complicated than for someone who was born, lived and was educated in the Great White North.  During your enrolment processing you will likely be asked to provide verification that you were indeed born in the USA, lived where you said you did, received whatever education you say you have (and that it was equivalent to a Canadian education - though that is not usually a problem for Americans) and that you have no criminal history in any of the countries in which you have lived.  Making a claim that you have previous military service will probably be one of the least complicated aspects of your enrolment process, unless of course you are seeking some advanced standing based on your US military training.  Then a PLAR would have to be completed before your enrolment and that may take some time.  Probably the easiest way to get a slight jump on the process is to request a copy of your OMPF.  Just the fact that you served in the US military shouldn't be an impediment to joining the CAF, neither should dual citizenship unlike the US military.

I am curious why after 8 years you would opt to join the CF ? I am guessing that you may be a Captain with only another year or so before selection to Major ? Thanks

tomahawk6 said:
I am curious why after 8 years you would opt to join the CF ? I am guessing that you may be a Captain with only another year or so before selection to Major ? Thanks

Maybe this has something to do with it.

paulc87 said:
. . .  married my college sweetheart who is Canadian. Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. Moved to Canada about a decade ago for my wife's career. . . .

paulc87 said:
Understood, thank you. I did contact a local reserve unit and even went to the local armoury during a drill night. The recruiter there was very busy and we didn't talk much but I had some great conversations with some of the reservists. At the moment, I'm out of town for my job and not near an office, so I thought I'd ask my questions on here in case there are any other Americans like me who have done this.

While the reserve recruiters might have some insight, probably a better way to go is to get to the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre closest to you and ask those questions.  They would have the most updated info.

After reading the thread I'm not catching what your questions are specifically, but here are some recruiting comments.

1) Can you join?
The basic requirements to join the CAF are
a) Age (between the ages of 16 and depending on enrollment plan upper age is 46-57) - from the sounds of if you meet that requirement
b) Citizenship (be a Canadian Citizen) - you state you meet that requirement
c) Education - depending on the occupation you wish to join is depending on the requirement education - if you educated outside of Canada you will need to have that education assess by an agency such as World Education Services (http://www.wes.org)

2) Will your previous service hinder your enrollment?
Nope, it will be treated like any other employer you had outside of Canada

3) Will the CAF recognize your prior service?
There are some situations where yes, however being that you served with a military that doesn't have the Queen as the Head of State; it is not likely that much (if anything) will be granted to you from your prior service with the US Military.

As suggested, your best option is to speak with the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre in your location; not to put down the Reserves, but I worked as a Recruiter in a Reserve Unit many moons ago and did so without any specialized training.  The recruiters at the CFRC have to do a recruiter course just to be there :)

In response to paulc87, I've not seen previous allied/US military service hinder enrollment.  My experience is from the other side of the coin - as a recruiter and a Reserve Unit leader. Also, my experience is somewhat dated, but having followed the conversations on this site, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

One of the big hurdles is Canadian citizenship.  I had a Brit trying to join, and at that time, the citizenship requirement was the first Go/No Go test.  Since he did not have Citizenship, we could not get him into the system.  As soon as he received his citizenship, the system kicked in.

Another hurdle is the criminal record check, and the background check for the time you were (out of the country - Edit out) not living in Canada.  The rules have changed over the years, but it still takes time for the checks to take place.  You may have to initiate some yourself.

Another hurdle is having your previous service reviewed.  The unit will need copy of course reports and/ or qualification records.  These will be submitted to the review authorities, usually Subject Matter Experts at Army/Navy/Airforce HQ, who will evaluate the qualifications, and experience, and provide an equivalency.  This is a process that has seen a number of revisions over the years.  Sometimes this process can be done while the recruiting screening process is on-going, and at other times the authorities refuse to consider the matter until after enrollment.

I've seen this process happen quickly - an allied CF-18 pilot on an exchange posting to a Canadian CF-18 squadron who wanted to join the RCAF.  Normally it takes some time, as the HQ authorities make contact with someone who can provide current information on the equivalent Canadian qualifications of the foreign military experience and qualifications under review.

I've seen a former US Marine join a reserve unit - he had to provide info that he was not liable for further US Marine Reserve service, but this was done quickly from the US side, and his processing was as quick (or as slow) as the other applicants applying at the same time.  In his case, the review of qualifications and experience was completed after enrollment, and was done quickly.

Hope this helps.

BCOG

Back