• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fort Garry Horse Regiment

Jaydub

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Hi there.  I'm currently in the city of Winnipeg on a namesake city visit with members of my ship, HMCS Winnipeg.

My Grandfather was in Fort Garry Horse during World War II.  I would like to come by and check see the Regiment/Armoury sometime.  Is there a Regimental Museum or something that I could check out?

Thanks.

Jaydub said:
Is there a Regimental Museum or something that I could check out?

http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/phpweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=17&MMN_position=18:18

Thank you very much.  The site says the Museum is open Mondays.  I may drop by this evening or next week.  Are Monday evenings parade nights then? 
Are there any members of this site who belong to the regiment?
I'd love to see the mess...  :)

As I recall the FGH parades on Tuesday nights so if no joy in contacting the museum tonight you could give the Orderly Room a shout tomorrow.

I visited the museum earlier this evening, and it was amazing.  I was very impressed by all the artifacts.  It was one of the best military museums I've ever visited, actually.  I was hoping, at best, to find my grandfather's name in the unit's nominal role.  I found that and much, MUCH, more...

The guys who worked there were kind enough to take me through an electronic copy of the Regiment's war diary.  The information they had on my grandfather was amazing!  I found records of promotions, coursing, postings, and him being shipped overseas.  I also found that he spent 28 days in detention for "1. forcing a guard, 2. striking a guard, and 3. being in a place other than his quarters after lights out". *LOL*  I also found his D-day landing craft roster, and when it was noted that he had received permission to marry my grandmother, whom he had met in England.

I got some print outs where he's mentioned in the war diary.  Afterwards, I thanked the gentlemen profusely, signed the book, and made a small donation.  But I'm not sure they realise just how much it meant to me.  My grandfather died when my mother was 5 years old.  She has very limited memories of him, and my grandmother doesn't like to speak about their wartime experiences.  For the first time in my life, I actually know something about this mysterious relative.

Jaydub said:
For the first time in my life, I actually know something about this mysterious relative.

Jaydub, if you want to know know more about your grandfather, his personnel record is in Ottawa. Perhaps you know that anyway?

You can get an electronic copy of the FGH War Diary from DHH. Possibly they may have the Sqn War Diaries also.

You can search here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/faces/001048-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=ug2irn49k3tob6duapg96oies3&submit_army=Army&q5=&q4=&q2=&interval=20

You may run across a picture of your grandfather. Besides searching the FGH, also search Armoured Corps, the Bde/Div for photos. When you find the FGH photos, search the Photographers name to see what else comes up. Reason the photographer's were attached to units for periods of time and not all their photos are on line. If you don't find your grandfather you will at least get the atmosphere, uniforms, conditions and possible some of his buddies. The flavour of the times.
You should try the RWpgRif Museum at Minto Armouries, 969 St Matthews Ave on Tuesday, 1400-2200. Exhibitions of RWpgRif, WLI, Wpg Grens. Official CF Museum as is the FGH.

Rifleman62 said:
You can get an electronic copy of the FGH War Diary from DHH. Possibly they may have the Sqn War Diaries also.

Actually, you will find them at the National Archives, if they are anywhere.  DHH is not part of the National Archives, but a part of DND.

There is a fee to get them, as well.

Back