• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fort York Armoury to be given up by 2031

Am I being tested? :D

You probably know this better than I, but as I recall the 48th first started parading at Upper Canada College and have always had close ties with a lot of connected people. They play at the first game of the Maple Leafs every season.

Queen's Own has been a part of the city since before Confederation.

As I see it they're both downtown Units.

More of an education for other posters....but with your historical reasoning where should the regiments I asked go...it piqued my interest and curiosty of where they should end up...

Why, do you feel that you are being tested?  

dileas

tess

Vigilant said:
Am I being tested? :D

You probably know this better than I, but as I recall the 48th first started parading at Upper Canada College and have always had close ties with a lot of connected people. They play at the first game of the Maple Leafs every season.

Queen's Own has been a part of the city since before Confederation.

As I see it they're both downtown Units.

Just a minor correction re Upper Canada College and the 48th.

The 48th occupied the buildings of the Old Upper Canada College location that had been vacated when the College moved to it's new location. The old College had been located on the North side of King Street West I believe it is now called Bishop Strachan Park. The 48th  remained there till the University Armouries was opened in 1894.

Aye Dileas

the 48th regulator said:
More of an education for other posters....but with your historical reasoning where should the regiments I asked go...it piqued my interest and curiosty of where they should end up...
Why, do you feel that you are being tested? 

Sometimes... But that is good, we should continously test ourselves and improve on what we find lacking. Too many people aren't interested in history, which is a real shame when it comes to the military and our own Units.

Art Johnson said:
The 48th occupied the buildings of the Old Upper Canada College location that had been vacated when the College moved to it's new location. The old College had been located on the North side of King Street West I believe it is now called Bishop Strachan Park. The 48th  remained there till the University Armouries was opened in 1894.

Thanks. I was just recalling what a buddy of mine from the 48th said (who I think also said he used to go to UCC).  That is one heck of an interesting historical tidbit. I'm not too familiar with the history of UCC, but I've gone past the park a few times.

there you go,

you have used a quote from two former 48th Highlanders...

anytime you need a question answered, or decide to join the dark side, feel free to ask us.

dileas

tess

I appreciate that.

I've considered the 48th before. Lots of good friends in there.

MCpl Young was one of the instructors on my course, and so was Sgt Martin (before he left last year, just so you know which one I'm talking about). Good people, good times...

Highland Laddie said:
PBI,

Is the Winnipeg Armoury you refer to McGregor or Minto? I know McGregor has structural issues, but I had heard that there was a plan to build a new 'hanger' style building in the back for vehicles and class rooms. Is there merit to this plan, or is it 'pie in the sky' dreaming? Cheers.

I am now a bit out of the loop, but as of July when I left 38 CBG, the idea was still only in a formative stage. There was no "plan": in fact we had not yet even written the SOR (Statement of Requirement) that is a key document in such a project. As well, 17 Wing still has not completed their portion of an Armoury Option Analysis that we started three years ago, and passed to them for technical review of five main options. Building a new Armoury, leasing a new Armoury, or going into a joint-use venture were three of the options IIRC.

Having said that, the most likely Armoury to be replaced is McGregor, which is the least suitable and least structurally sound of the two. Minto is becoming more and more crowded all the time (there are now no less than four different CF Reserve chains of command represented in it   as well as Cadets and Museums) but it is still basically sound. The "hangar" project you refer to was still on hold when I left, waiting for 17 Wing to provide the SOR (the project was actually put forward not by 38 CBG but by 17 Wg TEME Sqn, who once had a Det in Minto). If it were to be approved, it would replace the ancient vehicle garage at the rear of Minto. It will probably still have to be at the rear, as there has been a history of local resistance to any attempt to construct new DND buildings in Minto Park across the street in the additional parking area.

Cheers.

Back