• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Free Education

I am curious to see what "eligible service" means as well. I will have 9.5 years pensionable when I release.... 5.5 years are post-university (paid for + salary through ROTP). If my pensionable years are all eligible service, it's literally a gravy train for me if I'm eligible for another 40k for going back and getting a second degree (not that I will be going down that route... well I sure hope I don't end up back in university, anyway).

ModlrMike said:
As I read things, probably not. Obviously, it's early days still, so the policy documents have yet to be written.

Well that sucks. I figured as much, but don't see why it has to be like that. I guess we will wait and see. I think most people are going to be too lazy or used to their pay to take advantage of this, but I'm glad it's coming and I really hope they don't give the medically released guys any issues about accessing it, either.

I wonder what a 12 year pension transfer value would look like for a Cpl or Sgt?  ;D

Spectrum said:
I wonder what a 12 year pension transfer value would look like for a Cpl or Sgt?  ;D

Depends on a whole bunch of factors, including age, pay for the past five years, interest rates... and remember that only a portion of the transfer value come to you as a locked in RRSP amount - the rest comes to you as income taxed in your hands in the year you receive it.

Spectrum said:
I haven't had a chance to look into the details yet. Has anyone been able to confirm whether a RegF member could release, collect these benefits, and serve in the PRes?

If so, it would be a win-win for both the member (part time employment) and the PRes (NCO production)

At this time I feel comfortable confirming that as currently written, you could not:

C-42: "5.‍6 For greater certainty, the Minister is not permitted to pay an education and training benefit to a person who is a member."

"Member" is defined in current law as "an officer or a non-commissioned member of the Canadian Forces, as those terms are defined in subsection 2(1) of the National Defence Act"

When you go from Regs to PRes, that's a component transfer, not a release. You remain a member. So we will see regs who previously would have gone PRes will not do so in order to access that benefit. Now, I don't se any reason one couldn't release completely, access these benefits, then get back in- but how many will bother?

That's the first reading version of the bill. Much will remain to be done. I'm well connected with others doing advisory/advocacy work with VAC, and I will try to have this looked at. I don't know how it works for the Americans - If you can complete active duty, access GI Bill education benefits, and still train with the reserve/National Guard. I see no inherent reason this shouldn't be possible, and I think it would be better for the military institution if it is.

It's a generous benefit, and I'm very happy to see it. It will really help a lot of troops out. It will probably have a significant impact on Reg Force recruiting- join at 18 with the plan to get out at 24 or 25 and take the education. Some will, some will stay in and make a career out of it. It's just not going to do the reserve many favours. Not the end of the world if it stays as written, but it woul dbe nice if this were changed.

Thanks to you both.

Hopefully you get some traction Brihard. The military was a great part time job. It's just not an ideal lifelong career for everyone. I thought I remember my US buddy telling me that they could still do the reserves once they start drawing their benefits, but can't confirm. Regardless, we run our country and can set our own rules. It would be a shame for those that still want to serve, and the military as a whole.

I'm curious to see how they will let us draw funds for "living expenses". In the US, GI bill recipients get a monthly living allowance equivalent to that paid to serving E-5 (MCpls) If it were up to me, I'd pay for school with my own money and draw the 80K as a monthly living stipend.

dapaterson said:
As written, it suggests that you can't get both benefits simultaneously, but once the voc rehab is complete the education/transition benefit would be available.

True, but if you get off voc rehab, you lose your earnings loss. So yeah, you have the flexibility with education, but how you feed yourself and your family for up to 4 years? And if you stay on VR for the earnings loss, you're stuck with the restrictions.

Disappointing

RobA said:
True, but if you get off voc rehab, you lose your earnings loss. So yeah, you have the flexibility with education, but how you feed yourself and your family for up to 4 years? And if you stay on VR for the earnings loss, you're stuck with the restrictions.

Disappointing
That 80 grand seems to be for living expenses as well as school. I could see a scenario where one does 2 years of school under VOC rehab at 90% then spends half the money finishing their degree and half supplementing their pension. Hopefully, we will see this fleshed out soon and can get some concrete details.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I believe it MAY cover living expenses relayed to school (I. E if you have to move, your rent would be covered) but I don't think it would act as a checking account, allowing you to buy food, or just have some spending money.

And I don't think a voc rehab plan could be open ended. I think it has to end with a marketable skill. I don't think VAC would approve a VR plan that DIDNT end up with you getting some sort of certification.  Like, I don't think you could say "I'll take two years towards a degree now, and then get out" even if you told them you then planned on finishing the degree after you get out of the VR

Kokanee said:
"A NEW VETERANS’ EDUCATION AND TRAINING BENEFIT

After putting themselves in harm’s way in service to our country, our women and men in uniform deserve a successful transition to civilian life. A smooth transition is vital for the overall well-being of our veterans and their families. To help, Budget 2017 proposes to amend legislation to create a new Education and Training Benefit. In short, this benefit would provide more money for veterans to go to college, university or a technical school after they complete their service, through an investment of $133.9 million over six years, starting in 2016–17, and $10.3 million per year ongoing. The new program would begin in April 2018 for veterans honourably released on or after April 1, 2006. Veterans with 6 years of eligible service would be entitled to up to $40,000 of benefits, while veterans with 12 years of eligible service would be entitled to up to $80,000 of benefits."

Source: https://www.scribd.com/document/342740440/Budget-2017-En#

Still a year away, I like to do my DAdmin before I get too old to think coherently.......

Lightguns said:
Still a year away, I like to do my DAdmin before I get too old to think coherently.......

I wouldn't get too excited about that. From my reading, it's means tested, and seems intended for those who require training in order to gain post service employment. I'm willing to be proved wrong though.

My family is quite intrigued by the possibility of some college level training upon my husband's release. With 26 years of service it's been awhile since DH has been in school, though! Might be a shocker to sit with a bunch of 19 year olds. See attached Fact Sheet from the Budget. It says living expenses, tuition, books. We live in a college town so maybe, just maybe there is a way to make this work!

Attachments

• IMG_3369.PNG
    IMG_3369.PNG
    396.3 KB · Views: 262
While the extra money is nice, hugely disappointed overall. What is really needed is a complete overhaul of how medically released members are retrained for the civilian workforce;

a) Boot manulife financial to the curb
b) kill the SISIP Voc Rehab program
c) Create newer streamlined program which combines VA Voc Rehab with this new funding envelope. Something along the lines of "four years of living expenses @ 90% of pre-release wages, plus tuition, books etc".

Back