• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

And 500k participants…

The convoy is expected in Arnprior on Friday. They expect three to four hundred trucks. While certainly not an insignificant number by any means I’m not sure how they are able to fit that many people in them.
Ask the traffickers along the Texas/Mexico border how many people you can fit in a 53' trailer.

It sounds like the hyperbolic language you hear when a bunch of pissed off people get together and talk. You also cut the quote off to support your narrative. He went on to say "Not from our guys though, but from somebody. I'd like to see that." (paraphrase)

That is not a threat.
How many other trucking protests are going to Ottawa, exactly? And even if they were speaking about another trucker, that's still one of them inciting someone to try to ram Parliament.

Also, even if it was just "locker room talk hyperbolic language", they are recording it. C'mon - in the age of social media, did they seriously think that people would see that and think "oh they're just pissed off and they're talking - they can't be serious"? People are not supposed to do that because they can be taken out of context.

In this case, I'm not sure what other context they can be taken in - that guy is pretty explicit in what he wants "someone" to do. I'm pretty sure that once they recorded it, someone was thinking "oh crap - hopefully no one sees this."

While I'm here, let's dispell your other canard about special interests stealing the donations and laughing about it. You can read how wrong you were about it straight from the horses mouth. BTW, your particular bent on this was started by none other than Gerald Butts on Twitter and good little communists are trying to make it stick.
Remius already mentioned it it so I won't talk about trusting the "oh yeah we totally have it in hand" line on FB, linked to a Protonmail account which is specifically designed to be anonymous.

I'm more concerned that she never mentions who the accountants and lawyers are, or what firm they work for (or working for themselves, etc). So how are the supporters supposed to check whether or not she's lying? If she is so sure of their support, she would loudly be saying "I am working with XYZ accountant and ABC lawyers to ensure that the money gets to where it's needed." The fact that they don't is yet another red flag.

The folks organizing the truck rally might be trying to run a 'clean' event, but they might not be able to control who attaches themselves to it, nor distance themselves from them if things go sideways.

And on that note, here's what Jason LaFace (the convoy's main organizer in Ontario and the first president of the PPC's Sudbury riding association) said: "We have a group of constitutional lawyers that have been working with our team," he said. "We're getting the rest of our signatures and we're having them compel the government to dissolve government."

Are these people insane? Do they think they'll get to Ottawa and the government will just say "Okay, you're right, we quit."?

Convoy's message muddies closer it gets to capital

Saw this in The Beaverton. Yes, it is satire. But, there may - or may not - be an element of truth to it.

Unvaccinated truckers demand Canada's government change US government's rules on unvaccinated truckers.

Pretty hard to win Canadian hearts and minds with a slow-rolling blockade creating severe traffic congestion, and fear of food shortages.

The folks organizing the truck rally might be trying to run a 'clean' event, but they might not be able to control who attaches themselves to it, nor distance themselves from them if things go sideways.

Teamsters Canada and the Canadian Trucking Association made sure to publicly distance themselves.

As for their Gofundme,
Well, you pays your money, you takes your chances!

The “United we roll” protest was a flash in the pan that achieved nothing- just an angsty Western alienation tantrum. I see no reason to think this will be different.

A veiled WEXIT / Maverick protest?

Saw this in The Beaverton. Yes, it is satire. But, there may - or may not - be an element of truth to it.

Pretty hard to win Canadian hearts and minds with a slow-rolling blockade creating severe traffic congestion, and fear of food shortages.

Teamsters Canada and the Canadian Trucking Association made sure to publicly distance themselves.

As for their Gofundme,

A veiled WEXIT / Maverick protest?

WEXIT?

Meanwhile, in BC

episode 14 love GIF

LaFace asked before shifting his argument to perceived oppression and comparing mask mandates to living in Nazi Germany.

Said Jason LaFace, the convoy's main organizer in Ontario.

That's interesting, considering I live in a town where the mayor was scolded for daring to lower his mask in a park.

Well well well, talk about leading by example look at who it is. The mayor himself ignoring social distancing rules and treating PPE like it's a joke.

And on that note, here's what Jason LaFace (the convoy's main organizer in Ontario and the first president of the PPC's Sudbury riding association) said: "We have a group of constitutional lawyers that have been working with our team," he said. "We're getting the rest of our signatures and we're having them compel the government to dissolve government."

Are these people insane? Do they think they'll get to Ottawa and the government will just say "Okay, you're right, we quit."?

Convoy's message muddies closer it gets to capital
The truck convoy is now a crazy train.

I will be surprised if they make it into Ottawa and even more so if they get to Parliament Hill.
Low of minus 23 on Saturday. The cold is always a factor when it comes to protests in Ottawa. But we’ll see. I can’t see any real reason they would be denied the chance to protest on the hill unless they forgot to file their permit.

Well it kind of had to change tracks once the US restricted crossborder truckers to vaccinated-only.
The US didn't just pull a fast one though - that was announced long ago. So it's not really "change tracks", more "press on regardless".

Low of minus 23 on Saturday. The cold is always a factor when it comes to protests in Ottawa. But we’ll see. I can’t see any real reason they would be denied the chance to protest on the hill unless they forgot to file their permit.
I'm just gonna put it out there and suggest they didn't have a permit in the first place. I'm not sure how long it takes for those things but given the speed at which this all came about, I doubt the City of Ottawa (or the Fed Gov, I guess) would have such a quick turnaround for something like this.

It's also a perfect "out" - organizers can suddenly drop the protest, say something like "out of safety concerns for the truckers, yadayada... we won't continue as planned", and keep the money.

The US didn't just pull a fast one though - that was announced long ago. So it's not really "change tracks", more "press on regardless".

I'm just gonna put it out there and suggest they didn't have a permit in the first place. I'm not sure how long it takes for those things but given the speed at which this all came about, I doubt the City of Ottawa (or the Fed Gov, I guess) would have such a quick turnaround for something like this.

It's also a perfect "out" - organizers can suddenly drop the protest, say something like "out of safety concerns for the truckers, yadayada... we won't continue as planned", and keep the money.
Or they will do like every other protest group that forgets to file or ask for a permit and claim they were denied the right to protest. I’ve seen that a few times.

It can be processed in 10 business days or so. Schedule permitting. I doubt anything is planned to conflict with that day. As mentioned, downtown is ghost town most Saturdays at this time of the year.

"The campaign’s GoFundMe description originally claimed the funds would be disbursed to truckers to cover the cost of fuel for truck drivers taking part in the convoy, but on Sunday that was changed to state an arrangement was made with GoFundMe to send the money directly to a bulk fuel supplier and not the organizers, and that excess funds would be donated to a veteran’s organization."

"The campaign’s GoFundMe description originally claimed the funds would be disbursed to truckers to cover the cost of fuel for truck drivers taking part in the convoy, but on Sunday that was changed to state an arrangement was made with GoFundMe to send the money directly to a bulk fuel supplier and not the organizers, and that excess funds would be donated to a veteran’s organization."

Sounds like they weren’t exactly prepared or that they had no real plan.

The GoFundMe freeze was dropped. The organization has met the GFM concerns. The current total puts it close to 6 million. $6,000,000 and climbing is a pretty amazing figure for grass roots organizations, hell, any organization. All given by Mom & Pop and their neighbors. No big corporate donations. Just hard working everyday people who think this government is out of control. And that's a lot of people.

Back