• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I think the PP faction of the party is perfectly content being a regional protest party.

"PP"? Could you clarify what you mean by the initialism/acronym. Is is Pierre Poilievre? People's Party? Or does it refer to tiny masculine reproductive equipment?

I suppose in context of "regional protest party" it could refer to any of or all three. Sarcasm aside, I don't think any of them are content to being a regional protest party, but they labour under the fantasy that a majority will magically rise up and accept their platform without question or need to modify it.

Currently there are people who are in the CPC who are not doing the party any favours .
The "I'm totally in favour of conversion therapy for homosexuals....especially if it causes physical pain. And what's wrong with burning witches anyway?" crowd.
If you think I'm joking attend.one of the party functions.
There's not as many as there were, not when Max Bernier's party is an option.
But still they are there and they are more vocal then the rest of the party.
Say what you want about the Liberals they have very tight party discipline. You rarely hear about their loons.

Say what you want about the Liberals they have very tight party discipline. You rarely hear about their loons.
they have the NDP and Green Party for the loons. The PPC is only relatively new. Give it time and maybe they’ll migrate.

No, but we see them on camera and read about them in the news from time to time :)

MP says he urinated on camera 'without realizing' month after being caught naked​

MP says he urinated on camera 'without realizing' month after being caught naked​

he finishes jogging, goes home to change. Camera on.

Okay.

Resigns…says he is stepping away from his duties to get “assistance”.

Needs help with what?

From Ottawa Police:

OPS said:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, March 28, 2022 8:00 am

(Ottawa) – The Ottawa Police Service has arrested and charged Randall HILLIER, 64 years old, of Perth, Ontario. Hillier is the Member of Provincial Parliament for Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston.

In February, Ottawa Police received multiple complaints about social media posts and other activities of an individual as part of the ongoing illegal protests. An investigation was commenced and information gathered by a police task force initiated to investigate criminal behaviour during the protest. That task force continues its work.

HILLIER was charged by the Criminal Investigations Unit with:

• CCC 430 (3) Mischief/Obstruct Property Exceeding $5000 X1
  • CCC 464 (a) Counsel An Uncommitted Indictable Offence (Mischief) X2
  • CCC 430 (3) Mischief/Obstruct Property Exceeding $5000 X1
  • CCC 129 (a) Obstruct/Resist Person Aiding Public/Peace Officer X1
  • CCC 129 (a) Obstruct/Resist A Public Officer X2
  • CCC 270 (1) (a) Assault Peace Or Public Officer X1
  • CCC 464 (a) Counsel An Uncommitted Indictable X1
He is scheduled to appear in court today.

The assault police/peace officer is the only one that really jumps out at me, the rest is pretty par for the course. I’m not sure offhand which incident that pertains to.

Anyway, charges laid, innocent til proven guilty etc. Significant move by OPS though.

Does "CCC 270 (1) (a) Assault Peace Or Public Officer X1" have to be a police officer, per se? Can he have "assaulted" a by-law enforcement officer, for example, and still be charged with that?

Does "CCC 270 (1) (a) Assault Peace Or Public Officer X1" have to be a police officer, per se? Can he have "assaulted" a by-law enforcement officer, for example, and still be charged with that?
In the course of their duties yes. It can vary by the personality of the jurisdiction and even the time.

Generally, bylaw officers in the course of their duties are peace officers when using an authority- a police officer is a peace officer all the time when at work. There are some off work considerations but for the purpose of your comment this works.

This has gone back and forth, and even jurisdictions next to each other can vary of how they treat it.

From Ottawa Police:

The assault police/peace officer is the only one that really jumps out at me, the rest is pretty par for the course. I’m not sure offhand which incident that pertains to.

Anyway, charges laid, innocent til proven guilty etc. Significant move by OPS though.
CCC 464 (a) Counsel An Uncommitted Indictable X1. Twice. So, even though no illegal act was committed, you can be charged for counselling said act? What about the bipedal humanoid entity that didn't commit the indictable act? Can they be charged with having bad thought? Minority Report was supposed to be sci fi, not a blueprint for a legal system.

CCC 464 (a) Counsel An Uncommitted Indictable X1. Twice. So, even though no illegal act was committed, you can be charged for counselling said act? What about the bipedal humanoid entity that didn't commit the indictable act? Can they be charged with having bad thought? Minority Report was supposed to be sci fi, not a blueprint for a legal system.
Apparently it goes to intent. I suppose it depends on that and just how serious the counsel is.

So if I counsel a woman I am involved with to kill her husband and I do so with the intent of her seing it through but she decides that maybe I’ve gone too far and reports me by saying this guy is trying to get me to kill my husband would that not lead to charges? Seems like it might.

I’m sure some more learned people about the law will explain it better.

I had a quick look into it as this is the first time I’ve seen charges like this.

It explains it fairly well even if it’s dated from 2014.

You bet your ass you can be charged with counseling even though you fail to achieve your desired ends. Someone else being smart enough not to do it doesn’t mean you haven’t committed the offence of counselling them to. Counseling means you’re basically trying to actively encourage or incite an offence to be committed. It’s your intent that that crime happen, by another party doing it, and you take active steps to try to achieve that through encouragement. There’s nothing new about this law, nor anything political in its use.

The specifics of that alleged count will be interesting. I won’t speculate about this ongoing criminal case, but I have a few ideas about what it refers to.

I think Mr Hillier's position ~ as an elected MPP ~ and his considerable flair for publicity make his comments and "advice" during the demonstration/occupation/whatever more likely to be influential and, therefore, make him different from someone who was just dancing around and screaming "F_ _k Trudeau!" or "Burn it down!" (I did hear both comments on one (and more, in the case of the first comment) of my walkabouts.)

Back