• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Ummmmmmm, most of the protesters were from the West
Tough to gauge with certainty, but I don’t believe this to be accurate. Certainly a hard core of the initial protest came in from out west and formed a disproportionate part of the vehicles that actually parked and jammed up Wellington and a few nearby streets. The crowd swelled, particularly on weekends, from locals or people within a few hours of Ottawa- those who could travel here same day, and in some cases were just here for the weekends. There were quite a few Ontario or Quebec registered vehicles, and there were many more protesters than vehicles. The convoy from out west ultimately formed a core but very fractional portion of the protest. A bunch of them melted away after the first week, and by the time downtown was retaken by police, I’d say most of the crowd were from within a day’s drive of Ottawa. Most of the convoy vehicles were gone by the timeWellington was retaken on the Saturday. Certainly, the most dedicated core (many of whom were arrested) did come from that key group from out west, and the ones who ‘stuck it out’. They just weren’t the majority.

In any case, I offered my demographic observation only because others seemed curious about it. It was not, to my eye, a racially diverse crowd. I’m not gonna try to attribute any real meaning to that.

Well then maybe you should trust your gut. I am going by the media posts, and who was arrested.
Well that's what I mean. I'm not denying that the key players and the core group of truckers were from the western provinces. However, you said "most of the protesters were from the West", and I'm just curious as to :
1. whether you're referring to the core group of around 250 protestors who were mainly truckers and their supporters and stayed there the longest, or the larger group of protestors that peaked at anywhere from 5k to 18k; and
b. what you are basing this assertion on ("most of the protesters being from the west").

The convoy claims it was from all over Canada. Unless they were exaggerating?

That is an understatement. Facebook posts were claiming 50 000 to 250 000 truck involved in the convoy

Giving each truck in the convoy 70 feet long , truck and trailer ( smaller trailers)
Taking half that many trucks 25 000 x 70 feet of truck 1 750 000 feet. If bumper to bumper, general rule of safety says that is not safe driving so let me give them 25 feet between trucks 25 000 x 25 feet of safety area another 625 000 feet of space taken up on the highway.

Gives roughly 2 375 000 feet of highway taken up by truckers.
1 mile = 5280 feet
That would mean the convoy with 25 000 truck in it would be around 449 miles long. If my math is right.
In Ontario that convoy of trucks would be stretched from the Metcalfe Street exit off the 417 ( the main exit to Parliament Hill) to almost Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.

The numbers the convoy group were giving as facts were so far off, it is unbelievable.
Cleaning the streets, and the War Memorial as acts of kindness, how about the trash they left on the streets?

But it is over and done with but the lasting effects will be here with us as Canadians forever.

The Parliament section is under a higher level of security. Talk of the streets around it being blocked to traffic just like they do in the US around the Whitehouse area.

This protest was start to the end of the National Front Lawn. Limited access will slowly take over and we as Canadians will over be able to look over a fence to see the Historical Buildings that make up Parliament Hill.

The convoy claims it was from all over Canada. Unless they were exaggerating?

That is an understatement. Facebook posts were claiming 50 000 to 250 000 truck involved in the convoy

Giving each truck in the convoy 70 feet long , truck and trailer ( smaller trailers)
Taking half that many trucks 25 000 x 70 feet of truck 1 750 000 feet. If bumper to bumper, general rule of safety says that is not safe driving so let me give them 25 feet between trucks 25 000 x 25 feet of safety area another 625 000 feet of space taken up on the highway.

Gives roughly 2 375 000 feet of highway taken up by truckers.
1 mile = 5280 feet
That would mean the convoy with 25 000 truck in it would be around 449 miles long. If my math is right.
In Ontario that convoy of trucks would be stretched from the Metcalfe Street exit off the 417 ( the main exit to Parliament Hill) to almost Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.

The numbers the convoy group were giving as facts were so far off, it is unbelievable.
Cleaning the streets, and the War Memorial as acts of kindness, how about the trash they left on the streets?

But it is over and done with but the lasting effects will be here with us as Canadians forever.

The Parliament section is under a higher level of security. Talk of the streets around it being blocked to traffic just like they do in the US around the Whitehouse area.

This protest was start to the end of the National Front Lawn. Limited access will slowly take over and we as Canadians will over be able to look over a fence to see the Historical Buildings that make up Parliament Hill.

This has been in and out of various plans for decades. Wellington Street should be a ceremonial mall from (about) Bank Street (the West end of Parliament Hill) to the National War Memorial (the East end). Access can be managed by powered bollards - I'm pretty sure they can be strong enough.

One of the problems is that neither the national nor the local government has ever had the will to make the "precincts of parliament" work as a concept, much less in practical terms. I think the redevelopment of Block 2 may provide the impetus, but I've been wrong before ...

Not sure about the Ottawa bunch but here in Winnipeg the ones who were constantly driving around the legislature and through downtown.
An aweful lot of them all seemed to be driving around in 4x4 pickups and a lot seemed to have a pair of chromed umm testicles.
They were ......an interesting bunch.

Not sure about the Ottawa bunch but here in Winnipeg the ones who were constantly driving around the legislature and through downtown.
An aweful lot of them all seemed to be driving around in 4x4 pickups and a lot seemed to have a pair of chromed umm testicles.
They were ......an interesting bunch.
There were definitely more pickups and cars than actual 18-wheelers.

I wonder how those folks' hearing is going right now? There's a video somewhere of someone with a decibel-meter and on Wellington it was 100dB sustained, or standing next to a lawnmower.

Looking forward to see what kind of nonsense counter TUPOC comes up with now, but looks like they are going to be evicted and owe the owner $58k.

Judge grants order allowing landlords to evict TUPC from St. Brigid's​

Social Sharing​

Controversial group also has to pay property owners $58K in costs​

Dan Taekema · CBC News · Posted: Sep 23, 2022 1:41 PM ET | Last Updated: 44 minutes ago

A stone church with bright red doors and red flags bearing symbols of white trees.

A Superior Court Justice has granted an application for the owners of St. Brigid's to remove The United People of Canada (TUPC) from the property. (Pierre-Paul Couture/CBC)
A Superior Court Justice has granted an application for the owners of St. Brigid's in Ottawa's Lowertown area to evict The United People of Canada (TUPC), a group with ties to the Freedom Convoy.
Justice Sally Gomery's decision, released Friday, also orders the controversial group to pay $58,000 in costs to the property owners within 30 days.

{full story at link}
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tupc-st-brigid-s-eviction-1.6593197

[notruescotsman]They were "west" in spirit.[/notruescotsman]

Angus Reid's results suggests that the Western 'spirit' can be defined mainly as 'anger' ...

1663963130814.png

This has been in and out of various plans for decades. Wellington Street should be a ceremonial mall from (about) Bank Street (the West end of Parliament Hill) to the National War Memorial (the East end). Access can be managed by powered bollards - I'm pretty sure they can be strong enough.

One of the problems is that neither the national nor the local government has ever had the will to make the "precincts of parliament" work as a concept, much less in practical terms. I think the redevelopment of Block 2 may provide the impetus, but I've been wrong before ...
More on this ... this time in the "who does what" realm and inter-agency communication.

istockphoto-849085368-170667a.jpeg

Provinces don't have the right to declare themselves sovereign. Has to be negotiated with the Federal gov't and then put to a national vote to change the constitution.

Provinces don't have the right to declare themselves sovereign. Has to be negotiated with the Federal gov't and then put to a national vote to change the constitution.
When did the rest of Canada get a vote in all those Quebec separatist referendums? I think we should have got to vote on whether or not we want to keep them.

When did the rest of Canada get a vote in all those Quebec separatist referendums? I think we should have got to vote on whether or not we want to keep them.
I think we might see Western Canada would be quick to put on the biggest boot they can find and wind up, given the chance.

Just because a province holds a vote on something, doesn't make it legally binding, especially if it's not on something within their provincial powers. Provincial gov'ts need to do their jobs that they are constitutionally responsible for and stop trying to get more powers from the Federal gov't.
BTW. Canada is a sovereign nation with federated divisions (provinces). These divisions aren't sovereign, they are part of a sovereign nation. Provinces need to focus on their own responsibilities and fuck off with all the sovereignty BS.
I am Canadian. Even though I was born and live in Alberta, I've lived in other provinces as well. Yes, there are regional differences, but there are also many things that bind us together and make us Canadian. We need to work together as a country instead of trying to amplify any regional differences for political gain.

Just because a province holds a vote on something, doesn't make it legally binding, especially if it's not on something within their provincial powers. Provincial gov'ts need to do their jobs that they are constitutionally responsible for and stop trying to get more powers from the Federal gov't.
BTW. Canada is a sovereign nation with federated divisions (provinces). These divisions aren't sovereign, they are part of a sovereign nation. Provinces need to focus on their own responsibilities and fuck off with all the sovereignty BS.
I am Canadian. Even though I was born and live in Alberta, I've lived in other provinces as well. Yes, there are regional differences, but there are also many things that bind us together and make us Canadian. We need to work together as a country instead of trying to amplify any regional differences for political gain.
You're preaching to the converted here, the ones that need conversion generally live east of the Mb/Ont border.

You're preaching to the converted here, the ones that need conversion generally live east of the Mb/Ont border.
OK, but I wouldn't be that general. I think you really mean Central Canada (ie - Ontario and Quebec). I've lived in the Atlantic region, and they aren't part of the problem. They're in kind of the same boat (no pun intended) as the west.
One of the problems with the Federal system is that the sub-divisions are very disproportional (in both size and population), but it isn't likely that smaller provinces will agree to amalgamate, or large ones to break up into medium sized ones. Even if there was agreement, these would require constitutional change (with a national vote), so unlikely to actually happen.

They're in kind of the same boat (no pun intended) as the west.
Yeah, some people don’t realize how much they put into Confederation for how little they get back…..

Back