• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

adds distance and time but the crossing at Niagara, Fort Erie and Sarnia are wide open for business. Why pray tell bunch up at Windsor. They could also load the trailers onto a train and cross that way. It is not an insurmountable barrier
Nobody in positions of power seem to be agile enough to come up with several COA's to deal with the issues of the blockades. Matt Gurney and Jen Gerson of The Line have been banging on this drum that our institutions can't seem to do anything competently and that the pandemic has exposed the Potemkin Village that seems to be our institutions these days.

Nobody in positions of power seem to be agile enough to come up with several COA's to deal with the issues of the blockades. Matt Gurney and Jen Gerson of The Line have been banging on this drum that our institutions can't seem to do anything competently and that the pandemic has exposed the Potemkin Village that seems to be our institutions these days.
I believe the term they use is “lack of state capacity” to deal with emergencies, including the unprecedented wildfires and floods in British Columbia. Our governments are good at shovelling money out the door, but if resources are needed to, you know, deal with the emergency, you’re on your own.

adds distance and time but the crossing at Niagara, Fort Erie and Sarnia are wide open for business. Why pray tell bunch up at Windsor. They could also load the trailers onto a train and cross that way. It is not an insurmountable barrier
I don't know if there is much roadrailer (semi-trailers on rail cars) equipment around. It's not really that popular anymore and your need facilities at both ends and drivers/tractors to take them away. Containerized loads are somewhat more flexible but you still need facilities that have capacity - I am only assuming there are intermodal yards nearby - plus the need for tractors/drivers.

Ok he is the leader of the country so big stress, in a tough time. Plus he is being challenged in a way not seen before in this country.
If only we had a PM like NZ's Jacinda Ardern. She had to deal with COVID, a terrorist attack, and an earthquake -- and a 1-year old -- without running off into hiding.

Hell, I'm even starting to have some respect for the elder Trudeau #WordsI'veNeverSaid

This was a bit eye opening. Food for thought. I may rethink my position on Sloly after reading that,
Yes, the 'protest within a protest' was a bit of an eye-opener. If the Chief agreed to the second encampment, then he wears it, but if the city/NCC agreed to it on their own, or dismissed his objections, it's on them. If it were me, I'd cordon the second one and starve them out, but I suppose that's why I never made it that high up the food chain.

The trend of late has been to emphasize 'soft' traits such as partnerships, sensitivity, inclusion, listening, etc. in police leadership. They don't get you far when the poo hits the fan. I can only assume they looked on the impending convoy like just about every other protest that has descended on the city over the years vowing to shut it down, only to not. They would be wrong. We like to think ourselves as the peaceable kingdom, lacking the a critical mass of the hard, ideological disruptive elements we see in other countries. We would be wrong. Just about every disruptive protest starts out as a peaceful assembly, either in fact or pretense, until it either devolves or is highjacked. For the police to be proactive yet still live within the Constitution is a problem faced by just about every democracy.

It does raise an interesting point, if a CF member is living off base and their non-CF spouse engages in a protest in such a way that the CF gets entangled because of social media, can the CF really do anything?

I cant see how the CAF can have any say about what my wife puts on our front yard or on her social media.

Reactions: QV
Another thing about the convoy, Paul Wells and Jesse Brown had a chat on Canadaland about the echo chambers they, us (CAF), the protesters, lefties, righties, etc are cocooned in and how it has tainted all levels of government and police response to the crisis.

I'm sure that the Federal Gov and their PS advisors were totally dismissive of the convoy when it left BC and headed east. As they sat around the cabinet table (no pesky backbenchers allowed) and gave it the 5 min they thought it needed they likely assumed that north of Lake Superior would see the convoy fizzle out. They have no idea the anger and frustration that is out there since there is not one person on Cabinet who would know a trades person, or farmer, or a worker at Tim Horton's.
Now that 2 members of the Liberal caucus have voiced their frustration maybe there will be some realization that not everything is well in Canada and this government needs to show some competence in governing.

I believe the term they use is “lack of state capacity” to deal with emergencies, including the unprecedented wildfires and floods in British Columbia. Our governments are good at shovelling money out the door, but if resources are needed to, you know, deal with the emergency, you’re on your own.
Contingency planning is not their strength

This was a bit eye opening.
This was also a bit eye opening,

Many others, profane or not, are demanding Trudeau come speak to them, or at least reveal where he’s hiding out. (That would be a bad idea. I don’t think he should do that.)

Those fires and floods in BC were all precedented actually.

I don't see how a person's private home is the concern of the CAF.

Being CANSOFCOM I doubt they travel to and from work in uniform, so 99% of people passing would likely never know the home owner was a CAF member.

Seems like a case of like busybodies improving morale...
Whoever outed the CANSOFCOM member and their residence, for any reason, likely committed a security breach.

Decades of activists (all kinds) writing and bragging openly about how to get up the noses of authorities; wishful denial that culture and information flows across borders; incessant pressure on wrong-thinkers to shut up and go away, and maybe to lose their jobs if they are prominent. Stir well and wait; see what boils over.

Whoever outed the CANSOFCOM member and their residence, for any reason, likely committed a security breach.
If that is what happened. I used to live near "that place" and had many as neighbours. It was not at all hard to tell who was who.

It does raise an interesting point, if a CF member is living off base and their non-CF spouse engages in a protest in such a way that the CF gets entangled because of social media, can the CF really do anything?
I cant see how the CAF can have any say about what my wife puts on our front yard or on her social media.

Not that this incident rises to the point (yet?) where administrative or disciplinary action would be necessary, but I can recall a few incidents during my time when the actions of a family member were visited on a member. What immediately comes to mind is the description of release item 5f.

who, either wholly or chiefly because of the conditions of military life or other factors beyond his control, develops personal weaknesses or has domestic or other personal problems that seriously impair his usefulness to or impose an excessive administrative burden on the Canadian Forces.

That may be the extreme, but I was aware of a couple of cases (decades ago) when the behaviour of a spouse (in one of the cases, it was a service couple) resulted in the member having his security clearance withdrawn. One of them dumped the spouse and worked hard to salvage his career; the other kept the spouse and was released. Of course, I do acknowledge that the machine has become more family friendly since I was a young soldier.

Not that this incident rises to the point (yet?) where administrative or disciplinary action would be necessary, but I can recall a few incidents during my time when the actions of a family member were visited on a member. What immediately comes to mind is the description of release item 5f.

That may be the extreme, but I was aware of a couple of cases (decades ago) when the behaviour of a spouse (in one of the cases, it was a service couple) resulted in the member having his security clearance withdrawn. One of them dumped the spouse and worked hard to salvage his career; the other kept the spouse and was released. Of course, I do acknowledge that the machine has become more family friendly since I was a young soldier.

Is a spouses political position a personal problem for the member ?

I mean so long as I continue to show up for work and do as ordered, I can't see how that works.

Nevertheless it would interesting so on trial.

@FJAG what say you ?

Back