• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Which nutjob promised that?
Standard freemen-on-the-land/sovereign citizen tactic. They like to give themselves powers through self-appointed “common law courts”, “peace officers/sheriffs” or some other made-up body, authority under the Magna Carta or brain fart that entered their pea-brain that day, to target whatever official happened to cross them.

i.e. the same people that think that if enough people called the Governor General, she would dissolve Parliament and appoint them as government.

One of the things these clowns seem to believe in is the odd concept that you can get people arrested for being unpopular.
They actually had a petition to have Prime Minister Trudeau arrested for treason.
C'mon, now - we KNOW that's not why people are REALLY protesting, right? That sort of "get the government to resign" thing was abandoned looooooooooooong ago ... ;)

The truly disturbing thing is quite frankly the average Canadian is almost completely ignorant of how Government works or even how the electoral system works.
Hate to beat a dead horse, but that's because education is a provincial responsibility and so there are no national standards for it. Plus the fact that many provincial governments will cut education (as well as health care) spending as the first thing to try and cut costs . Why do we need a well educated (and healthy) population? :p Many provincial governments don't seem to think we do.;)

C'mon, now - we KNOW that's not why people are REALLY protesting, right? That sort of "get the government to resign" thing was abandoned looooooooooooong ago ... ;)
I mean, one group was talking about arresting him yesterday at the Canada Day festivities...

I mean, one group was talking about arresting him yesterday at the Canada Day festivities...
They set up an information booth I belive and bylaw had them take it down.
I guess someone didn't read the AAR from the last few times this was tried ...

I guess someone didn't read the AAR from one of the last times this was tried ...
I see they read AARs as much as the CAF does.

I guess someone didn't read the AAR from the last few times this was tried ...

Let’s not be too quick to joke. I’ve seen references to today as “Corey Hurren Day”.

That was an extremely dangerous situation, and fortunately initially one, and then a pair of very switched on mounties were able to keep a gun on him but more importantly build a rapport and keep talking to him, with him eventually being talked down. Unfortunately there was a lot of rhetoric in the immediate wake of that to the effect of it’s too bad he didn’t succeed, etc. He definitely inspired some other dangerous people. Some of them might be more willing to shoot cops that are increasingly seen as the enemy- look at the shift in the terminology on right wing social media towards things like “Trudeau’s police”, and such. There is a real and active trend to portraying police protecting downtown Ottawa and the diplomatic/government areas as being the PM’s brownshirts, and all the other dangerous rhetoric that comes with that.

Let’s not be too quick to joke. I’ve seen references to today as “Corey Hurren Day”.

That was an extremely dangerous situation, and fortunately initially one, and then a pair of very switched on mounties were able to keep a gun on him but more importantly build a rapport and keep talking to him, with him eventually being talked down. Unfortunately there was a lot of rhetoric in the immediate wake of that to the effect of it’s too bad he didn’t succeed, etc. He definitely inspired some other dangerous people. Some of them might be more willing to shoot cops that are increasingly seen as the enemy- look at the shift in the terminology on right wing social media towards things like “Trudeau’s police”, and such. There is a real and active trend to portraying police protecting downtown Ottawa and the diplomatic/government areas as being the PM’s brownshirts, and all the other dangerous rhetoric that comes with that.
Didn't mean to minimize, just pointing out this isn't a new narrative or rationale.

I also see where the "traitor" and "treason" talk can lead to rhetorically, too.

But defund/de-militarize the police came from the guys on the other side of the pool. Y'know, the ones that ran a whole precinct of cops out of their own house and seized a good sized portion of Seattle? Those guys were calling you fascist pigs way before it became cool.

But defund/de-militarize the police came from the guys on the other side of the pool. Y'know, the ones that ran a whole precinct of cops out of their own house and seized a good sized portion of Seattle? Those guys were calling you fascist pigs way before it became cool.
Yup, well aware. People have hated cops for as long as there have been cops. With that said, I’ll stick to what happens and what’s observable in Canada.

From an ideologically motivated violent extremism standpoint, I know where I perceive the greater threat to come from. In terms of my own safety on the job, I’m only worried about words to the extent that they incite or embolden actions.

Back