• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freemasonry

I have decided to unlock this, for the sake of the Brothers on this site.

Maybe we can get a good thread going.

There will be no digs at all, and those on the level understand why.

And I will will Mod this thread.

All posters that have been hoodwinked, get on to this.

dileas

Until the tide flows...

tess

I have heard of impromptu Lodges being set up in discreet locations.

I know a friend who joined.  He loves it a lot.

I'm quite interested myself.  When my life slows down
I would love to enquire.  They showed up to frosh week
at U of T when I was there. 

I can only assume it's similar to my fraternity, but people in Masonry
actually care and try to do things properly and help others out
in a brotherhood society... as opposed to fraternities which involves getting drunk, ignoring
the principles your fraternity was founded on and throwing keg parties.

edit... late post.. forgot to add words... words are important!

I as well would be intrested in learning more.....

My historical studies have raised my intrest considerably but have never been able to ask about learning more directly from the source.

Gents,

This thread has been somewhat cleaned. The 48th regulator has reopened this thread for the purpose of discussing Freemasonry. If you wish to poke fun at something, or don't have a clue what your talking about, please do it somewhere else. If you have a legitimate question, about Freemasonry feel free to post it. It'll get answered, if it can. The 48th regulator would like to have some pertinent and viable discourse on the subject, please respect his wishes.

PM

I'm a Mason.  Just an Entered Apprentice for now, but going to do my fellowcraft in November.  I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.  I've never been made to feel more welcome anywhere else.

For anyone who has read "Freemasons for Dummies", I'm particularly interested in the Brethren at War section.  It includes amazing stories of fellowship during War that often extended beyond the lines of battle.

Wonder just how many here have a home lodge which started life as a military lodge? Mine came across with the Duke of Richmond's Regiment in the early 1800s

My father-in-law is a Mason and has prompted me to get involved, though I must admit I really don't know a whole lot about it and what's involved. I have been doing some looking online, though I take what I read on the web with a grain of salt. I'd be interested in learning more if anyone wants to reply to this or PM me.

If I'm going to get involved in something I like to go in armed with as much information as possible.

Devlin said:
My father-in-law is a Mason and has prompted me to get involved, though I must admit I really don't know a whole lot about it and what's involved. I have been doing some looking online, though I take what I read on the web with a grain of salt. I'd be interested in learning more if anyone wants to reply to this or PM me.

If I'm going to get involved in something I like to go in armed with as much information as possible.

I would contact the Lodge in your area.  They usually have people designated to help seekers with more information.

All Lodges should have a program called 'Friend to Friend' where they will meet and discuss Freemasonry with anyone interested. Contact your local Lodge.

What I don't get is the disparity between the way masons in Europe and N America represent themselves.  My father was a mason for years, and I never knew til he was on his deathbed, same as two uncles.  If you didn't know the secret handshake, you never knew who was or wasn't.  Over here, it's rings, bumper stickers, T-shirts, fridge magnets, and license plates.  What gives?  Not trying to be funny, I'm really curious.

"What is a Freemason"

A Freemason is a member of the world's largest fraternal organization. He not only enjoys the
friendship and brotherhood of other Freemasons in his community, but also is welcomed by
Freemasons anywhere in the world.

A Freemason is a man of faith, who uses tools of moral and ethical principles to serve
mankiond. He binds himself to like-minded men in a brotherhood that transends all religious,
ethnic, social, cultural and educational differences.

A Freemason shows the aspirations and obligations of men of good will who seek to make
themselves better than they are - not better than others.

A Freemason is dedicated - he recognizes his responsibility for justice, truth, charity, honesty
and integrity. Freemasons work building their lives and character, just as a carpenter works at building a house.

A Freemason believes that there is such a thing as honour, and that a man has a responsibility
to act with honour in everything he does. A Freemason teaches that principle. He believes
that a life not founded on honour is hollow and empty - that a man that acts without honour
is less than a man.

A Freemason believes that it is not more blessed to give that to receive, it's also more
rewarding. He becomes involved with problems and needs of others because he knows it
gives each of us a good feeling to help, a feeling unlike any other.

A Freemason believes that every person should strive to be a good citizen and that he has a
moral duty to be true to the country in which he lives, for loyalty to one's country is essential.

These are some of the qualities that a Freemason strives to achieve, I'll post some more
when I have time.

correct my last to read "It is more blessed to give than receive." I must have
been thinking of that case of beer I am waiting for ;D

Well, now this a timely thread to pop up.  I just bought a truck a couple of months ago and I've been delayed (read... lazy...) in putting a square and compass sticker on it.  I just did that about 5 minutes ago and then came in and logged on... only to find a masonic thread on army.ca!  ;D

Yeah!  A topic that I can speak on with some authority!  ;D

So, here's a nice clear, concise and short description of what Freemasonry is:
"Freemasonry is one of the oldest secular fraternal societies . . .[it] is a society of men concerned with moral and spiritual values. Its members are taught it's precepts by a series of ritual dramas, which follow ancient forms and use stonemasons' customs and tools as allegorical guides."  -from United Grand Lodge of England (1984)

I wish I could be available to chat about this, but the next two weeks are an ex in Gagetown, followed by a 2-week course (also in Gagetown), then back to Pet for a day or two and then off to Wainwright for 6 weeks...

But, I'll look the topic up again when I get a chance.  I'd love to find out who the other masons are among us.  (It would be particularly interesting to find out if there will be enough of us going over in February to have a meeting over there.)  Nothing formal, but it would still be a hoot to hold the inaugural meeting of Khandahar Lodge #1! 

Actually, to get back to the original poster... you might want to check out (if you haven't already) the movie "The Man Who Would Be King" (1975) starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/

This adaptation of the famous short story by Rudyard Kipling tells the story of Daniel Dravot and Peachy Carnahan, two ex-soldiers in India when it was under British rule. They decide that the country is too small for them, so they head off to Kafiristan in order to become Kings in their own right. Kipling is seen as a character that was there at the beginning, and at the end of this glorious tale. - from IMDB.

Mark

Nothing formal, but it would still be a hoot to hold the inaugural meeting of Khandahar Lodge #1! 

Now that would be something to see, admittedly I know next to nothing about freemasonry but even as an outsider that does seem like a neat idea.

Just a couple of points I did try to form a Lodge whilst I was deployed on Roto 1 this year. However like all things it proved to be a slip. There was very little support from my Grand Lodge, as much as they wanted to help they said it was outside of there mandate to form a Lodge outside of there jurisdiction. This I believe is the same for all Grand Lodges in Canada.
That being said I did get some help and good information from a Bro serving in Iraq, (which I still have if any one would like it).

It would be a good idea to start with a Masonic Club vise a Lodge and then build from there, also it takes longer than a tour to get things going so some forethought and planning would help.

As a side please visit the following like to an outstanding Masonic site and a good Bro who does a hell of a lot for all Bros serving overseas

http://gbp.net/rtj/

Have to go I have lodge in 2 hours, and my granny is is only 35

Fraternally
Dragoon 19
POTS

Thanks for posting that Link, Dragoon.  What a great site!

About the bumper stickers, rings, lapel pins, etc.  As was explained to me, Freemasonry isn't a secret society, it's a society of secrets (based in and requiring Faith). 

I can think of one Rite who is extremely open about being Masons.  And to me, this clearly illustrates the philanthropic nature of the Masons. 

I went to the above link.  I found this badge to be very profound; it explains my understanding of the Masons.

Am I a Mason?  No (obviously).  Would I like to become a Mason?  Yer durn tootin.  The ones with whom I've spoken have all been intelligent, honest, open, friendly individuals -- quite contrary to the mystique the "Stonecutters" seem to have.  Most seem equally interested in learning and in teaching -- which, to me, places them over other fraternal societies.  If anything, it was like hanging around a bunch of several self-propelled brain teasers.  My only concerns about joining are the time and study requirements.  As a full time university student, would there be overwhelming burdens placed on my noodle?

My questions regard "Men of Faith"
-What faith?
-Is it faith as in Christianity...Jesus Christ, God(Jehovah), Holy Spirit?
If not...is it just faith in a higher power...non-descript...no-name?
- Are Muslims welcome? Buddhists?

Back