• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French Language Training

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I figured this would have been answered before, I did a search and did not see it from what I can tell. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I was wondering if those people who have gone through the 7 month Officer french training, how they found their French after the training? 7 months is not a long time to get a handle on any language. Did you learn enough that you were comfortable talking to people, and could function? What was your french language knowledge prior to the CF language training?

I have almost no French. Well, I had classes in grades 4-6, but I can't say I remember much besides simple phrases.

I took German all through the rest of my school career, and I also know Dutch. So I have experience learning other languages and I hope I can pick it up fairly fast. But knowing essentially no French, would it be wise -- or rather, would it be essential for me to get myself into a french language course while i am waiting for my application? Or will it be safe to just wait for the CF language training?

I gotta help you out man... I want to know more about it too. Can anyone help? Thanks

Here is my personal experience:

I went in for a placement oral evaluation. This was an interview to determine any previous experience I might have. They use this to place you at the right level of instruction at the beginning of the course. I had little or no previous knowledge so started at the bottom. I believe it is built around 15 modules of increasing difficulty. The aim is to have you reach "B"s which would mean you are functional, in writing, reading and oral.

I did the IMLAC test once I started the course. It is a test based on Kurdish to see how suitable you are to learn a second language. I was OK but not great.

The classes start, from 8:00- 15:00 hrs daily. Seems like a swan but my head hurt at the end of most days. I also took the course in Edmonton.

The teachers worked hard and the atmosphere was very friendly. However at the end of it I ended up with only a BBA I was weakest on oral.

The oral exams are conducted by telephone interview and they want you to be able to conducted a detailed conversation about you work. You have two attempts to obtain a "B" level.

It is like going to school every day. It is hard work and not everyone will be successful. I hope this helps you out.  :salute:

I'll add my experiences.   I completed the course in St-Jean with a BBA in Aug '04.   I went in with practically zero French--I took a 1 semester course 20 years ago, it did not come back to me.

They try to keep the class sizes small--8 or 9 people is a large class.   Our days generally were from 0800 until 1530.   Some teachers are very good, but many are also lacking in their instructional ability.   Some teachers assign a large amount of homework, others assign practically none.   If you are serious about learning the language, you will do plenty of homework, whether you are assigned some or not.   You will likely swap teachers half way through the course.   In some cases, students may also change classes.

As far as learning enough to become functional, well that will really depend upon you.   It is possible, though.   One of my friends went in with zero french background and pulled off a CCB.   I'd say that most people are easily capable of finishing up with at least a BBA. A few people got one or more X's (you don't want an X--you can logically infer what X means because of that).   It really depends on how much effort you put into it yourself.   Most people probably put the minimum in.  There are plenty of reasons for that, which I won't get into.  

You should be able to carry on conversations, as long as the francophone you are talking to speaks relatively slowly and doesn't use a lot of slang.   You will find that many things you learn in the class don't actually apply in the real world.   But honestly, that is to be expected as in class you learn the "proper" way.   So when you are out at some shop and you ask for something a certain way don't get too worked up about it when the franco doesn't immediately understand what you are saying.   Oh, and once you are done the course, your new language abilities may depart your gray matter rather quickly, but it only takes a bit of practice to get back into the swing of things.

It's a long haul, but hang in there.   Besides, where else are you going to draw a full salary while learning a language full-time?   My last piece of advice for SLT: While you are on the course it is your full-time job and you are expected to work hard.   Take that to heart.

Do you do any field work or anything like that while you are there? And do you go through the inspections that I'm hearing about for BOTC? Just curious about weekends too. Thanks :salute:

Field training?? Room inspections?? Are you kidding??  ;)

Seriously, SLT, unless it has changed dramatically since I left there in May '04, is like going to university in a uniform. As was previously stated, you have class from 0800 to 1500 daily, and after that your time is yours to do with whatever you wish. Everyone had booze in their rooms, some smoked in theirs, etc. So, you pretty much have 2 choices:

1) Spend a lot of time in the gym/running/etc, getting in wicked shape. Do a bit of French work in the evenings (and I mean very little - the bulk of what you learn will be in class, that's just the way it is). Have fun on the weekends in Montreal.

2) Don't go to the gym at all, eat all you can in the mess, drink all the time, gain 30 lbs and be a bag of shit for CAP (should you be Army and therefore on your way to Gagetown).

The choice is yours. I don't mean to imply that you are a candidate for choice #2, but it's just a heads up. The rules are slack at SLT. We were only 'required' to do PT twice weekly, and that was simply a sign-in sheet....some people signed and went back upstairs to bed. Also one weak ruck march every Wednesday. I watched too many people turn into fat f**ks in St Jean, only to get their asses kicked in Gagetown. CAP is not hard, but if you're not in shape you will hurt.

For what it's worth....

Glad I found this thread again. I'm headed to IAP/BOTC now as of Aug 27, 2007 as I took another year before taking the plunge. In any case, I was wondering what the facilities are like at St. Jean. I was talking to one guy about getting into the Army National Wrestling Team and was wondering if St. Jean had facilities for that, or maybe Judo as its similar. I am looking at a possible round of RFT at St. Jean so I want to make SLT truly count so that I can do my best work in the rest of the phases.

MatthewHopkins said:
I am looking at a possible round of RFT at St. Jean so I want to make SLT truly count so that I can do my best work in the rest of the phases.

If someone could please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that SLT is conducted after you complete IAP/BOTC.  Therefore, I strongly suggest that you first concentrate on finishing that, before making too many plans on the rest of your future.  As for facilities in St. Jean, this link should help you out.

Airmich, people who are successful in life make long-term plans. They plan for the future and find out all the information. With that said, don't presume to tell me what to do with my career when you were not asked and especially when you don't know about, nor have experience in, the training process I am going through.

MatthewHopkins said:
Airmich, people who are successful in life make long-term plans. They plan for the future and find out all the information. With that said, don't presume to tell me what to do with my career when you were not asked and especially when you don't know about, nor have experience in, the training process I am going through.

Mr Hopkins,

I hope you realize that by posting here and asking questions here, you are asking 14,876 people for their opinion. Therefore, Airmich was asked for her opinion.

Lighten up Mr Hopkins.

Drummy (who never made it past the dizzy heights of Sgt.)

Edited to say that I screwed up the highlighting  Drummy

Airmich has not been through IAP/BOTC, is not in the Army, is not on the wrestling team, and chose to weigh in on a few different threads where I have posted despite the fact that she has no experience whatsoever. Just because you can weigh in on a thread doesn't mean you should. A simple rule in life... if you don't know what you're talking about... don't. Watch and learn from people who do, which is why I'm here trying to get some more answers.

How about hearing from someone who has actually gone through the training I am about to go through?

Airmich, those who have just gone through the training process (SLT) would know as would anyone who has recently completed BOTC/IAP and SLT. We're not talking about something that is far out there in obscurity.

MatthewHopkins said:
Airmich has not been through IAP/BOTC, is not in the Army, is not on the wrestling team, and chose to weigh in on a few different threads where I have posted despite the fact that she has no experience whatsoever. Just because you can weigh in on a thread doesn't mean you should. A simple rule in life... if you don't know what you're talking about... don't. Watch and learn from people who do, which is why I'm here trying to get some more answers.

How about hearing from someone who has actually gone through the training I am about to go through?

Airmich was speaking to the SLT course and when one would go on it. Contrary to what seems to be your opinion, it is not just Officers who undergo SLT, nor is an IAP/BOTP a pre-req for attendance on it for the "other ranks," but completion of BMQ first certainly is.

I warn you not to go about these forums judging people based on what current rank/environment is in their profiles either. You will quickly learn, once you have successfully completed your IAP/BOTC, that the CF has a thing called remusters.

It quite often results in the reduction of ones rank level and the reassignment of their uniform/environment. A search of the forum topics on this subject will show you that. There's even a whole thread on Mich's processing through this in this very forum.

Tread lightly.

airmich said:
Therefore, I strongly suggest that you first concentrate on finishing that, before making too many plans on the rest of your future. 

MatthewHopkins said:

Hopkins, I believe Airmich was referring to your PT level. I personally wouldn't worry too much about SLT if RFT were a real possibility. Control the things you can and let the Army worry about all the rest. I’m about to head off for a quick ruck, are you?

For anyone else, is the SLT course slated directly after BOTC? I have heard that the DEO entry plan may do it later in order to meet career progression requirements, any truth to this? If so, it would be music to my ears.

At this point, the SLT is still scheduled after IAP/BOTC though the rumour is that this will change in the near future. A few guys I know are going through BOTC right now and are being told they will do the SLT in January.

ArmyVern, I am well aware that SLT can be taken by anyone in the Forces. My father took it in his 18th year of service. Unless there has been a complete change in policy, Reservists do not get to take the SLT course. I understand there is always that professional friction between NCMs and Officers but it seems to be to the max around here. Perhaps it is because the internet allows people to say things in a manner that would not be acceptable in real-time?

MatthewHopkins said:
At this point, the SLT is still scheduled after IAP/BOTC though the rumour is that this will change in the near future. A few guys I know are going through BOTC right now and are being told they will do the SLT in January.

ArmyVern, I am well aware that SLT can be taken by anyone in the Forces. My father took it in his 18th year of service. Unless there has been a complete change in policy, Reservists do not get to take the SLT course. I understand there is always that professional friction between NCMs and Officers but it seems to be to the max around here. Perhaps it is because the internet allows people to say things in a manner that would not be acceptable in real-time?

And there we have it.  This is a privately owned site where rank is respected but does not factor into the weight one should, or should not, have with their posts. Apparently you forget that respect for someones rank and/or skills also works down the Chain of Command. I'm sure you will learn that on your IAP/BOTC as well. A review of all your posts shows that this is not the first time you've managed to slam someone because they were not an "officer" like you, nor to make personal attacks against them.

As this is a private forum, and as it is against site guidelines (the ones you received and agreed to upon joining) to needlessly bandy about your rank and to play the old Reserve vs Regular card, and personal attacks; all of which you have managed to do throughout your posts here on this site.

Professionalism does matter on this site however, you'd be wise to realize that one day, your future subordinates may be reading what's been written right here on this internet forum by you personally. Something tells me they wouldn't be getting a very good impression of their leader.

Welcome to the Army.ca warning system.

Armyvern

It has absolutely nothing to do with my rank, considering I am the lowest possible rank in the Forces right now. I mean on a human, interpersonal level... the internet allows people to say things they would not say in real life. I would expect the same level of respect at Wal-Mart, at school, at the bank, etc. When I am asking about my future training, it would help to know what kind of training I'm going through. If it is somehow upsetting to people that I have IAP/BOTC and then SLT... by all means, delete my account and I'll go and get my answers elsewhere.

Ultimately... I'm a person too. If you can't separate the title I don't even have yet from me as a person, feel free, once again, to delete my account altogether. I put this sort of stuff behind me many moons ago.

MatthewHopkins said:
It has absolutely nothing to do with my rank, considering I am the lowest possible rank in the Forces right now. I mean on a human, interpersonal level... the internet allows people to say things they would not say in real life. I would expect the same level of respect at Wal-Mart, at school, at the bank, etc. When I am asking about my future training, it would help to know what kind of training I'm going through. If it is somehow upsetting to people that I have IAP/BOTC and then SLT... by all means, delete my account and I'll go and get my answers elsewhere.

Ultimately... I'm a person too. If you can't separate the title I don't even have yet from me as a person, feel free, once again, to delete my account altogether. I put this sort of stuff behind me many moons ago.

We can seperate the title. It is you who keeps insisting upon the fact that you are (almost) an officer and who is using it as a base to dismiss any opinions/info provided to you by an "enlisted" member of this site.

ArmyVern said:
We can seperate the title. It is you who keeps insisting upon the fact that you are (almost) an officer and who is using it as a base to dismiss any opinions/info provided to you by an "enlisted" member of this site.

If someone has not been through the training I am about to go through, I am not going to take their word for it. I want to hear from people who have actually gone through what I'm about to go through. There have been countless changes to the program in the past few years, which is common knowledge. I "dismiss" people who talk about the training process from 25 years ago as well because so much has changed. My Father, for example, can only give me so much information because he retired 10 years ago. Tons has changed so why would I accept out-dated and possibly wrong information? Even my Recruiters had to do research on questions I have asked and they handle this stuff every single day. Mich had been in the Reserves and then the Regs for one year in the Navy and went the NCM route. I'm going to look for information from people who have direct and recent experience in my field and in my training process because that is where the best information is. In the same way, nobody should take me seriously on matters I don't know about and that is why I don't post answers to questions outside my realm of experience.

Back