• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French Navy's Super Étendard jets make last carrier launches before retirement

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
The torch passed to the French Navy's Rafale Ms?

Foxtrot Alpha

Super Étendard Attack Jets Make Their Last Carrier Catapult Launches Ever
Tyler Rogoway
Today 9:44am
Filed to: Super Étendard

Super Étendard Attack Jets Make Their Last Carrier Catapult Launches Ever

France’s only aircraft carrier, the nuclear powered Charles De Gaulle, returned to its home port in Toulon, France yesterday. Before its arrival, the Dassault Super Étendard, an aircraft that has spent nearly 40 years fighting France’s wars abroad, took its final catapult launch off an aircraft carrier.

(...SNIPPED)

I love the videos on YouTube with these guys flying on the deck, balls to the wall. 

jollyjacktar said:
I love the videos on YouTube with these guys flying on the deck, balls to the wall.

I would imagine French fighter pilots make up a quarter of GoPro's annual sales. Conservatively.

I love the little touch: The catapult officer signalling the shoot with a sword instead of the little flags.

Bien joué, les gars. Vous les avez eus!

Bonne retraite, SEM.

Just curious about the splash in the water when the aircraft is launched from the carrier.

Retired AF Guy said:
Just curious about the splash in the water when the aircraft is launched from the carrier.

[:D

My experience from Bosnia: a 500 lb bomb.  >:D

Retired AF Guy said:

I believe it is the steam catapult fitting that the nose wheel is hooked onto.

Retired AF Guy said:

It's a sling. You see the handlers install it when the SEM gets readied for launch.

The SEM did not have a hook on the front wheel that is inserted into the catapult's "rabbit". Instead, there are two hooks under the wings near the body on both sides. A sling is attached to one hook, looped around the "rabbit" and back to the other side's hook. The SEM is then catapulted as if it was in a slingshot, and the sling just drops in the water. They are expandables.

We had the same system on the Bonnie for the Banshees and the Trackers. 

Here is a video, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-Iv9Js-1I

Back