• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates

In basic terms no one really cares what stage you get to on ExPres. No one cares how much you can lift, either. Being able to hump long distances and get through the field stage is what actually matters, though, the fitter you are the easier it is to stay focused and alert during the classroom stages as well, so it'll be overall easier to pick up the material. Just continuously work at it, and you'll be fine. It's mental tenacity coupled with fitness that matters.

Redeye said:
It's mental tenacity coupled with fitness that matters.

Exactly right.  Bottom line is that you just have to be able to meet every challenge....every time.  That comes from your head and heart as much as it does from your cardio....

Redeye said:
In basic terms no one really cares what stage you get to on ExPres. No one cares how much you can lift, either. Being able to hump long distances and get through the field stage is what actually matters, though, the fitter you are the easier it is to stay focused and alert during the classroom stages as well, so it'll be overall easier to pick up the material. Just continuously work at it, and you'll be fine. It's mental tenacity coupled with fitness that matters.

PPCLI Guy said:
Exactly right.  Bottom line is that you just have to be able to meet every challenge....every time.  That comes from your head and heart as much as it does from your cardio....

I suppose the only way to really find out is to dive in head first. Much obliged for your feedback regardless :salute:

ken.w2402 said:
I suppose the only way to really find out is to dive in head first. Much obliged for your feedback regardless :salute:

Yep. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Redeye said:
Yep. Do, or do not. There is no try.

TPM-CGYoda.JPG

This is very helpful and I'm learning lots I plan on getting ready now 2 years away from RMC even but whats life look like for infantry officers. I was hoping to get into close protection and was told I can only do this through Infantry.

Willing To Learn said:
I was hoping to get into close protection and was told I can only do this through Infantry.

Whoever told you this was wrong, also I would not plan your career on a very small specialty.  I would plan it on if you would enjoy the general duties as it is very hard to get in the specialty positions and the last thing you want is to be doing a job you hate because you did not get selected for the specialty position.

Like dangerboy said,  Close Protection is open to all trades; it isn't a Infantry only specialty.

As well,  looking at the info regarding CP there are no openings for Officers,  only NCMs.
1. THE CP QUALIFICATION IS OPEN TO ALL CF MEMBERS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING PRE-REQUISITES FOR CP TRG AND EMPLOYMENT: 
      A. REG OR RES F MBR OF THE RANK OF CPL TO SGT 
      B. MOS ID QUALIFIED

Here's an idea: why not come up with a Call of Duty that teaches you how to spend days and nights typing up CF98's and PDRs... probably more accurate than learning about "knifing, going prone and spraying" haha

As a surviving candidate of the latest IODP 1.1, here are some scoops, tips and stats:

1) No more TEWT's: starting this year, TEWT's are no longer hard-assessed and are simply employed as teaching tools in helping us understand the estimate process.  Instead, assessments have become purely practical; in addition to leading a hasty attack as per the old course format, EVERY candidate is now expected to successfully lead a fighting patrol (raid, ambush, deliberate attack or woods clearing, randomly assigned by the evaluating staff) and a defensive task (occupation, routine, relief in place or withdrawal).

2) Tips: cut down on gym time and start rucking; about a quarter of candidates got kicked out in the first couple weeks simply due to the fact they couldn't keep up during morning ruck marches.  Many of them were seemingly well-prepared and fit to appear on fitness magazine covers, but ended up being practically useless when loaded down with radios and platoon weapons.  Focus on cardio and muscle endurance, especially in the legs and the back.  Also, try fattening up while you can, you WILL lose it all throughout the course.

3) Stats: the course started with approximately 120 candidates on 26 May 2014, less than 50 are currently remaining on week 11 out of 12.  Most (myself included) have already passed all their assessments (hasty, patrol and defensive), with the remaining few expected to pass theirs assessments during the Culmination Exercice in the last week of the course.

Good luck!

kw2402 said:
As a surviving candidate of the latest IODP 1.1, here are some scoops, tips and stats:

1) No more TEWT's: starting this year, TEWT's are no longer hard-assessed and are simply employed as teaching tools in helping us understand the estimate process.  Instead, assessments have become purely practical; in addition to leading a hasty attack as per the old course format, EVERY candidate is now expected to successfully lead a fighting patrol (raid, ambush, deliberate attack or woods clearing, randomly assigned by the evaluating staff) and a defensive task (occupation, routine, relief in place or withdrawal).

2) Tips: cut down on gym time and start rucking; about a quarter of candidates got kicked out in the first couple weeks simply due to the fact they couldn't keep up during morning ruck marches.  Many of them were seemingly well-prepared and fit to appear on fitness magazine covers, but ended up being practically useless when loaded down with radios and platoon weapons.  Focus on cardio and muscle endurance, especially in the legs and the back.  Also, try fattening up while you can, you WILL lose it all throughout the course.

3) Stats: the course started with approximately 120 candidates on 26 May 2014, less than 50 are currently remaining on week 11 out of 12.  Most (myself included) have already passed all their assessments (hasty, patrol and defensive), with the remaining few expected to pass theirs assessments during the Culmination Exercice in the last week of the course.

Good luck!

Congratulations on making it through.  And these are great points, especially about the *type* of fitness required to endure.  :salute:

Good to see they found a way to get rid of TEWTs as assessment tools, and even better to see they have managed to get back to having every candidate actually lead missions as their hard assessments.

LCol Oberwarth will leave the Inf School in a good position for the next CO.

ballz said:
LCol Oberwarth will leave the Inf School in a good position for the next CO.

Is this the same Oberwarth who was a Captain in the Truth Duty Valor Series on Pathfinders, and a Major when on the show Combat School?

KerryBlue said:
Is this the same Oberwarth who was a Captain in the Truth Duty Valor Series on Pathfinders, and a Major when on the show Combat School?

Yes he is.

I'm studying engineering currently. After graduation I'd like to give this a shot. Is there any preferred degree that the caf expect infantry officer candidates to have?

kw2402 said:

Thank goodness we've abandoned that silly idea and went back to practical assessments.

I know this question can seem stupid, but what do you mean by excellent physical shape? I can run long distances, I can do a lot of push up, I go swimming every week, I go to gym every week, but is it enought? How can I know if my physical shape is good enought for being an infantry officer? Thank you sir!

I was the same as you. I wanted numbers to quantify what "excellent fitness" meant.

For running, at the end of DP1.2 we did the CO's Challenge or whatever... Basically the goals were...

5km run in <23 min
>45 pushups in 2 minutes
>100 situps in 4 minutes

Almost all achieved all three, some smashed right past all three. The 5km run varied from about 19 min - 23 min with a few outliers going up to 25 and 26 minutes. We had been bag-driven for almost 8 months straight (13 weeks for DP1.1, 3 weeks for summer leave, 13 weeks for DP1.2) so we weren't in as good of physical condition as when we showed up for DP1.1.

For ruck marching, prior to DP1.1 me and a friend who were going on the course rucked once or twice a week (anymore with heavy weight is probably a great way to injure yourself permanently) and worked ourselves up to 80 lbs for 14km, and 100 lbs for 8km. This was above what most did prior to course ruck march wise, but I believe it served us well to slowly build ourselves up to that kind of weight / distance. There will be no 35 lb rucks on DP1.1.

Hey guys,

I'm planning to join the military, one of the positions I know I have a strong potential for is the position of Infantry Officer.

This is a completely serious question. Please be honest with me. I am Asian. How does the majority of Canadian soldiers feel about Asians in the military, or as their superior? I've worked in a lot of companies as a team leader or lead hand and, generally, at first, people are reluctant to work with or respect me because I am young, and I am Asian. If this sort of thinking happens when I am posted on a mission and those under my command are hesitant to obey my orders, I rather not risk it and start thinking about an entirely different position altogether.

I have no doubt I can prove myself worthy of the position as I am in top shape. I run 4 miles everyday with ease, can do 100 pushups of whatever type easily combined with HIIT training and stamina training. I work 7 days a week, sometimes double shifts. I have never met anyone who has more physical endurance than myself in the workplace and outside of it. I have been the hardest and efficient worker in every company I have worked with (11 companies), acknowledged by my superiors. My ability to train and lead others has always been praiseworthy as I am easy to understand and straightforward. However, I will not risk being an officer if people are hesitant to obey me because of my age and race. I may just apply for infantry soldier.

Thanks,
Nevermore093

Back