• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

from german army band to canadian forces band

Skell

Inactive
Reaction score
i have a cousin who married a German in the german army band. They are moving back to canada when his contract is finished. he wants to join the canadian forces band when he moves here.

is this a possibility? a hard process?
i know he needs canadian citizenship but will they take away his german citizenship or will he be allowed to have german-canadian dual citizenship?

thanks for the help

Skell said:
. . . . . . he wants to join the canadian forces band when he moves here.

The citizenship issue aside, joining as a musician is very competitive.  Not many professional musicians in Canada receive the financial benefits that CF musicians do, so the relatively few positions available are very attractive. Potential bandsmen have to audition. http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/musi/ar/index-eng.asp

Skell said:
will he be allowed to have german-canadian dual citizenship?

It's actually up to the countries involved.  Canada will allow it in that he will not be required to renounce his German citizenship in order to gain Canadian citizenship; however, whether the Germans recognize his Canadian citizenship or allow him to keep his German citizenship if he becomes a Canadian is up to them.  He'll have to ask that question of the German authorities.

Keep in mind that dual-citizenship can be a double-edged sword.  If he should return to Germany (even just for a visit) and get into trouble, he could be denied Canadian consular services by German authorities.

Actually, Germany does have a problem with this. It appears it is now possible to retain German citizenship when becoming a Canadian citizen, but it is not automatic and requires paperwork before the Canadian citizenship is accepted.

http://www.canada.diplo.de/Vertretung/kanada/en/02/citizenship/dual__citizenship.html

I have no idea how complicated the process is or how likely it is for dual citizenship to be granted, back when my family immigrated to Canada it wasn't even an option, except for children born in Canada of German parents.

chevalnoir said:
Actually, Germany does have a problem with this. It appears it is now possible to retain German citizenship when becoming a Canadian citizen, but it is not automatic and requires paperwork before the Canadian citizenship is accepted.

http://www.canada.diplo.de/Vertretung/kanada/en/02/citizenship/dual__citizenship.html

I have no idea how complicated the process is or how likely it is for dual citizenship to be granted, back when my family immigrated to Canada it wasn't even an option, except for children born in Canada of German parents.

Thanks for the update. There obviously been changes in recent-ish years.

While it may be possible for some Germans to maintain dual citizenship, it may not necessarily be permitted should they enter foreign (non-German) military service.

http://www.canada.diplo.de/Vertretung/kanada/en/02/citizenship/military__service.html
Please be advised that German citizens who voluntarily enter the armed forces of a country other than Germany will on principle automatically lose their German citizenship.

Skell said:
i have a cousin who married a German in the german army band. They are moving back to canada when his contract is finished. he wants to join the canadian forces band when he moves here.

i know he needs canadian citizenship but will they take away his german citizenship or will he be allowed to have german-canadian dual citizenship?

thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure I was at that wedding, haha.

Another option to consider is one of the plethora of Reserve bands; they're a lot more inclusive than the regular force musician trade, and many of them of them do a lot of musical work, and keep busy. If they're looking to stay on the east coast (assuming your cousin is from out here) there's a Naval Reserve band that draws from units from Quebec and eastward. You'd have to talk to a recruiter or someone involved in those units to get more detail though.

Back