• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FRS/MS-2000M Strobe?

dh101

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I happened across people selling these FRS/MS-2000M Strobe lights on ebay and was wondering if they are a controlled item? They seem to sell for between 30 - 50$ and they do look real, not like a fake toy. I know you can buy night vision and IR lasers on the Civilian market in Canada, but I'm pretty sure these are military.
On a side note, it wouldn't really be that hard to make a homemade IR strobe, just take the IR filter off of a TV remote, and attach it to a flashlight with a strobe mode on it.
Anyone know for sure whether or not this is a controlled item? Just curious.

I've seen a number of American online retailers and ebay sellers list the MS2000 strobes as a ITAR controlled item, while others do not - Not sure if ITAR is what you meant or not.  If you meant controlled as in, civilians can not have it or sell it, than no it is not controlled in that sense.

You could try making your own IR strobe with a flashlight, but will it be as bright/visible for the same range as a MS2000?
FAA-approved strobe visible at a distance of 6 miles (9.6 km)
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/rescue-and-distress-lights/ms-2000(m)/

dh101 said:
Well I happened across people selling these FRS/MS-2000M Strobe lights on ebay and was wondering if they are a controlled item? They seem to sell for between 30 - 50$ and they do look real, not like a fake toy. I know you can buy night vision and IR lasers on the Civilian market in Canada, but I'm pretty sure these are military.
On a side note, it wouldn't really be that hard to make a homemade IR strobe, just take the IR filter off of a TV remote, and attach it to a flashlight with a strobe mode on it.
Anyone know for sure whether or not this is a controlled item? Just curious.

If you punch in the NATO stock number 6230-01-448-8340 LIGHT,MARKER,DISTRESS into the Canadian Government Cataloguing System (CGCS) and hover over the blue A by the DMC it tells you that it is not a controlled item.

MJP said:
If you punch in the NATO stock number 6230-01-448-8340 LIGHT,MARKER,DISTRESS into the Canadian Government Cataloguing System (CGCS) and hover over the blue A by the DMC it tells you that it is not a controlled item.

Alright, thanks for the info. Don't have access to the DWAN atm.

dh101 said:
Alright, thanks for the info. Don't have access to the DWAN atm.

No worries, I was merely pointing out how to do it while giving the answer so folks so how to in the future.

To throw a rave where only the people who are invited can enjoy it.

Towards_the_gap said:
Just curious, why would you buy one?

I have one on my PFD in my canoe kit.  On land, I transfer it to the shoulder strap of whichever canoe pack I am carrying.  With the IR lens off, that sucker can be see for miles in the deep woods from the air.  That why I bought one.  Best $50 safety investment I ever made. 

Towards_the_gap said:
Just curious, why would you buy one?

So you can be a super cool high speed low drag operator?

Reference VV

vufl.jpg

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL4soX9ml2E

Back