• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FTX stories

Seeing as how in the air element of things, one strives to be "an officer and a gentlman" as it were, swearing would not be in ones common vocabulary :p.

WO2_mandal said:
Seeing as how in the air element of things, one strives to be "an officer and a gentlman" as it were, swearing would not be in ones common vocabulary :p.

Oh boy Mandal, that's pretty sad. But your right, I don't think they swear once in that movie if I remember correctly  ;D

Well, just got back from an ftx.........we had one cadet who was running around the 5 man tents we had set up when playing capture the flag. Trips over one of the ropes holding it up, trips over a second, trips over a third, sprawls on top of a fourth and lands on top of the flag. That was an interesting way to end the game.....and one of our gentleman officers scared the heck out of the cadets. Didn't even have to raise his voice a little bit. And boy did he have a good reason, when cadets are trying to hit a FSgt(me) in the eye with a thrown pen, seems pretty justifiable. That was an interesting night last night.....as I was the only NCO out of ~40 cadets in the barracks. Most of them level 1s. Not fun.

WO2_mandal said:
Back in the days of LAC Mandal...or was it Cpl Mandal..o well...it was a while ago....I was playing with dead tree. The tree was pretty big and really heavy. It fell (tawrds me). I pushed it away while it was falling. That was the first time i heard any staff swear. "JESUS CHRIST!! YOU ALMOST LOST YOUR ******* LIFE!!".....that was more scary than the log almost falling on me lol....

LOL, this just made me remember a scary moment for one of my cadets.

He was pushing a dead tree, but it didn't fall over... the tip just broke and came down and landed right beside him sticking into the gound. I just turned and walked away pretending not to have seen anything.

jeeze even I know not to pour gas on a fire straight from the can!!  When I was on a family camping trip i used to just fill up plastic cups with white gas when the fire got small and throw it on.  But I remember once on an exercise in Vernon one of our small party taskings in the field was to clean an area that was quarantined.  They gave us those water backpacks with the water nozzle.  Me and my buddies were carrying these and pretending they were rifles yelling out "THIS REMINDS ME OF VIETNAM!!" and screwing around.  There was this abandoned car in the middle of this field so my friends and I started "shooting" the car and yelling "VC VC!! fire at will!!!"  It was one of those things you do when your bored in the field lol. :warstory:

Your spelling lacks discipline.

ouyin2000 said:
And this instills self discipline, how?
  Clearly, by not correcting the cadet, he will show his friends and they will learn not to do it when he gets crushed.

At the loss of a cadet's life or limb(s), which a responsible senior NCO should not allow :)

ouyin2000 said:
And this instills self discipline, how?

Self-discipline comes from within, so by learning from his mistake he will control his own actions and conduct himself in a way to not do it again. In this situation it was clear to me that this cadet saw that it was wrong and would not do it again. Yes you are right in other/most situations you do have to "instill" it.

Nicolas said:
Self-discipline comes from within, so by learning from his mistake he will control his own actions and conduct himself in a way to not do it again. In this situation it was clear to me that this cadet saw that it was wrong and would not do it again. Yes you are right in other/most situations you do have to "instill" it.
  Sorry, but I'm of the belief that most 12 year olds will think "COOL! Lets do that again!" not "Oh no, I almost died!"

Kyle Burrows said:
  Sorry, but I'm of the belief that most 12 year olds will think "COOL! Lets do that again!" not "Oh no, I almost died!"
Not just 12 year olds, I know a lot of cadets in general that are senior NCOs in their corps, who would say the same thing.

Hell, even my officers do that sometimes :p

Kyle Burrows said:
heck, even my officers do that sometimes :p

heh heh i even do that sometimes. not during cadet time but on my own time. some people have said they are surprised i am still alive. ;D

Yeah, you could be right, however, I hope your not for the cadet's sake. :p

ouyin2000 said:
That's what we do sometimes.

We hide their meals and other cooking equipment out somewhere, and they need to find it all by using their map and compass skills.

This wasnt an ex. like that,

it was a you have to survive off the land type of ex. (good idea in theory) but didnt work out to well as our knowledge in the subject was limited to Pineneedle tea, Boiled birch bark and dandelion greens. and most of the plants in the books were out of season (ie: Saskatoon Berries and Rosehips...or we couldnt find them) and if you dug up an earthworm, you didnt think twice about eating it, you did it (although their better eaten dead because they dont try to wriggle there way back up) anyways we had our own breakfast and scavage what we could for lunch & dinner (lessons during lunch like how to rub to sticks together to make a fire (I dont know how survivorman does it) and towards the late afternoon/evening we had to set up our own biv, find supper and sleep the night (we were given a very limited survival kit like a Knife, whistle, matches, hatchet and a 2-way radio) and me and my buddy had set up our site and just about got everything squared away when another 2 people went through our camp site and said they saw a bear, i told prevost who was nearby gatering firewood to get on the radio, we all evac. our campsite I went with the RSM and we ran into the bear, anyways, we backed up slowly and all was safe and went back to main camp on a different route and "Bugged out" our main Camp and slept the rest of the night at the armouries.

Something tells me putting "Cadets will nourish themselves by gnawing on trees" on an OPSO, wouldn't help it get cleared by the region.

Back