• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Funding Possibilities

warspite

Inactive
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has any ideas for providing funding for the navy. If you look around the forums a lack of funding seems to be a rather common complaint.  I recently read about "ship money". In 16-17century England, ship money was a tax on coastal cities to help pay for the ships that defended them. Under King Charles the tax was made nation wide and while admittedly it was unpopular it was successful and provided the money required to grow the royal navy and keep it operational.  I was wondering if possibly everyone could be required to chip in an extra dollar or two to go along with their taxes. There are roughly 23,000,000 people of taxpaying age in Canada.
23,000,000*3= 69,000,000 which t the government isn't a ton of money but it could be used to help the navy or the forces in general.

If anyone can think of problems with this(and I'm sure there are many) feel free to blast away or if you have any ideas please speak up.

Well it sounds like a good idea, but the fact that the system isnt around anymore probably means there was a pretty good reason. I wouldn't mind paying that sort of money, but i doubt the general population would agreed on it. If that system were to be brought back, people would probably choose to put that money into international aid or something else along those lines.

George,

I hope it's not one of your favorite web sites,
because it doesn't exist anymore, and
all the pages have been wiped out! ;)

Firefox ne peut trouver le serveur à l'adresse navy.ca.

Actually, when I try to go to navy.ca, it just redirects me to the Navy boards here.  Kind of cool, non?  ;)

Truly a CF way of handling things, eh!  "Keep them going around in circles."  ;D

ohhhhh.,....there's gotta be an acronym for that!!!....isn't there?  ;D

The Royal Navy used to get corporate sponsors. Nothing major and nothing flashy. In HMS CORNWALL it was a group called the Leathersellers who were an old guild and financial group from London. The mess decks all got really nice TVs and the wardroom and the CPO's and PO's mess got leather upholstery. I remember taking them to sea one day out of Portsmouth but that was about it.

I know National CarParks, run by a RN WWII vet, sponsored another ship and that there was a program to link 'appropriate' sponsors to ships.

It seemed to work quite well.

LoboCanada said:
Well it sounds like a good idea, but the fact that the system isnt around anymore probably means there was a pretty good reason. I wouldn't mind paying that sort of money, but i doubt the general population would agreed on it. If that system were to be brought back, people would probably choose to put that money into international aid or something else along those lines.
You make a good point. Ship money under the Stuart monarchs was never an issue because the tax was aproved by parliment. But king Charles had dissolved parliment when he put the tax in place and so therefore it was illegal for him to have done so.  But after the civil war between Charles and Parliment Ship money was continued for sometime due to the need to support the navy. It was during this time the royal navy was forged into an efective fighting machine and the articles of war were introduced, creating a heirarchy of command which gave he brittish a tactical advantage over the dutch. 
Also I agree your average Canadian would probably like to see their money got to some other countries aid ???

Back