• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Furious males demand WW2 video game remove option for players to fight as women

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
The critics are wrong, of course:

Furious males demand WW2 video game remove option for players to fight as women

However, other users pointed out that there were many examples of women taking up arms in the US, British and Russian armies.

One wrote: ‘I did my research. Literally there was a female Russian sniper that had 309 kills. Don’t assume women did nothing in WW2.’

British women were also deployed behind enemy lines to prepare the way for the Allied invasion.

Game developer Oskar Gabrielson said: ‘Our commitment as a studio is to do everything we can to create games that are inclusive and diverse.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5799401/Furious-males-demand-WW2-video-game-remove-option-players-fight-women.html#ixzz5HLDSVl9e

....And a way for the less informed to rewrite history in their minds.  ;D

Just as playing COD qualifies you as a NinjasniperJTF2commando.  ;D

I bought a few games recently and noticed the options for gender were male  female and either "other" or gives you a few options.

Its pretty lame to get upset about this crap. I think it's great when games give the player options to customize their characters with gender, body type, looks and ethnicity. My daughter spends more time (and seems more interested in) customizing her character than she does picking weapons but it's still time bonding so I bite my tongue.

Jarnhamar said:
My daughter spends more time (and seems more interested in) customizing her character ....
She's going to love university -- of course, she'll have to trash-talk you and your career, and deny ever  playing any violence-promoting video games!  ;D

Jarnhamar said:
I bought a few games recently and noticed the options for gender were male  female and either "other" or gives you a few options.

Its pretty lame to get upset about this crap. I think it's great when games give the player options to customize their characters with gender, body type, looks and ethnicity. My daughter spends more time (and seems more interested in) customizing her character than she does picking weapons but it's still time bonding so I bite my tongue.
The article is being disingenuous.

Why there is a subset of gamers mad about women being so prominently presented in a WW2 game,  there are many more who are upset about the creative liberties being taken by Electronics Arts and DICE.

Ignoring the woman issue completely,  take a look at this trailer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dfb1MR85XFOc&ved=0ahUKEwidwdeN2rfbAhXq7IMKHRkgAJAQyCkIHjAA&usg=AOvVaw0j9q3Js7wHN3Y-d-3LS1Cf

At what point do you realize that its a WW2 based game?  Personally for me it, is when I see the messerschmitt 109 fall from the sky.

Before that point,  what I do see are a bunch of soldiers,  none of them in what I would identify as WW2 uniforms,  some wearing body armor,  some with blue face paint,  there is a man with a red beret with a Katana,  there is a person with something that at first glance resembles a robot arm, none of it looks like WW2, and this is me completely ignoring the woman issue as I simple do not care one way or another about that.

And to give it some context,  the game developer right before the reveal of this trailer said this would be the most immersive and realistic WW2 game,  not some alternate reality version of it.  They promised a certain type of experience, and what they showed was completely the opposite.

But naturally,  newspapers don't capture all that nuance and it simply sells more papers and gets more hits to say angry male gamers don't like women in games than it does to say gamers who wanted a more accurate depiction of history are angry at the creative liberties that a gaming company is taking with the most destructive conflict in human history.

My :2c:

I'm sorry but this is one of those cases where certain types of people need to grow up. It's just a game FFS.

whiskey601 said:
I'm sorry but this is one of those cases where certain types of people need to grow up. It's just a game FFS.
the last time gamers online protested this much,  the EU and US politicians had to get involved,  so no,  I don't think that is the case.

Journeyman said:
She's going to love university -- of course, she'll have to trash-talk you and your career, and deny ever  playing any violence-promoting video games!  ;D

Maybe I was sheltered (or picked other classes) but I didn't find UWO's history department particularly left wing when I went there.  They had great courses in WWI, WWII and History of Warfare that contributed to me making the Dean's List in 4th year though  :nod:

That being said, there *was* a course in History of Aviation whose prof didn't actually like flying, just the romantic ideal of doing so.  I could never get that part.

Jarnhamar said:

Skyrim?

Dimsum said:
They had great courses in WWI, WWII and History of Warfare that contributed to me making the Dean's List in 4th year though  :nod:
Yes, I've heard  that some schools place different emphasis on quality and quantity.  :whistle:

Of course, it's not like RMC where graduating requires synchronized walking on that big parking lot and playing ping-pong or some such...

/muck-raking tangent  ;D

Well I was super furious that Call of Duty had Nazi zombies.  The historical accuracy was to say the least off.  Them made them slow zombies when everyone knows Nazi zombies were the far more dangerous fast zombies.  It's like they only cared about entertainment value instead of history!

Altiar I agree with everything you said.

When I first watched that trailer a few days ago I thought wtf am I even seeing. It looked like Richard Simmons having a seizure with some WW2 vehicles added for obscure ambiance.  Shit everywhere.

Women WW2 soldiers are the least of that games "realistic" issues. Besides if they want realistic have them kicked out of the game the first time they're shot.

There's a lot of mysogony from male gamers out there but also a lot of "I have boobies looooove me from girls gamers. Recently watched a thread of a girl screaming mysogony after guys told her to piss off and made fun of her  when she was trying to sell her used yoga pants on a forum.

Colin ya Skyrim lol.

So a bunch of chunky neckbeards who couldn’t wheeze their way through a week of basic are butthurt about representations of who could conceivably serve in the military? Neat.

Jarnhamar said:
There's a lot of mysogony from male gamers out there but also a lot of "I have boobies looooove me from girls gamers.

#mommysbasementmetoo :)

Scrolling back, this is the sort of behaviour from the gaming companies (as well as dishonest reporting) which triggered "Gamergte" and is supposed to be the starting point of the modern "Alt-Right" movement.

While there can be a lot of issues over this interpretation (especially the "Alt-right" part, since no one has actually defined it except "what I don't like at this moment"), the fact gamers are being force fed things which are not in line with their expectations as consumers (a WWII game should be clearly based on history, have recognizable historical elements and not pull WWII aficionados out of their "suspension of disbelief"). IF the companies want to sell the games as fantasy interpretations of WWII games, then well and good, there are niche markets for apparently everything.

But the MO seems to be push things on consumers, and when they object, blast the consumers with the latest SJW term of outrage for not following the dictates of the company. And this behaviour is seen on a lot of the entertainment industry: remember the female reboot of Ghostbusters? Despite clear warning that it was poorly written and acted, the film's tanking was an excuse for the entertainment industry to lash out at the filmgoing public. The reboot of the "Ocean's" caper flicks with an all female cast was well written and acted, so, surprise, the public came out to watch it.

So if the gaming industry thinks there is a market for this, then write and produce quality products and clearly market them as such. If they are right, then they will reap the rewards.

Or they can just make the game and market it as they see fit, and let the market decide.

I would posit that very few gamers actually care about this, but that like with almost any issue it's a very small and vocal minority who make most of the noise. It's a non issue that a few people are desperately trying to turn into an issue.

Brihard said:
Or they can just make the game and market it as they see fit, and let the market decide.

I would posit that very few gamers actually care about this, but that like with almost any issue it's a very small and vocal minority who make most of the noise. It's a non issue that a few people are desperately trying to turn into an issue.
Be careful with that, gamer outrage has sunk sales and outright killed popular series before.

Altair said:
Be careful with that, gamer outrage has sunk sales and outright killed popular series before.

Have you played the new assassins creed origins yet?

Me too it was probably my most favorite game in the series. Really enjoyed the more arcade style play and story line was great. Actually got choked up a couple times when Bayek was sitting around talking to his son stargazing, considering the story line.

Had more to ask but think I'll shoot you a PM instead.

Back