• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Fury" WW2-era tank movie remake stars Brad Pitt, Shia Lebeouf

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
"Kelly's Heroes" or "the Battle of the Bulge", anyone?  ;D

Movie Web

David Ayer has unveiled the first photo from his war drama Fury. Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña and Jon Bernthal star in the film, which centers on a five-man Sherman tank crew that are tasked with a deadly mission at the tail end of World War II. Check them all out in this first look.

Fury comes to theaters November 14th, 2014 and stars Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña, Scott Eastwood. The film is directed by David Ayer.

Tank movie?  Dang I was hoping for some "Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos" action. 

The image from the link looks more like a diorama/model/painting than something made with real people.

I wonder what the 'Deadly Mission" will be.....break into a bank and liberate a bunch of gold bars? 

GPComd said:
Tank movie?  Dang I was hoping for some "Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos" action. 

The image from the link looks more like a diorama/model/painting than something made with real people.

I wonder what the 'Deadly Mission" will be.....break into a bank and liberate a bunch of gold bars?

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty ... Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change  ;D Woof Woof

" You zzz the American Army" "No Baby we ain't"

GPComd said:
I wonder what the 'Deadly Mission" will be.....break into a bank DRIVING A TIGER TANK and liberate a bunch of gold bars?

There, fixed that for you.  ;D

Sgt Fury was infantry. Jeb Stuart was the tank crew commander for a Stuart tank. If I recall my comic books correctly.

Looks like a good movie....you will just have to ignore Hollywood making a Sherman into an awesome Tiger killing machine, when in fact only vast numbers of Shermans made them effective at all....but seeing 15 Shermans being destroyed for every Tiger doesn't make for an A list movie in the US :p

Old EO Tech said:
Looks like a good movie....you will just have to ignore Hollywood making a Sherman into an awesome Tiger killing machine, when in fact only vast numbers of Shermans made them effective at all....but seeing 15 Shermans being destroyed for every Tiger doesn't make for an A list movie in the US :p

And to be honest, "Fury" sounds better than "Tommy Cooker". 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_cooker

jollyjacktar said:
Official trailer's out.  Looks good.  Fury

I noticed the "hero's" tank has a muzzle brake on it which would indicate a Sherman Firefly. My understanding is that the Americans newer used the Firefly, only the Commonwealth countries.

Retired AF Guy said:
I noticed the "hero's" tank has a muzzle brake on it which would indicate a Sherman Firefly. My understanding is that the Americans newer used the Firefly, only the Commonwealth countries.

Didn't they use an up-gunned variant of the Sherman, called M4A3E8 "Easy Eight", that had a 76mm gun? And wasn't there also an up-armoured version called the "Jumbo Sherman"? I would have thought that could have lowered the US Sherman vs. Tiger killing ratio.

And why is it there hasn't been a movie yet that focuses on crews of tank destroyers? I've yet to see the US M10 Wolverine or British Achilles tank destroyer in a feature movie.

Anyways here's more movie posters for the upcoming "Fury" movie:

4e4f3d95560f9dff2fbcec48c4dda33d4e2f9f3b

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/brad-pitt-returns-to-war-in-the-first-fury-89765347697.html

879e0000c53291ed16f98b2d0dec1424d67dadf7.jpg

The Tiger was better armed and armoured, but I believe the Sherman was far more maneuverable. It's plausible that they could get around the Sherman's inferiority in the film by having them out-maneuver Tigers in order to kill them. That also seems more of a hero-style way of doing things as opposed to sitting there slinging shells at one another.

S.M.A. said:
Didn't they use an up-gunned variant of the Sherman, called M4A38 "Easy Eight", that had a 76mm gun? And wasn't there also an up-armoured version called the "Jumbo Sherman"? I would have thought that could have lowered the US Sherman vs. Tiger killing ratio.

You are correct, the M4A38 entered US service in late '44. From what I was able to find there are other variants of the Sherman in US service that also used a 76mm gun, however, all the different designations is kind of confusing, especially after a long day and a couple of beer.  ;D 

May try to sort it all out tomorrow.

Some articles on the making of the movie:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2439334/Brad-Pitt-turns-English-countryside-warzone-location-Shirburn-new-film-Fury-Shia-LaBeouf.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film)

First videos out on the making of the film: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/first-look-at-brad-pitt-shia-labeouf-and-logan-lerman-in-new-film-fury-9532249.html

More out of curiosity since I don't know, but did the US Army have mixed-colour tank crews in 1945?

Retired AF Guy said:
You are correct, the M4A38 entered US service in late '44. From what I was able to find there are other variants of the Sherman in US service that also used a 76mm gun, however, all the different designations is kind of confusing, especially after a long day and a couple of beer.  ;D 

May try to sort it all out tomorrow.

The real Tiger killer would have been the M26 Pershing, with the 90mm gun, but it came to late in the war to be a factor.  Germany had lost the war already by the time it came along.  There were a couple Tiger vs Pershing engagements...but not on mass.

Dammit. Must play World of Tanks now.

Incidentally, anyone who doesn't play World of Tanks is seriously missing out.

How have we not played WoT yet?  Then again I'm disappearing for 4 months... Right in time for this movie to come out.

Back