• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of the OPME program/Everything you ever wanted to know about OPME

fhg1893 said:
I was wrong about POE206, some NCM's who requested it were registered for it.  Of course, that being said, SOMEBODY who may or may not have anything to do with some of the technical problems we've been having has been changing the numbers of permitted registrations in the OPME portal.  This is a signal to me that I can load against these spots, but I'm not sure they actually exist.  I can assure you that these phantom spots WEREN'T THERE three-four weeks ago.  Hopefully, those spots do in fact exist.  If they do not, I can predict a lot of angry NCM's in the future if SOMEBODY indicated to me through the system that there were places in a course which didn't really exist. 

Guess what everybody?  I was right.  I just found out that SOMEBODY forgot to change the numbers, and in effect "created" spots that weren't ever supposed to exist.  I've sent it up the chain, and now have to wait to be advised on our next step.  Some people are going to be shuffled around and sent to a different instructor, but I don't know who just yet.  Some people may be forcibly removed from the course.  Again, I don't know who.

Can anybody tell me what would happen in the Canadian Forces if I'd pointed out a screw-up like this before the fact?  Because I just can't envision anything positive happening in the public service thanks to my vigiliance...

fhg1893 said:
Guess what everybody?  I was right.  I just found out that SOMEBODY forgot to change the numbers, and in effect "created" spots that weren't ever supposed to exist.  I've sent it up the chain, and now have to wait to be advised on our next step.  Some people are going to be shuffled around and sent to a different instructor, but I don't know who just yet.  Some people may be forcibly removed from the course.  Again, I don't know who.

Can anybody tell me what would happen in the Canadian Forces if I'd pointed out a screw-up like this before the fact?  Because I just can't envision anything positive happening in the public service thanks to my vigiliance...

You would be branded a witch and NIS would be sent to find you with a view to stealing your powers of foresight.

So what kinda bribes do you accept to ensure we keep our spot, brah?

ObedientiaZelum said:
You would be branded a witch and NIS would be sent to find you with a view to stealing your powers of foresight.

So what kinda bribes do you accept to ensure we keep our spot, brah?

It's the professors you've got to bribe, not me.

I've been instructed to try to retain everyone, and thankfully, the OPME programme supervisor directed me to save 10 spots in each course, so what will probably happen is that people who's spots "don't exist" will be shuffled into those spots where possible.  Also, not all spots were claimed by undergradute students, so in at least one course, on paper, we have enough space for everybody despite the screwup.  We will also ask that some instructors accept more students than they're contracted for.  This is where bribes might be helpful.

But let me find out a few more details about who's affected and who's not before you all start trying to bribe your instructors.

Jim Seggie said:
Rejected again.

There's always next year, right?

For now.  Register for everything you can, on June 1st, at ~08:00 EST.  That maximizes your chances.

CDA is naturally working on a brand-spanking new course-delivery system which will be automatically signed in, or so I'm told, with your DWAN account.  Given the way that the DWAN tends to work, or not work, as the case may be, and given that Borden recently lost a server, or so I'm told, pardon me, I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.  I've heard grandiose promises before.  Mostly about DNDLearn...

FYI, DNDLearn will be going offline May 2013, and will be replaced with the new DLN program.  As for how great that program is/will be, you can make that decision for yourself when it is released.

Griffon said:
FYI, DNDLearn will be going offline May 2013, and will be replaced with the new DLN program.  As for how great that program is/will be, you can make that decision for yourself when it is released.

Which I just got confirmed will be DWAN only at least in the short-term.  Which means that if you don't have permanent DWAN access, you're pretty-much SOL for doing courses.  If you want to do your courses at home, you're SOL - you must go into the office, no exceptions.  If you're OUTCAN, you're SOL.  And so on...

I wouldn't expect a lot of publicity about this, I presently have enough to do telling everybody that they CAN do courses from home, without any special setup.  Can you just read the enthusiasm with which I'm anticipating possibly having to tell people that starting May 2013, they CAN'T do courses from home, no exceptions?

Unless that plan changes, folks, meet the new boss, same as the old boss...  :facepalm:

They better put that nice and clear on the registration.  I know for example myself when I got I did my DNDLearn stuff both for DL on course and OPMEs I did the majority of it at home as at work there is 4 of us sharing one computer.  That would force me to come into work after hours to log in and I doubt if I would have been able to finish my last course that way.l

I'm glad i did all this before it was the "in" thing to do..........

Was there any reason (that you can tell us) as to why DNDLearn is going DWAN-only? 

Dimsum said:
Was there any reason (that you can tell us) as to why DNDLearn is going DWAN-only?

I can only speculate.  My guess is that it's because the contract for delivering DNDLearn has been won by a new company, requiring new hardware, so the powers-that-be decided to get DNDLearn working on the DWAN first, and everything else second.

I can only speculate.  My guess is that it's because the contract for delivering DNDLearn has been won by a new company, requiring new hardware, so the powers-that-be decided to get DNDLearn working on the DWAN first, and everything else second.

That's fairly close.  The statement of requirements for DLN include internet access, but as you say this capability has not been put in place yet.  Because the content repository for DLN is supposed to be able to house info subject to CG/ITAR, there are a few security requirements that need to be in place that were apparently not required with DNDLearn.  Internet access was supposed to be in place this year, but I don't know when it'll actually happen.  I can however tell you that they are working on it, and I hope it'll be in place before DNDLearn goes offline.

fhg1893 said:
It's the professors you've got to bribe, not me.

My understanding is, that the department has found room for everyone, and noone who was previously approved for a course will be removed from a course now.

This is a change from previous.  I've notified several affected personel this morning.  Other staff members are handling other personel. 

CDN Aviator said:
I'm glad i did all this before it was the "in" thing to do..........

A gift to yourself unlikely to stop paying off any time soon.    ;D

You probably had the luxury of automatically generated system e-mails that actually worked without having to be pushed out by a third party.  I remember those.  I miss those.

Sorry to revive this, but with the ending of OPMEs early next year, does anyone know what happens to folks who need all 6 completed to get further courses (ASC, etc.) but won't be able to finish all 6 by the deadline?  I was hoping to finish my last one in the summer 2013 session due to a deployment.

Dimsum said:
Sorry to revive this, but with the ending of OPMEs early next year, does anyone know what happens to folks who need all 6 completed to get further courses (ASC, etc.) but won't be able to finish all 6 by the deadline?  I was hoping to finish my last one in the summer 2013 session due to a deployment.

OPME is being replaced with the CF Junior Officer Development (CFJOD) Programme beginning on April 2013.  The amount of time required to complete CFJOD is approximately 25% less than OPME.  There will be a CANFORGEN coming out soon with more details.

Haggis said:
OPME is being replaced with the CF Junior Officer Development (CFJOD) Programme beginning on April 2013.  The amount of time required to complete CFJOD is approximately 25% less than OPME.  There will be a CANFORGEN coming out soon with more details.

Thanks for the info.  Is this the same program rumoured on here to be DWAN-only?  If so, that won't work as I don't have DWAN. 

Following on to that question, since there are apparently 2 sessions left of OPME, has anyone done the CF and Society course recently (or are doing it now)?  I'm hoping to enroll in that course next session, but have 2 questions:

1.  Does that course have actual textbooks or is all of the course material online?
2.  Are the assignments in that course strictly essay-based or are they exam/quiz style where it is time-limited?

The reason I ask is that I will be either in pre-deployment training away from home base or deployed throughout that time and while I expect to have enough time to complete essays, I will not be able to devote 3 hours with a steady Internet connection to do a timed essay exam.  As for the books, I'm not going to be home for a while during that session and will be deployed away from other Canadians afterwards, so getting books and returning them will be....problematic.

Hey man,

First off, thanks for all you've done in posting this information, it's cleared up a good number of questions for me.  However, that said, it's created a few too.  I'm a cpl with only 4 years in and I just found out about the OPME's this past spring.  I'm just finishing up on my PSE402, but this is the first of my OMPE's.  I have applied for two more for the fall season, DCE001 and DCE002 (which you've said are amongst the most popular courses).  I didn't think I was likely to have the time to work on an OPME this coming semester, but just found out I could and replied late (though still within the application window).  My three questions are as follows:

1. The points on NCM merit boards that you referred to earlier, how can I find out how that system works?  (As in how many points does each OPME give an NCM, does an NCM need to have finished all of the OPMEs in order to qualify for them, and does the number of points credited vary from course to course)
2. When you said DCE001 and DCE002 were the most popular, does that also imply that they're more difficult to land a spot in?  I ask because of my NCM status and  my late registration
3. As it stands presently according to your forecasted the timeline of OPME program change, I couldn't finish all 6 even if I somehow managed enrollment in 2 each term.  You mentioned that the DCE001/002 courses were likely to change, so given the fact I can't finish all 6 prior to April and the fact that DCE001/002 apparently change frequently, is there even any purpose in enrolling in them?

Thanks!

Although some branches apply criteria for merit boards differently than others, there is usually 2 point for each member of the board for professional  development.  A completed OPME in the reporting period is worth one of those points.  If you do 2 in the reporting period you max out at 2 points.  If you complete 3 OPMEs that is worth one point every year.  If you complete 5 OPMEs that is worth 2 points every year.  As far as the program changing, previous courses should be recognized as equivalent.  The career manager can tell you how the points work and it my be in his briefing on the EMMA website.  Further DCE001 and DCE002 are most popular because they are not university level courses.  They are allot of reading followed by online exams of multiple choice.  Honestly they could both be completed in a weekend or 2 quite easily.  Nothing like the PSE 402.  All the best of luck in your studies.

Back