• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

I have no information to suggest that Viking is actually going to build the Buff... but I wouldn't be surprised!
Viking has there hands full. They have to finish producing the Dash 8s. Move the plant and set up service parts distribution.

Had a ride in a Buf in 1988. Did a STO and then did several circuits around the base, followed by a short landing. Very cool.

Not so long agot, the federal government anounced the replacement of the Herc in the SAR role. As there been any developements since then ? I have seen some of the contenders for this project but i have no heard of any final decisions.

As well, can anyone tell me what the specifications for the project are (I.E. crew composition, sensors, performance.......)
1st post in this thread. Almost two decades later and those Hercs are still going strong.

😁

I used to see the buffs and the labs fly over Summerside in the 90's. Went to an air show where the buff did a stol demo. It blew a tire on the landing. It was truly amazing how short it could get airborne and how short it could land. It was sad to see her leave Summerside, it's sad now to see her gone for good. Let's hope her successor is as good a plane as promised.

Seeing the buffs and labs flyover daily probably Kickstart my love of aviaton.

Yeah, this project is a $h!t$h0w. I’m surprised the media doesn’t care yet.
You could say the same for almost every other project undertaken in the past twenty years. I can think of only a handful that actually went well:

CH47 procurement
C17 procurement
M777 procurement

Any procurement project that has gone well has been because we bought it OTS due to an UOR. Literally everything else has been a dogs breakfast.

You could say the same for almost every other project undertaken in the past twenty years. I can think of only a handful that actually went well:

CH47 procurement
C17 procurement
M777 procurement

Any procurement project that has gone well has been because we bought it OTS due to an UOR. Literally everything else has been a dogs breakfast.
Good point, they could probably just pull any procurement news story and change the name and it would be accurate.

Yeah, this project is a $h!t$h0w. I’m surprised the media doesn’t care yet.
We have...um...other issues that give the MSM enough fodder.

"Govt procurement delayed" isn't nearly as sexy of a headline, unless people die from lack of SAR assets. Or airlift, or fighter, or helicopter, etc.

We have...um...other issues that give the MSM enough fodder.

"Govt procurement delayed" isn't nearly as sexy of a headline, unless people die from lack of SAR assets. Or airlift, or fighter, or helicopter, etc.
Tax payers should be far more outraged by the lost billions in defense procurement due to delays then they are, maybe if we showed the how many day care spots it could provide they would care?

Tax payers should be far more outraged by the lost billions in defense procurement due to delays then they are, maybe if we showed the how many day care spots it could provide they would care?
Bad idea! Instead they would agitate for the moneys to be used for daycare so it wouldn't go to waste on useless things like bullets, planes, and ships

CH47 procurement
C17 procurement
M777 procurement

And you may recall that all three were "directed" (by the MND of the day ~ mostly by the hated by many Gord O'Connor) and sole sourced, too, over the objections of the opposition, the media, many senior civil servants and a few admirals and generals who were (already) in bed with the defence industry.

CH47 procurement
C17 procurement
M777 procurement

Technically, of the Chinooks, only the IMLC CH-147D project for AFG was a UOR (but it still followed the DSP’s five phases of a major capital project: ID; Options Analysis; Definition; Implementation and Close Out).

The MHLH CH-147F was a ‘regular’ (policy-based) major capital program, ID started in 2005, closed out in 2019/2020.

CH-147F procurement might have been a good one for the CAF but I don't know if I would classify it as an example of a good procurement. I believe there's a couple of Auditor's reports on it

What was the deal with O'Connor anyways? Why was he disliked?

CH-147F procurement might have been a good one for the CAF but I don't know if I would classify it as an example of a good procurement. I believe there's a couple of Auditor's reports on it

Everything could likely be torn apart by the AG. If you read Sheila Fraser’s Speing 2014 report, you’ll see the focus was on the Cyclone’s failings. Fraser’s biggest complaint of the MHLH, was her take was that it was indiscriminately sole-sourced, vice the Department’s position that is was single bidder-compliant, followed shortly by PWGSC’s ACAN. For delivering the capability, it seems to have done it successfully, within the 2009 TB EPA(Imp) assigned budget and timeline.

Compared to MHP, FWSAR, FFCP (CF-188 replacement) and other big ticket items, it’s pretty solid. Canadians that have been evac’d from forest fires or floods appreciated it, wounded troops in Mali appreciated it…seems to be working fine, notwithstanding AG’s beef on some aspects of the path to get there.

Back