• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen X recruits vs Gen Y recruits

kratz said:
Hence the age old advice to "join the military young man. "  :)

I got the "flip burgers for the summer, or try out the reserves, either way, start trying to find a summer job". 6 years later, I've got a tour and pondering a CT. Guess the advice works!

What are the kids born after 1990 called? Generation Z?! I've noticed a severe attitude problem with some of these young kids, and a few will be looking to the forces in the next 3-5 years. Then again, the Boomers probably thought all my generation has an attitude problem as well!

PuckChaser said:
What are the kids born after 1990 called? Generation Z?! I've noticed a severe attitude problem with some of these young kids, and a few will be looking to the forces in the next 3-5 years. Then again, the Boomers probably thought all my generation has an attitude problem as well!

;D

Time to do the Math!  They are joining now.

PuckChaser said:

They are known as the second half of generation Y.

The disrespect challenges I see my people take at the counter these days is a symptom of the general shift in cultural attitude. When I joined, if a Cpl said it could not be done, then it could not be done. Today, I see members asking to speak to the MS or the PO before they can understand that it is not possible to meet their request.  ::)

Mods should deleate this! This could cause hatred and contempt of a visible group in Canadian society. Im going to call the HRC's and complain!
;D

Fireball said:
Gen Ys are the first generation in history to be raised by parents that are exponentially more prosperous than the generation before them...leading to children with expectations of instant gratification.  They are the first generation not to have known life before computers.  They are the first generation to live from birth-death in a ecologically conscience society.  They are the first generation to be raised en-mass by single parent families or same sex couples.

This is also the first generation to have their families ripped apart by capitalists. This is the first generation to see, first hand, daddy spend 18 long, loyal, hard years for company X, only to be kicked to the curb with not so much as a handshake. This is the first generation to see the company deem mommy's job redundant, and replace her with a computer program.

This generation is the first to realize that what they do for the company, the company isn't willing to do for them. They question being loyal to the company, when they know the company is going to screw them - and as a result, they are willing to "jump". Most of them also realize that the fastest way to get a promotion/raise is to go next door where buddy makes two bucks an hour more to do the same job. Earlier in this thread someone used the term "seller's market", I think that fits. Young people are now looking out for number one, because they know their boss is.

Sure, in this line of work we (generally) have the luxury of Snr NCO's that will bend over backwards to ensure their troops are taken care of, but we still hear horror stories of the guys in the regs blowing out a knee on ex, going on T-Cat for the duration of their contract, and then not having it renewed.

Yes, sometimes the attitude is for the worse, but they are a product of their environment, and it's Darwinism at it's finest.

I'm one of these "snotty, bratty, no respect for authority" gen y'ers that seem to have had the brush painted on me and let me say I agree with you... to a point.

Look around and you will see a lot of unmotivated, dependant, "entitled" individuals out there in society. Were there not these kinds of people 20, 40, 400 years ago? Unfortunate to use this as a reference, but wasn't Adolf Hitler, one of the most powerful men in history, an unmotivated art school drop out on the streets of Vienna?

For every vagrant in a generation there are at least 4000 who have some measure of sucess, be that a job, are in school, or have obtained a degree. Out of my graduating class in 2006 there were only 4 people who did not receive their diplomas, and only 10 who were not taking some form of post secondary. 3 of us joined the CF. So 11 out of a graduating class of 84 had no direction outside of highschool. I'm not good with percentages, but thats a relatively small percentage.

As for the "they don't listen, they're unmotivated, they need constant direction, they have no respect" issue, name a group of fresh recruits in any industry at any point in history that came premolded? Experience and age have a way of making some person forget what it is to be brand spanking new and not have the damnedest idea about lessons learned. Mainly because we weren't there to learn the lesson. Teach the lesson and we might be a little drier behind the ears for it.

Whatever the case, I'm a Gen Yer by label, but a soldier none the less. I still get up every morning and shave, do my job well, and go home and have a beer after work. I'm sure many many generations after me will be following the same routine.

I remember watching a series of movies at a Chapel in Gagetown (not much to do back in the middle 80's in Gagetown on a Sunday night), it was moderated by Leo Buscaglia and one segment was called, "You are what you were when!"  His theory was that between 2-7 years old children adapt or model their personalities after those people around them, which is mostly adults.  In my day those adults had yardsticks, belts, canes, straps and rubber spoons that were draw in absence of appropriate behaviour.  A lot of children from the last 2 decades, during the period between 2-7 are plopped by babysitters or after school daycare providers in front tvs, video games, Ipods and Playstations - where they have free-reign to reek havoc over the characters in their games or watch random acts of violence in movies, sitcoms, cartoons and after school specials (oh, they don't watch those any more!?)  We reap what we sow!

I guess we can all agree (despite our generational differences) that we are a product of our upbringing and environment.  I can't lay blame on the Gen Y for turning out the way they are now (there are exceptions of course), that's for sure.  What we can do is raise our current/future children (whom some will no doubt join the CF) to be self-sufficent, street wise and instill a decent work ethic.

This begs the questions for old timers like us - Is the CF better today with the new crop of recruits or was it better say 10, 20 or 30 years ago when troops coming in were expected to be molded into the heirarchial structure without question?  The same question applies to Civvie companies that I deal with and not one of the them can come up with an answer - it's a work in progress.

On a side note - does every parent nowadays drive their kids to school/activities?  The drop-off lineup in the morning at a nearby school is unbelievably long.  I had to walk 1 km each way every day starting from grade one - alone!  I hope we aren't raising wimpy kids, because they'll end up being wimpy soldiers and leaders.

J

Fireball said:
I guess we can all agree (despite our generational differences) that we are a product of our upbringing and environment.  I can't lay blame on the Gen Y for turning out the way they are now (there are exceptions of course), that's for sure.  What we can do is raise our current/future children (whom some will no doubt join the CF) to be self-sufficent, street wise and instill a decent work ethic.

Hear hear!

Fireball said:
This begs the questions for old timers like us - Is the CF better today with the new crop of recruits or was it better say 10, 20 or 30 years ago when troops coming in were expected to be molded into the heirarchial structure without question?  The same question applies to Civvie companies that I deal with and not one of the them can come up with an answer - it's a work in progress.

I think you'll see a lot of well informed, competent soldiers who are motivated and love doing their job. I think what the main change will be the blind obedience most Snr NCOs are used to. I remember every day in my first week or so I was asking "Who, what, Where, Why , and when" because i wanted to make sure I knew the job in and out and didn't screw it up so someone else had to clean up the mess. Also, I think that so long as members (Gen Y or other) know that what they're doing serves a purpose, and isn't a waste of their time... then everybody's happy.

Fireball said:
On a side note - does every parent nowadays drive their kids to school/activities?  The drop-off lineup in the morning at a nearby school is unbelievably long.  I had to walk 1 km each way every day starting from grade one - alone!  I hope we aren't raising wimpy kids, because they'll end up being wimpy soldiers and leaders.

Blame mass media hysteria for that one. Didn't you hear? there are 50 rapists, muggers, serial killers, and kidnappers each within the 3 blocks it takes your kid to walk to school  ::) Or the dreaded killer bees out to get your children.
J
[/quote]

rmc_wannabe said:
I remember every day in my first week or so I was asking "Who, what, Where, Why , and when" because i wanted to make sure I knew the job in and out and didn't screw it up so someone else had to clean up the mess. Also, I think that so long as members (Gen Y or other) know that what they're doing serves a purpose, and isn't a waste of their time... then everybody's happy.

These are is a symptoms of the newer generations - previous ones were satisfied with the responses, "I told you so. and I ill tell you when the time is right."  You can't know your job in the first week and for the first 3 years you are expected to screw up.  Once you put on the uniform you have nothing but time and it is not your decision to determine if someone is wasting it or to keep you happy.  I loved seing the well-lit sign in front of the drill hall in Cornwallis - "Learn to Serve".  You serve your country and your leaders.

The listening sentry on the top of the hill in the blazing sun of Zari province, AF is not likely very happy.  Or the lone machine gunner on the right flank of the position watching the patrol hit the road.  The hatches down driver or the air sentry in the LAV or Bison who knows drivers and sentries are most susceptible to IEDs is not very happy either.

The same applies to young officers - in every unit there are shitty little jobs that need to get done that don't bring great rewards - Canteen/Kit Shop officers, Non-public property custodians, Assistant Adjutants, Unit Historians. After 25 years as an Officers I have done all of these things at various ranks.

So if you are concerned about someone wasting your time or keeping a smile on your mug then you have a long career ahead of you.

Frostnipped Elf said:
These are is a symptoms of the newer generations - previous ones were satisfied with the responses, "I told you so. and I ill tell you when the time is right."  You can't know your job in the first week and for the first 3 years you are expected to screw up.  Once you put on the uniform you have nothing but time and it is not your decision to determine if someone is wasting it or to keep you happy.  I loved seing the well-lit sign in front of the drill hall in Cornwallis - "Learn to Serve".  You serve your country and your leaders.

The listening sentry on the top of the hill in the blazing sun of Zari province, AF is not likely very happy.  Or the lone machine gunner on the right flank of the position watching the patrol hit the road.  The hatches down driver or the air sentry in the LAV or Bison who knows drivers and sentries are most susceptible to IEDs is not very happy either.

The same applies to young officers - in every unit there are shitty little jobs that need to get done that don't bring great rewards - Canteen/Kit Shop officers, Non-public property custodians, Assistant Adjutants, Unit Historians. After 25 years as an Officers I have done all of these things at various ranks.

So if you are concerned about someone wasting your time or keeping a smile on your mug then you have a long career ahead of you.

What i highlighted are things that suck balls and no one likes doing, but you know that it serves a purpose, somewhere. re sweeping the parade square for the 4th time that morning because theres no other work for you to do serves no purpose. I do serve the leaders becase thats my duty, but I highly doubt this is something restricted  to my generation. for every $hit tasking in the history of armed warfare there has always been griping. How loud and how frequent its become is a matter of debate.

Back