• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General advice needed

Basswindu

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm interested in joining the forces as either a materials technician or combat engineer. I have completed my highschool education and I'm currently finishing a year course for welding at a college (currently doing very well with an 80% average).
Unfortunately I only have my G1 simply due to the fact I haven't been home to practice or do the G2 testing yet.
I applied, and I got an email back in regards to setting up an appointment at my local CFRC. Would requesting the interview be in late August/ early Sept be too much? As well, will my lack of a drivers license hinder me? I'm aware that Combat Engineers to a driving course, but I'm concerned it would put me on lower standing compared to other applicants.

Basswindu said:
I'm interested in joining the forces as either a materials technician or combat engineer. I have completed my highschool education and I'm currently finishing a year course for welding at a college (currently doing very well with an 80% average).
Unfortunately I only have my G1 simply due to the fact I haven't been home to practice or do the G2 testing yet.
I applied, and I got an email back in regards to setting up an appointment at my local CFRC. Would requesting the interview be in late August/ early Sept be too much? As well, will my lack of a drivers license hinder me? I'm aware that Combat Engineers to a driving course, but I'm concerned it would put me on lower standing compared to other applicants.

Your initial appointment is for you to write the CFAT (Aptitude Test).  So your main concern at this point, should be studying/preparing to write that test and nothing more.  I don't believe that not having an unrestricted provincial drivers licence is going to be a sticking point given your occupation choices and you won't be held in lower standing as a result.

Study and study hard.  It's the MOST important part of your application!

Good luck.

Thank you for such a fast response.  :D
I'm relieved to hear the license aspect won't be of concern.
As my course has a relatively light workload in terms of homework I will have a large amount of time to study.

Here's hoping the studying will pay off!

How long does a background check usually take while applying for the military

Moshpitt said:
How long does a background check usually take while applying for the military

The timelines for a "basic" background check will vary from applicant to applicant.

However, once your local Recruiting Centre has initiated the process, the Criminal Record and Credit Checks usually take anywhere from 5-10 business days, provided there is NO backlog in the system.  The personal reference/credential checks are contracted out to GARDA who will be responsible for this portion of the processing.  On average, GARDA results are normally returned to your CFRC within 14 business days but ONLY if they were successful in contacting the references that you listed on the forms.  After that, the information above is put together into a package for further review and processing by your local CFRC which can add another 5-10 business days before they are approved.

Provided everything goes well and there are no issues in contacting your references, a reasonable waiting time would be in the area of 4-5 weeks.

I noticed combat engineer is no longer listed as hiring. Would it be possible to transfer into it at a later stage?

Good Day,

Although the website is no longer showing "Now Hiring" the Canadian Armed Forces is still processing files for Combat Engineer as there is still openings within that occupation for the 2016/2017 Recruiting Year.  If you want Combat Engineer as your first pick leave that on your file and continue through the processing.  If you add occupations onto your file later in the stage that you have not done an interview for you will need to do another interview.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Thanks for the info,

If combat engineer still has openings then I won't remove it, but then it'd be a matter convincing my parents that going combat engineer wouldn't be a bad choice. They don't want me in the combat trades, based off of their own experiences I assume.

Back