• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General CFRC Questions – Regular Forces

There are no guarantees in any career.

There are no guarantees in any aspect of life.

Except, of course, the traditional two.

Louis_Army said:
I'm not sure how to define on the spot. I mean being guaranteed a place as long as I proceed normally through the process and show a reasonable understanding of what I'm getting into with a strong motivation to serve my country.
Please note that there is no guarantee to being selected for any occupation just by proceeding normally through the process.  The CAF gets over 40,000 applications a year and depending on the year, but on average only 5,000-6,000 of those applications are selected to receive an offer of employment. 

While there are many of us on here who have spent many years in uniform, some even as recruiters - I would strongly encourage you to (1) take time to browse the occupations on the CAF website: and (2) visit your local CFRC to discuss the trades that you find interesting.

Hey everyone! so I just got and email today saying that I have been given an offer of employment, I was not able to reach my file manager before the end of day, so I am just wondering how long do they hold the offer for? I just really don't want to be past over.

FinnO25 said:
so I just got and email today saying that I have been given an offer of employment, I was not able to reach my file manager before the end of day, so I am just wondering how long do they hold the offer for?

Position Offered: September 21st 2017
(I have to call in tomorrow to formally accept and get my dates etc!!!)

Congratulations.

Why not contact them tomorrow and ask?

FinnO25 said:
So you're saying that they will still have it for me tomorrow?

FinnO25 said:
Position Offered: September 21st 2017
(I have to call in tomorrow to formally accept and get my dates etc!!!)

I'm saying, why not call them tomorrow?

Some recruiting centres do it like raffles - if you're not there when your ticket's drawn they draw another.

I think that you'll be fine for another day, though. Just a feeling...

I couldn't think of a better title. I realize that the way I feel really comes down to me and no one else.
That being said, I'm having second thoughts about joining.

I am going to be enrolled on the 19th, 16 days from now, basic training follows on the 8th of January. From the day I decided to join back in June I haven't had a second thought. I knew it was what I wanted to do and nothing was going to sway me.

But now it has hit me. Not necessarily the sudden realization that it is so close or that it is really happening. What has hit me is that I don't think that I'm ready for this kind of commitment. I'm 19, barely lived, and about to sign away the next 5 years of my life (I do know about the VR 4 or 5 weeks into basic).

I have 2 great opportunities either way. I can join the forces now, have my education paid for, some of the worlds best training, discipline, and invaluable experience. With the catch of going where I am told when I am told to go, putting my relationship on hold for basically a year (likely longer), moving away from everyone I know (friends and family), and making less than my civilian equivalent.
Or I can work for the next 10 months and go to college (already a spot made for me in September 2018) for heavy duty diesel mechanics (would be vehicle tech in military). Building my relationship up and getting married, being able to build a solid future with relative certainty to were I will be 5 years from now. With the guarantee that I can still at least apply in x amount of years.

Obviously there are numerous amounts of pro's and con's unlisted.

I have been talking with my girlfriend for several hours on this. She insists that I not stay for her and that she refuses to hold me back (god I love this girl), and that we will make it work. But really I think it is me that is holding me back, I don't think I'm ready, both were I am in life and were I am mentally/emotionally (not that I'm messed in the head).

Personally, every person who has served/serves my country via military has my utmost respect. I believe that it is the most honorable thing a person can do. I would go so far as to say that if a person hasn't been willing to die for this country they shouldn't be the leader of our country.

All that being said, is there any shame or dishonor in getting this far in the process, just weeks away from getting to basic, and turning away? That is what I'm struggling the most with. I can ask my friends and family, but truthfully, they haven't served and while I love them, they don't have the same authority to me to answer that question as solidly as I believe a person who has served does.

Ultimately it is my decision, I will be the one that has to sleep at night after making it. I just need to know, if I feel ashamed or dishonorable, is it warranted, or is it smaller than I am making it for myself?

Q.Lamb said:
I am going to be enrolled on the 19th,

If you are considering declining, you may find this discussion of interest,

Declining an offer (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104645.0
3 pages.

Lamb,

Basic training is set up to isolate you from your family and outside world (initially). It can be an extremely stressful situation if you're not physically and mentally prepared for it. Lots of recruits get there and have second thoughts. Some manage to get past it and make it through, some quit. I've found being away from girlfriends/wives/partners is one of the leading reasons recruits want to quit.

You might get there, love it and want to sign up for 20 years, might want to jump off a bridge or feel anywhere along that spectrum.

At the end of the day you simply have to make a decision and accept the consequences that come along with it. Whether it's the loss of freedom for X amount of time or always wondering "what if" you stayed.

My personal opinion is if you have an opportunity to go to college and get a trade THEN join the military it's a bonus because you'll be bringing more experience in to the military AND you have a solid backup plan if you either end up hating the military or you get injured during training and have to release. But at the same time if you join 3 years later you might miss awesome oppertunities, tours, courses and be behind people joining today.   

Big decision. Pick one, accept the consequences and if you make the wrong decision own up to it and fix it, don't try and take an easy way out (like faking an injury/family crisis).

Huge decision to make for sure. I know it seems hard at first to leave people behind but after a few weeks and once your settled in, those feelings slowly start to fade. The first few weeks of my first tasking in Gagetown I was pretty depressed, but one day I told myself I'm here and better make the best of it. After that I had a pretty good time. But if you are going in with your current attitude as a new recruit then heed your own feelings. If you feel your setting yourself up for failure then don't go and waste your time. Personally I think you should go because as stated earlier you'll probably always have that "what if" in the back of your head. Just my two cents, good luck and all the best in your endeavours.

You claimed that "you haven't really lived," yet.  My question to you is, what makes you think that you can't do that as a member of the Armed Forces?  We are not separate from society.  We are part of it.  Yes, there are a few hardships to start with in terms of isolation and being away from home and these things will continue throughout your time in the CAF, but in the broader scheme of things and life, these times are relatively brief and infrequent.  The vast majority of CAF member spend most of their time at home and most of their time working Monday through Friday.  We live in our communities and partake in all that has to offer.  The biggest difference is that don't have to choose what we wear to work everyday and occasionally we get to do some really cool stuff. To give you my own example:  I have a house in the suburbs, two cats, two vehicles parked in garage and I have to occasionally mow the lawn, just like the civilians who live around me.  I also play on a local rugby team and coach my kids in their sports.  In other words, I live a pretty normal middle class life which is only occasionally interrupted to go away and so something cool (for which I'm generally pretty well paid).

I dispute the idea that one can do the same job outside the military for more money.  While this is certainly true in some cases, it is by no means universal, nor is it that common.  When I compare myself to many of my civilian friends (yes, I have a few of those), when you look at our leave policy and the host of other benefits we receive (the pension being right at the top of that list) AND the fact that I am extremely unlikely to ever lose my job or get laid off, I think I am way ahead.  I will be retiring in two years with a pension that will give me an income that is significantly higher than what a lot of people earn working full time.

My advice to you is try it.  Give it some time.  In life we often regret the things we never did far more than the things we didn't.  Your college program will still be there if things don't work out in the military.  Colleges are pretty open and there is a high demand for skilled trades programs, so your chances or getting back into your program of choice are pretty high (whether that translates into a job on the other end is another question).  However, the reverse is not always true.  If you go through this forum, you will see many stories of great struggles to get into the Armed Forces.  If you pull out now, it could be years before you get the chance again - if ever.  You have been given this opportunity and opportunity does not always come around twice.  Also, the first few years in the military are the toughest and I would say it's better to do it while you're young.  If you wait a few years, you may have a mortgage, kids and the other trappings of adult life that will only make it harder to start out in the military.  Remember that when you're 19 and single or 29 with three kids, the pay for a private is the same.  I understand your reluctance to leave your girlfriend behind, but she's not the one holding you back.  If your relationship is strong, you will weather this storm and again, it's better to do this now, than later when "adulting" catches up with you (and it will).

The most important thing you have to do right now is have faith in yourself.

Q.Lamb said:
I couldn't think of a better title. I realize that the way I feel really comes down to me and no one else.
That being said, I'm having second thoughts about joining.

I am going to be enrolled on the 19th, 16 days from now, basic training follows on the 8th of January. From the day I decided to join back in June I haven't had a second thought. I knew it was what I wanted to do and nothing was going to sway me.

But now it has hit me. Not necessarily the sudden realization that it is so close or that it is really happening. What has hit me is that I don't think that I'm ready for this kind of commitment. I'm 19, barely lived, and about to sign away the next 5 years of my life (I do know about the VR 4 or 5 weeks into basic).

I have 2 great opportunities either way. I can join the forces now, have my education paid for, some of the worlds best training, discipline, and invaluable experience. With the catch of going where I am told when I am told to go, putting my relationship on hold for basically a year (likely longer), moving away from everyone I know (friends and family), and making less than my civilian equivalent.
Or I can work for the next 10 months and go to college (already a spot made for me in September 2018) for heavy duty diesel mechanics (would be vehicle tech in military). Building my relationship up and getting married, being able to build a solid future with relative certainty to were I will be 5 years from now. With the guarantee that I can still at least apply in x amount of years.

Obviously there are numerous amounts of pro's and con's unlisted.

I have been talking with my girlfriend for several hours on this. She insists that I not stay for her and that she refuses to hold me back (god I love this girl), and that we will make it work. But really I think it is me that is holding me back, I don't think I'm ready, both were I am in life and were I am mentally/emotionally (not that I'm messed in the head).

Personally, every person who has served/serves my country via military has my utmost respect. I believe that it is the most honorable thing a person can do. I would go so far as to say that if a person hasn't been willing to die for this country they shouldn't be the leader of our country.

All that being said, is there any shame or dishonor in getting this far in the process, just weeks away from getting to basic, and turning away? That is what I'm struggling the most with. I can ask my friends and family, but truthfully, they haven't served and while I love them, they don't have the same authority to me to answer that question as solidly as I believe a person who has served does.

Ultimately it is my decision, I will be the one that has to sleep at night after making it. I just need to know, if I feel ashamed or dishonorable, is it warranted, or is it smaller than I am making it for myself?

My personal thoughts:

Is there shame, or should there be in not joining? No, not IMHO. But will there be regret later on? (i.e relationship collapses, things go to crap in other facets of your life for whatever reason, financial issues, etc. etc. etc., the things that life tends to throw one's way sometimes and what could have been the one stable thing in your life, CAF, you walked away from before you even tried.) Quite possibly.

As I read through your post, one thing stood out to me the most. You're comfortable. You like how everything is right now. And that's totally okay--nothing wrong with that at all. Joining will violently throw you OUT of your comfort zone. No doubt. But you know what? That's okay too--and I personally encourage it, at any age. That's how one grows. That's just me though. My life has been uncomfortable for almost 40yrs. Moved around a lot as a kid, tumultuous family life, a relatively colourful past, travelled a lot, had 16 different jobs (last time I checked) since the age of 16, started living on my own at 17, etc. etc, etc. My employment/CAF is the one steady thing I've had in my life. It's been rough, yes, but that's generally how it goes in the first while anyway, from my understanding.

If you make the decision not to go for it, that's okay. Life is all about decisions and the type of life we end up providing for ourselves is because of those decisions. But don't NOT join out of fear of the unknown. I'm a firm believer in doing something because it scares you.

I applied in 2013, I didn’t pursue it further because of a job opportunity. I later made my own business from that job experience.
I later grew to hate that line of work.
I then regretted not joining when I did. Imagine where I’d be at this time? I’d be done my training and already be posted doing pretty cool stuff perhaps.

I can’t go back in time. Instead, I reapplied and now I’m back into the process.
I’m not changing my mind again.

I hate civilian life.
It’s not for me. I want the structure, security and discipline that army will give.
That’s me though.

Primus said:
I hate civilian life.
It’s not for me. I want the structure, security and discipline that army will give.
That’s me though.

Some people may enjoy the combination of civilian life, and the Reserves. I know I did.

Q.Lamb said:
I can work for the next 10 months and go to college (already a spot made for me in September 2018) for heavy duty diesel mechanics (would be vehicle tech in military).

I was in a PRes Service Battalion, and got to know our Vehicle Techs. I also knew our Emergency Vehicle Technicians ( they worked on heavy trucks and buses ) at my civilian workplace. 
Different employers. Both had "structure, security and discipline".

Just to put it in perspective from my point of view...I joined at 18 after a year of University.

Before the age of 30 I had done more cool things, visited a ton of places all over the world (and not just shittty army places) that i had never thought id see.

Ive got good friends all over the country and a ton of great memories. Now I am married with kids and very happy.

None of what I have done would have been possible had I not joined. The military opened up the world for me....it doesnt close everything up.

But thats me, you have to do what you want....reapplying is always an option. Releasing is an option too. This life isnt for everyone. Make a choice but remember you can change your mind...its ok.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'll give you advice from a different perspective. My husband left for basic 3 months after we were married. We talked it through and the biggest things for me was that I didn't want him to have that "what if" and decide to join once we had kids and an established house hold.  He was away for most of the first year of our marriage but he's been all over the world and had so many experiences ( most of them positive). 
5 years is nothing. The military is great on your resume afterwards. Most jobs have civilian trades that are comparable if you want to get out after and finally at 19 it's not easy to get a well paying job with excellent benefits.
If your girlfriend loves you then she will be there for you. My relationship with my husband is stronger because we know not to take for granted the time We have together. Whether that's just the occasional weekend or you get a whole year of 8-4.
Good luck with your choice.

Feel free to message me if your girlfriend has any questions about the military family life.

Back