• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Medical Questions [Merged]

JSoff

Subscriber
Reaction score
I am not scheduled for one yet but I had some questions in which I hope to be answered before getting scheduled.
Some of the questions may have been answered before but the answers are either very misleading, or they aren't very definitive. 

I know what generally goes on for the Medical - Like Hearing tests, eye sight, etc. But that's all that is really outlined.

First off: I have read you had to do a "Duck Walk" and if so what is it? and is there a requirement in order to pass the Medical?
Next: Are you required to do any push ups and or sit ups during the medical? If so how many of each are you expected to do if there is a requirement in order to pass the medical?

Thank you for the time and I apologize if some of this has been answered I used google search VIA site:army.ca | army.ca:site but I was unable to actually find a real definitive answer.

AlphaBravo said:
I am not scheduled for one yet but I had some questions in which I hope to be answered before getting scheduled.
Some of the questions may have been answered before but the answers are either very misleading, or they aren't very definitive. 

I know what generally goes on for the Medical - Like Hearing tests, eye sight, etc. But that's all that is really outlined.

First off: I have read you had to do a "Duck Walk" and if so what is it? and is there a requirement in order to pass the Medical?
Next: Are you required to do any push ups and or sit ups during the medical? If so how many of each are you expected to do if there is a requirement in order to pass the medical?

Thank you for the time and I apologize if some of this has been answered I used google search VIA site:army.ca | army.ca:site but I was unable to actually find a real definitive answer.

What they did for me was they went over paperwork that you have to read over and sign. Then they'll go down a list of health problems and you tell them if you have one of them. They'll also ask for some of your families history as well. Then they do a hearing, colour, and vision test, followed by vital signs. After that, they do a full body work up which checks things like range of motion with limbs, heart sounds, breathing, all that fun jazz. They'll check to see if your joints make a crack or pop sound, though they don't count it against you much.

After all that is done. They'll sit your down and go over yours and your families health history again to make sure it's all good. Be sure you tell them everything, and be honest. If you had ear tubes in at age 6.. they'll want to know. Also they go over your substance abuse sheet. The med tech I got was pretty good and hilarious when he went over mine. I put down 6-8 beers a month. He looked at me and was like "6-8? you sure?" I was like "that's beers only right" him "you sure?" me "ok 6-10" him "i'm just going to put down... 10-12 for you" we both laughed.

A little tip for the vitals, if your BP is over 140 they'll either do another one or ask you to go to a doctor. If it is, explain that you're nervous. For me I was 150/80, but I was pretty excited to be there lol.... so he let me take a nap for 20 minutes and I had a normal BP after.

AlphaBravo said:
Ahh yes, the infamous "duck walk". This procedure is used to examine potential knee problems, specifically, meniscal cartilage tears as well as knee stability. It is not used routinely.

And it's a medical examination, not a PT test, so no pushups or sit-ups. Good luck.

ArmyDoc said:
Ahh yes, the infamous "duck walk". This procedure is used to examine potential knee problems, specifically, meniscal cartilage tears as well as knee stability. It is not used routinely.

And it's a medical examination, not a PT test, so no pushups or sit-ups. Good luck.

Depends who's doing the exam - I'd routinely get the applicants to the duck walk and about 5 pushups.  These exercises show strength and flexibility of the joints and major muscle groups...and save a pile of time doing the physical exam.  While it's not a PT test, it's a valid way of doing parts of the muscoskeletal exam.  I seem to recall there is actually a thread somewhere relaying this same info.

Here's the link - http://army.ca/forums/threads/113731.0

MM

Edited to add link

Apologies if I sound blunt, but if doing a duck walk across a room the size of a jail cell and doing a few pushups has your feathers ruffled, I'd have to guess that you've got a few other issues to worry about... :2c:. 

MM

medicineman said:
Apologies if I sound blunt, but if doing a duck walk across a room the size of a jail cell and doing a few pushups has your feathers ruffled, I'd have to guess that you've got a few other issues to worry about... :2c:. 

MM

Haha how are my feathers ruffled? I just was curious as to what you had to do.....

I have been on a workout regiment since I applied last year, if I couldn't do a couple of push ups that'd just be embarrassing. (The workout regiment has and still includes of push ups).

I apologize this is for sure a highjack, but this thread is medical questions and some senior army docs are here so I thought I'd ask.

Last February(14th, 2013) I had my labrum reconstructed after what the doctor described as wear and tear from football. Long story short, had it fixed rehabed it and now I'm back feeling comfortable with my shoulder. I know the medical requires you to disclose previous injury, and I'm assuming I'll need a doctor/physiotherapist/surgeon to sign something. Is there any other problems my surgery could cause in the grand scheme of my application/medical.

Thanks for the answers, and sorry AB for the highjack.

AB - sounded a bit like you were actually worried about these tests, hence why I thought your feathers were ruffled.

KB - You'll likely need some stuff from your surgeon and physioterrorist regarding your shoulder.  As for likelihood of problems, that will depend on the info from those people and how well you're actually doing.

MM

medicineman said:
AB - sounded a bit like you were actually worried about these tests, hence why I thought your feathers were ruffled.

KB - You'll likely need some stuff from your surgeon and physioterrorist regarding your shoulder.  As for likelihood of problems, that will depend on the info from those people and how well you're actually doing.

MM

Ahh well I didn't mean for it to come off like that. Not worried just curious.

Hello, I know none of you can directly give me answers and I'm not asking for them, I just want opinions I guess.

So I'm being checked out by the RMO currently for some mental health stuff. IMO it's extremely minor, "Situational stress" as a 16-year-old. 6ish months counseling, zero suicide risk/threats, no follow up, no meds, no harm to others and a low chance of reoccurrence.

In your opinion, what are the chances of this biting me in the ass? You're all members or ex-members of the CF and I want to know that if in your opinions this would harm my ability to perform my duties as a member of the armed forces.

Comprehensiveinsect said:
Hello, I know none of you can directly give me answers and I'm not asking for them, I just want opinions I guess.

So I'm being checked out by the RMO currently for some mental health stuff. IMO it's extremely minor, "Situational stress" as a 16-year-old. 6ish months counseling, zero suicide risk/threats, no follow up, no meds, no harm to others and a low chance of reoccurrence.

In your opinion, what are the chances of this biting me in the ass? You're all members or ex-members of the CF and I want to know that if in your opinions this would harm my ability to perform my duties as a member of the armed forces.

Well, many of the site users are, not all...

Anyway, unfortunately our opinions are of little consequence. Opinions on various applicant’s medical issues will vary. My own experience, however, is that the military sometimes has a way of reigniting mental health issues, even if minute and they haven’t caused any problems in many years. But everyone handles stress and things very differently. If successfully enrolled, you might be absolutely fine and have no reoccurring issues. And some people who’ve never had any MH difficulties may develop them.

The search on this site sucks and i couldn't find any or current topics on all of this. Hope this post is okay.
I live in Ontario and have been looking to join Army Reserves, ideally infantry. I am 24, 5'11, 140lbs and have mild varicose veins, mild raynauds in my hands, and mild anxiety. If they're mild issues and I am given warm/proper gear none should create an issue that would stop me in any environment. Are people always disqualified for these types of issues or is it done in a case by case basis and worth going through the process of trying? I could call a recruiting office but non bias and similar experiences are ideal. Thanks!

ktaylor said:
, and mild anxiety.

Anxiety/OCD/meds (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13409.200
11 pages.

ktaylor said:
have mild varicose veins,

Varicose Veins 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97104.0

As always, medical decisions are made by the Recruiting Medical Officer ( RMO )>

Why not leave them up in case other applicants with similar concerns want to know?

I did my medical exam and these were the results:

- Need visual acuity check
- Redo blood pressure
- Bloodwork

My blood pressure was high that day due to nervousness. Redid it at my family doctors and it was fine.

Vision was fine.

Bloodwork was fine except one issue,  my thyroid was found to be slightly low. I don't have any symptoms, it was a surprise to me, never heard of this before. But my doctor wanted me to do a daily med at the lowest possible dose just to kind of make it so she can write it off as "assessed and stable" instead of it being a factor. To be honest I can't even tell I'm on this med I feel the same.

But someone at the recruitment office told me entry standards are stricter than the health standards matrix posted online.

I know a person from work who's on ADHD meds and he was denied. We thought it was because it's ADHD, but he said the explanation he received is that it was because he's on a "daily med".

So daily meds of any kind = unfit for BMQ?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s more a question of whether the daily medication makes you unfit for service. If you don’t take the medication, will your life be in danger? Will someone else’s? That will have to be assessed by the recruiting medical officer for a decision. 

Is the medical test for reservist different from the Reg force? At the medical they checked my joints but there was no blood test, urine test, no questions on family history and they didn't do a prostate exam or asked me to take my clothes off to check for any unusual marks or somethings.

Back