• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Navy life

The exercise piece is particularly interesting for me, having been infantry and spending two hours a day, everyday, working out for a better part of my career.

That being said, I've been adapting my workouts lately to suit a more 'austere' style of fitness training.  Do the majority of my training using gymnastics rings now and they can be hung almost anywhere.  All I need is a pull up bar and things are G2G.

Looking forward to switching my uniform in the next few weeks.  ;D

Humphrey Bogart said:
The exercise piece is particularly interesting for me, having been infantry and spending two hours a day, everyday, working out for a better part of my career.

That being said, I've been adapting my workouts lately to suit a more 'austere' style of fitness training.  Do the majority of my training using gymnastics rings now and they can be hung almost anywhere.  All I need is a pull up bar and things are G2G.

What are you remustering to?

Humphrey Bogart said:

On my last ship we had bouldering rocks hanging from strings attached to the rafters in the Operations Room. My team and I would have competitions at 3am (f***ing back watches..) to see who could do the most pull-ups.  It was especially fun with the ship rocking back and fourth. One pull up would be really easy, the next would be REALLY hard.

Humphrey Bogart said:

Fitness on board ship requires a certain level of creativity.  All the CPFs I have been on had a small gym near loan clothing in the after end of the ship.  But when I say small I mean it.  It would be the size of a small bedroom in and apartment.  As well there are usually a couple of stationary bikes, treadmills and/or rowing machines scattered in random spaces on board.

Having said that I have seen our culture changing.  We now take PSP pers with us on deployments and they run a pretty solid fitness routine which runs multiple times a day around the ships watch system.  Also, in Halifax anyways, the Admiral is addicted to fleet runs in the summer and they seem to happen 2 X a month.

Along side home port you have full access to the base facilities, at the whim of your CoC during working hours of course.  In any NATO Naval base we usually have access to their rec and fitness facilities as well, Norfolk's gym is amazing.

jollyjacktar said:
What are you remustering to?

Naval Warfare Officer, accepted my offer a couple of weeks ago  ;D

People asked me if I enjoyed punishment?  I said yes  ;D

Lumber said:
On my last ship we had bouldering rocks hanging from strings attached to the rafters in the Operations Room. My team and I would have competitions at 3am (f***ing back watches..) to see who could do the most pull-ups.  It was especially fun with the ship rocking back and fourth. One pull up would be really easy, the next would be REALLY hard.

You can actually do almost a full body workout with things like this. 

I own a set of these and bring them usually everywhere I go:

images

I can use trees, bars, carabiners and hooks as attachments and make gravity my enemy  ;D

Halifax Tar said:
Fitness on board ship requires a certain level of creativity.  All the CPFs I have been on had a small gym near loan clothing in the after end of the ship.  But when I say small I mean it.  It would be the size of a small bedroom in and apartment.  As well there are usually a couple of stationary bikes, treadmills and/or rowing machines scattered in random spaces on board.

Having said that I have seen our culture changing.  We now take PSP pers with us on deployments and they run a pretty solid fitness routine which runs multiple times a day around the ships watch system.  Also, in Halifax anyways, the Admiral is addicted to fleet runs in the summer and they seem to happen 2 X a month.

Along side home port you have full access to the base facilities, at the whim of your CoC during working hours of course.  In any NATO Naval base we usually have access to their rec and fitness facilities as well, Norfolk's gym is amazing.

My buddy took me for a tour of the Calgary, I saw where they shoved the treadmills, ellipticals, etc  ;D

If your a tight head prop like me I find the using the rowing machine is hell on my elbows lol I keep smashing them into either a fire extinguisher or the forward switchboard lol

Humphrey Bogart said:
Naval Warfare Officer, accepted my offer a couple of weeks ago  ;D

People asked me if I enjoyed punishment?  I said yes  ;D

I don't know why, but l have visions of the TechnoViking dancing video in my head now.  Thanks for that...

Back