• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gerber or knife? or both?

Originally posted by AlphaCharlie:
[qb] This is so dumb. I went to the house of knives today at the mall and he‘s like "sorry! you‘re not 18. you can‘t even look at a knife!"

BAH! I think I should be allowed. They give me a rifle but I can‘t buy a knife. :-\ [/qb]
order it. im 16 and look at the knife im getting in my above post

I simply use the Gerber And a Rapala Hunting Knife for an Tasks that may Arise Neither is Over Kill .. If the Situation Arises I have a Seat belt Cutter But ive yet to use it None of the 3 Blades exceeds 5 inches and No Look Cool there All out of Site

As for the Hole Fighting Knife Issue I See Zero Point in Carrying Some Massive Eff off Knife When the Worst thing your Doing is Paracord Or C4

Trp.Orange & Ghost778
I live about 5 min from where they make the Grohman knives. I‘m pretty sure they sharpen for free...back to a factory spec. Excellent knives. I can find out if you want???Happy to assist.

Can you bring a knife from home? Because I know a blacksmith down the road that has made some pretty good blades.

I bought a SOG Seal Pup. 4 3/4" blade. Perfect for field use. I couldn‘t be happier.

i have the seal pup as well. i think its a bit big, but buying a folding knife defeats the purpose of buying a non-issue (ie: gerber folding knife). fixed blades are just handy.

You have to really consider what you are going to use the knife for.  Most "Combat" blades will never see the type of action their name implies.  When I was in, I started by having a KaBar on my webbing.  Thatthen changed to a Cold Steel SRK.  Both excellent knives, but NEVER used to the potential that they were designed for.  I eventually went to the Grohmann issue Jump Knife.  The sheath is about the most secure you will ever find.  Absolutely excellent knife, but yes, it does need re-sharpening now and then.  I'm at a loss as to why an SM would tell you to hide a piece of equipment that is CF issue.  The most common use that any of my field knives ever saw was cutting open IMP's, food prep, etc.  A knife bigger than the Jump knife simply isn't practical.

Having said that, I still to this day have a KaBar that carry in my pack, just in case.  :cdn:

Personally, I hate multitools. I have accually bent one with my bare hands.......that is not quality. I also find that the only thing I ever use is the pliers....so why not just get a $15 plier? I like single blade folders. I have just ordered an Emerson Utcom....yes I know very expensive.....but has quality., and a life time warranty. I have heard that they will replace any broken parts for next to nothing....that is if it breaks. Another knife I reccommend id a Smith and Wesson Cuttin' Horse.....I picked one up for $20, it was originally priced at $80. It is about 4 inches long, has serrations and is very pointy.

I have a USMC combat knife made by Ontario Knive Company, I mostly use it up north when I am building shelters or fires, (and other survival related things), and sometimes at home.

I still think that big fixed blades around 6 or 7 inches is usefull in some cases, but hey this is just my opinion!!! ;D

If you want a really bad-arse knife, talk to your QM, and get your hands on one of the issue machetes... I'll never forget the first time I actually got to use one of them... I quickly traded it off for an axe, and fell a large portion of surrounding forest... but the point is the machete was still pretty cool...

I've had a Cold Steel Recon 1 folder for a few years now... the best knife I've ever owned, and it's with me almost everywhere I go, in uniform or out. A wee bit on the large size for an every-day carry knife, but I don't even notice it when it's clipped into my combat pant's front pocket. Here's why I like it:

1. Sharp as hell, retains an edge. The serations eat through anything...
2. Opens instantly with one hand.
3. Black teflon coating is bulletproof.
4. Ultralock mechanism is rock-solid.
5. Durable! Use it for everything, clearing fields of fire etc...
6. Quality for price is high, not cheap, but not insane like some other folders

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

Quality CF issue kit?

C-7 Bayonet? Meh. If you N/S it in the field, you can exchange it with the QM.

The issue Gerber-Multi-Tool? Meh. If you N/S it in the field, you can exchange it at the QM/clothing stores.

If you really want to spend your money on steel, and you really want a piece of field kit to practice your Iaido, my nomination is for the SOG Pentagon.

http://www.sogknives.com/fipent.htm

My vote is for Cold Steel.  Not overly pricey, but a great quality tool.  Emerson makes some excellent products as well, but I find them too rich for my blood, plus I don't think I would want to do regular field chores with a $400 knife.  For folders, tanto point is awesome, for fixed blades I like a bit of a recurve.

My Cold Steel has a Tanto point, very strong and can take abuse!

Back