• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Germany begs Canada to continue

Flip said:
... Germany was supposed to train a police force...

- Right.  Pashtuns in fedoras and full-length leather greatcoats asking goatherders for their papers...

;D

TCBF said:
- Right.  Pashtuns in fedoras and full-length leather greatcoats asking goatherders for their papers...

;D
Actually, I was thinking of the green-leather clad Bullen simply wielding truncheons on the poor herders as the Polizei drive by on their BMW motorcycles.

Captain Sensible said:
... BMW motorcycles.
No. This is more appropriate:
- http://www.car.ee/galleries/techart-porsche-polizei/ee/ ;D
(BTW: Our police is in the process of changing there color from green back to blue.)

SCNR,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
No. This is more appropriate:
- http://www.car.ee/galleries/techart-porsche-polizei/ee/ ;D
(BTW: Our police is in the process of changing there color from green back to blue.)

SCNR,
ironduke57

Now you've gone and done it! Zipperhead cop is going to be wanting one of those now!! ;D

ironduke57 said:

SCNR,
ironduke57

- Uniforms too?  I bet they won't miss those yellow shirts!

TCBF said:
- Uniforms too?  ...

Yes, completely. But it will take some time. Some part´s plan to start the change in 2011 and later. Other´s have already finished the change.(Example from Hamburg(left old, right new): (edit:)See Attachment)

Regards,
ironduke57

I don't mean to be rude....but the new uniform on the right just makes me think .... :eek: "bus driver"

Genetk44 said:
I don't mean to be rude....but the new uniform on the right just makes me think .... :eek: "bus driver"
You wouldn't think that if one had you down in a choke-hold with his truncheon.  Die Polizei were never known for their tender graces.

Captain Sensible said:
You wouldn't think that if one had you down in a choke-hold with his truncheon.  Die Polizei were never known for their tender graces.
Sound´s like you have some experience in this. ;D

SCNR,
ironduke57

Die Polizei certainly knows how to get your total and undivided attention..... or else!

The Canadian military needs to keep its presence in Kandahar. Though the Germans need to step up there game in Afghanistan.

No they don't - I will say it again:

WE GOT STUCK IN KANDAHAR BECAUSE WE COULD NOT MAKE UP OUR MINDS!

We dithered while other countries picked their missions - we got what was left.

Our fault - not NATO's.

Perhaps they are laughing at the irony of this happening after we did not pull our weight on the Central Front since 1970.

TCBF said:
No they don't - I will say it again:

WE GOT STUCK IN KANDAHAR BECAUSE WE COULD NOT MAKE UP OUR MINDS!

We dithered while other countries picked their missions - we got what was left.

Our fault - not NATO's.

Perhaps they are laughing at the irony of this happening after we did not pull our weight on the Central Front since 1970.

That's only partially correct.  We got stuck with the PRT in Kandahar because we dithered.  We decided to go heavy in the province afterwards - a Canadian decision.

The Germans do need to step up - they've contributed nothing substantial to the real effort thus far, as many, many posts on this forum indicate.  My distain for them knows no bounds.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
That's only partially correct.  We got stuck with the PRT in Kandahar because we dithered.  We decided to go heavy in the province afterwards - a Canadian decision.

- The above is a much more accurate statement than mine.
:-[

Teddy Ruxpin said:
The Germans do need to step up - they've contributed nothing substantial to the real effort thus far, as many, many posts on this forum indicate.  My distain for them knows no bounds.

- I modestly disagree. We drove NATO nuts for years by nickle and diming our "forward deployed" forces in Europe.  Now that they use the same arguments, not much we should say. 

TCBF said:
- I modestly disagree. We drove NATO nuts for years by nickle and diming our "forward deployed" forces in Europe.  Now that they use the same arguments, not much we should say. 

Yes, but there's a difference.  Without diminishing what happened during the Cold War, Afghanistan is currently where the rubber meets the road and where NATO is engaged in a shooting war.  There's a difference between making a political decision that there wasn't a significant enough of a Soviet threat to forward deploy Canadian troops in large numbers, and failing to step up when the Alliance is engaged in combat operations and when Allies are paying the price.  Had the Soviets come across the Czech border, would we have pulled the brigade back to France and awaited events?

Elsewhere on this site (I'm far too lazy this morning to find it) are Der Spiegal articles detailing German obfuscation, vacillation, and inactivity in theatre: the "glee" at avoiding a southern deployment; the manoeuvring to avoid even a modicum of involvement in Kandahar; the criminal inactivity in the North - on and on. 

Sadly, IMHO (and I can quote example after example from time on operations), the German Army of today is not the West German Army of the Cold War, nor is their political leadership.  Compared to Canada, they still have enormous resources, yet have failed miserably to step up.

Compared to Canada, they still have enormous resources, yet have failed miserably to step up.

The real tragedy is the political failure of NATO.  Europeans won't step up
if all we can talk about in the press is stepping down.  The Canadian mission
could actually fail because of a lack of information getting to the voting public.
The NATO mission could fail if Canada makes the wrong example in stepping out.
This would be a most unfortunate way for Canada to show leadership.

A shoe was lost for want of a nail........?

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Sadly, IMHO (and I can quote example after example from time on operations), the German Army of today is not the West German Army of the Cold War, nor is their political leadership. 

- Interesting.  One wonders if the absorbtion of 21,000,000 "Ossies" in the former DDR has watered down the national character a bit.  Many of their dominant political players today are "from the East".

TCBF said:
- Interesting.  One wonders if the absorbtion of 21,000,000 "Ossies" in the former DDR has watered down the national character a bit.  Many of their dominant political players today are "from the East".

Precisely what I had a senior German officer tell me...  It sounds plausible.  There were plenty of Russian-speakers and Croatians with the Battle Group during my time with them too.

Back