• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Payette resigns 21 Jan 2021

Personally, I could care less about Payette and her gong. It's meaningless when in company of people like Justine Bieber, or used for political favouring. I look at this much as I view the OMM. Most are deserved, but many have been handed out to some of the most incorrigible assholes in this country. I judge people by what I see and hear, not by what they wear on their chest. Let her keep her bling. The faster she is out of the news cycle and forgotten, the better.
Dude, you realize Justin Bieber is not a recipient of the Order of Canada, right? What ever you think about "gimme" medals like the QDJM, we should be holding OMM/Order of Canada holders to a higher standard which is why there's non-partisan standards boards who review things like this.

Dude, you realize Justin Bieber is not a recipient of the Order of Canada, right? What ever you think about "gimme" medals like the QDJM, we should be holding OMM/Order of Canada holders to a higher standard which is why there's non-partisan standards boards who review things like this.
(And Bieber’s QDJM was given by Harper)

You're right. It was the Jubilee medal. And you're also right that recipients should be held to a higher standard, but we fail that on a pretty regular basis. I view it as the person makes the decoration. The decoration does not make the person. I'll likely get heat from someone about this, but Vance is a perfect example. I think he should lose his CMM for all the damage he's done to the CAF and its personnel. And his MSC should get a serious look also.

(And Bieber’s QDJM was given by Harper)
So what? Everyone's upset with Bieber for what he wore to get the medal. Here's a list of actually controversial awards of the QDJM:

Controversial Canadians Honoured

When you let politicians do things, they do it for political purposes. Thank God the political creep for awards hasn't hit the Order of Canada yet....

It's meaningless when in company of people like Justine Bieber, or used for political favouring.
Well, if you say that medals are used for political flavouring and the Conservative government gave one to Justin Bieber, given your political beliefs, I am not sure what you are arguing. Bieber isn’t exactly known to support right wing governments.

Well, if you say that medals are used for political flavouring and the Conservative government gave one to Justin Bieber, given your political beliefs, I am not sure what you are arguing.
Likewise. What was your point? Just throwing cheap digs around trying to get me going? You failed that serial miserably.

I don't think that this meets the threshold to have the order taken away. All of the others who have had theirs taken away where involved in some type of criminal activity. The issue with moving the goal posts on this is that it's hard to stop moving them, and all of a sudden we start to see people striped of it left, right, and centre for issues that most people don't have a problem with.

I don't think that this meets the threshold to have the order taken away. All of the others who have had theirs taken away where involved in some type of criminal activity. The issue with moving the goal posts on this is that it's hard to stop moving them, and all of a sudden we start to see people striped of it left, right, and centre for issues that most people don't have a problem with.
Right. She is, by many accounts, a pretty terrible person in terms of how she treats subordinates. But, when we as a species found a way to place her as physically remote as possible from the rest of humanity, she did some pretty good stuff that brought honour to Canada.

Why not?

We seem to be living in an age of post-hoc enlightenment where we feel quite comfortable tearing down various mementos, and destroying lives and careers, based on applying modern sentiments to past alleged (and in most cases as yet untried and convicted) misdeeds.

It would just be part of the current cancel culture craze for which history is unlikely to judge us favourably as a people.

Steve Carell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

It would just be part of the current cancel culture craze for which history is unlikely to judge us favourably as a people.

Steve Carell Comedy GIF by filmeditor
You are assuming that the leftist elite allow the practice of cancel culture to be included in the history books.

I recall many years ago visiting the US Army Armour and Infantry museums in Ft Knox and Ft Benning. There were gaps in both timelines from 1812 to 1815... move along here.... nothing to see.

Interesting that some get cancelled for the less positive aspects of record than the positives (Sir John A., etc.) yet Payette gets a bye for her record of toxic/destructive conduct.

The Durham District School Board east of Toronto has also publicly considered changing the name of a school named after Payette. Trustees there voted last year in favour of keeping her name on a school in Whitby, writing in a letter to parents it wanted to mark her other achievements.
🤔

Interesting that some get cancelled for the less positive aspects of record than the positives (Sir John A., etc.) yet Payette gets a bye for her record of toxic/destructive conduct.

🤔
Except she did get cancelled.

Back