• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Payette resigns 21 Jan 2021

It will be an aboriginal person.
Highly unlikely. PMO will put a known "known" in the slot, to both stave off any follow on criticism, and to ensure no possibility of erratic behaviour going forward. This is not what they wanted right now.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely. PMO will put a known "known" in the slot, to both stave off any follow on criticism, and to ensure no erratic behaviour going forward. This is not what they wanted right now.
Wayne Gretzky.

Has Canada ever had a Governor-General resign before? I think she is the first.

Has Canada ever had a Governor-General resign before? I think she is the first.
Just watching some political hits on CTV. This is basically unprecedented. There's been GGs step down due to health or gaining other positions but not because of misconduct. She's saved the PM a pretty embarrassing phone call to ask HM to revoke her commission by stepping down and a significant constitutional challenge. Payette has done some huge damage to the credibility of the office and the Monarchy in Canada. Botched a largely ceremonial role...

Given the reality of a minority government nearing the usual point where they dissolve and have another running of the reptiles, there's likely some non-ceremonial work upcoming. Hopefully whoever is appointed enjoys support from the opposition as well to avoid even the perception of bias.

Given the reality of a minority government nearing the usual point where they dissolve and have another running of the reptiles, there's likely some non-ceremonial work upcoming. Hopefully whoever is appointed enjoys support from the opposition as well to avoid even the perception of bias.
I feel that JT probably wants to have one soon to capitalize on what happened in the states an recent events in the CPC.

Highly unlikely. PMO will put a known "known" in the slot, to both stave off any follow on criticism, and to ensure no possibility of erratic behaviour going forward. This is not what they wanted right now.
Plenty of known quantities in that group. Plus he took a lot of flack for missing that opportunity last time.

Just watching some political hits on CTV. This is basically unprecedented. There's been GGs step down due to health or gaining other positions but not because of misconduct. She's saved the PM a pretty embarrassing phone call to ask HM to revoke her commission by stepping down and a significant constitutional challenge. Payette has done some huge damage to the credibility of the office and the Monarchy in Canada. Botched a largely ceremonial role...
Just so long as he/they do it quickly before the chief justice needs to sign off on legislation that he may then need to make a ruling on at a later date.

I’m sure Canada has many highly accomplished indigenous leaders, some of whom could fill the role excellently. I would be surprised if the next GG wasn’t indigenous.

I’m sure Canada has many highly accomplished indigenous leaders, some of whom could fill the role excellently. I would be surprised if the next GG wasn’t indigenous.
I don't think they would like 1 million fellow indigenous Canadians banging on their door demanding to know when they're going to fix the treaty rights issues.
An... interesting... resignation letter. "It's all someone else's fault, but the timing to leave is good for me, so, so long."

Oh, damn. That's a "zero fucks given" resignation letter if I've ever seen one.

You lost me. Are you saying she is being considered for GG? What are you getting at?
No, I was actually being sarcastic about the post above mine, re the resignation letter.

Say it with me folks:

"Jody, Jody, Jody!" :)

Back