• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Spending

Including the cost to airlift an armoured limo, a spare, the State Department's 'war wagon' and lord know what other parts of the entourage. The US doesn't 'do local' for their Head of State.
The difference is that the US Head of State actually heads the State in the real political sense while ours is strictly ceremonial. I don't have any issues with spending money on the actual events facing the target foreign audiences but there is absolutely no need for the GG or their staff to eat meals in Canadian-presence only situations that are worth as much as a typical Canadian family of four pays in groceries for a month. Heaven forbid they should have to choke down the standard airplane food on their way to their destination.

The GG doesn't plan these trips. She is briefed, she attends.

It is her staff who plan, approved by her COS. They are the ones responsible. From the outgoing COS to the new COS: you're going to love travel.

You would think the GG, after becoming aware of the publicity of her and previous GG's travel excesses, would think to tell the COS to tone it down.

The Iceland trip marked the third time Simon travelled abroad since her official appointment to governor general by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in July 2021.

In October 2021, Simon brought along her husband and 31 others for a four-day trip to attend a German bookfair, which cost taxpayers about $700,000.

In March 2022, Simon’s weeklong trip to the Middle East cost taxpayers about $1.3 million.

The GG doesn't plan these trips. She is briefed, she attends.

It is her staff who plan, approved by her COS. They are the ones responsible. From the outgoing COS to the new COS: you're going to love travel.

You would think the GG, after becoming aware of the publicity of her and previous GG's travel excesses, would think to tell the COS to tone it down.
You'd think that - I have an opinion on the GG and the travels they undertake.

They are necessary BUT they should be frugal in their budgeting and spending.

Do they not follow the same rules as the CAF when it comes to contracting out? Three bids etc?

Or is the GG staff not bound by pesky rules for the peasants.....

You'd think that - I have an opinion on the GG and the travels they undertake.

They are necessary BUT they should be frugal in their budgeting and spending.

Do they not follow the same rules as the CAF when it comes to contracting out? Three bids etc?

Or is the GG staff not bound by pesky rules for the peasants.....
IIRC, the GG budget isn't bound by the FAA, so no.

The difference is that the US Head of State actually heads the State in the real political sense while ours is strictly ceremonial. I don't have any issues with spending money on the actual events facing the target foreign audiences but there is absolutely no need for the GG or their staff to eat meals in Canadian-presence only situations that are worth as much as a typical Canadian family of four pays in groceries for a month. Heaven forbid they should have to choke down the standard airplane food on their way to their destination.
Maybe so. When the same person wears both hats, it's probably difficult to separate out the 'state' and 'government' roles.

The vast majority of countries have a separate head of state and head of government; some elected, some appointed, some chosen by the elected. Obviously, their respective roles are informed by their constitution or other foundational legislation, but I suspect their heads of state are largely ceremonial. I wonder if these other countries grizzle about the expense of their representatives.

I think the people appointed to these positions think about themselves a little different than the rest of us. And I also think they’re bright enough to realize that Canadians will moan…and the GG will carry on without consequence

I think the people appointed to these positions think about themselves a little different than the rest of us. And I also think they’re bright enough to realize that Canadians will moan…and the GG will carry on without consequence

She has an example to follow, of course ;)

200.gif

No doubt the adage 'the position changes you' can apply to some degree. I've dealt with a few VIPs; not GG, but a couple of LGs), elected politicians, etc. and a lot of times their more private personae is different that what is publicly seen, and a lot of times it is their handlers ('Klingons'). I met a lot more of them and some of them were truly self absorbed dicks. Their role of protocol, public relations, etc. is their life and, in some cases, lasts only as long as the VIP they work for.

It can take a fair bit of strength and confidence to do battle with them and win, and at some point they just say 'screw it - do whatever'. When we hear about excess or controversy, I'm wondering if it was a battle fought and lost or not fought at all. We didn't here much coming out of David Johnson's tenure, and he had been in a fairly high powered university leadership position so maybe he knew how to massage the established system.

The other angle for Simon might be that her predecessor bucked the system, astonishingly badly, and it didn't end well. They are dumped into a role surrounded by people who have been there longer and it's easier to decide that 'they must know better, two days ago I was an X".

On the other hand, it might simply be that some of them enjoy all the trappings of their role and enjoy soaking it up for their short time there.

This weekend I paid $7 for a glass of OJ and $6 for a cup of coffee at a 3 Star Hotel in Toronto.

We maybe need a little perspective here

I'm terrible with perspectives but the numbers still seem bad optics-wise for the GG.

$71,000 for a limo for 4 days - for what appears to be ferrying her and her team back and forth to a location a 9-minute walk from the hotel.

During the flight, someone spent $974 on a “beef steak bourguignon with mashed potatoes” dish and $313 on “mousse with crumble and strawberry sauce” dessert.

A nearly $1000 steak and mashed potatoes dish on a 5.5 hour flight seems excessive.

I'm terrible with perspectives but the numbers still seem bad optics-wise for the GG.

$71,000 for a limo for 4 days - for what appears to be ferrying her and her team back and forth to a location a 9-minute walk from the hotel.

During the flight, someone spent $974 on a “beef steak bourguignon with mashed potatoes” dish and $313 on “mousse with crumble and strawberry sauce” dessert.

A nearly $1000 steak and mashed potatoes dish on a 5.5 hour flight seems excessive.
Especially when troops deploy to god forsaken areas of the planet and they might get a shitty box lunch.

Solidarity goes a long way WRT leadership. Share in the hardships and don't take from your people. Pretty simple stuff.
Then again, you're asking for leadership from people who essentially aren't leaders. They're aristocrats without title or status, but the same air of entitlement.

AIt makes me thankful that they can no longer buy commissions or commands... as the damage they do in governance is bad enough.

Back