• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good Sports Bras

Springroll

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I did do a search for this and found nothing, so I felt this would be a good topic.

I am looking for a list of really good sports bra's from the experienced women on this forum.
Preferrably the best ones for women with a more ample chest.

Which have you found worked best for support and bounce restriction?
Which did you find were real bad?

The bra should be good for comfort as well.
Nothing worse than having an underwire poking you in the armpit after only a few weeks of wear.

I can't even begin to tell you the brand names of the crappy sports bras that I have purchased only to discard after one or two runs so we won't even go down that road.  Do not waste your money on Running Room, Nike, Adidas or New Balance brands.  I typically love most of their running gear but their bras SUCK!  Also, I would avoid any type of bra that has underwire for running... lifting and separating should be the least of your concerns while running.  A compression style bra is much more practical and comfortable.. despite the fact you end up with what I lovingly refer to as a Uni-boob.  :eek:

I currently swear by Champion Model 1050.  Trust me if you NEED a supportive bra -- and I NEED one --  these are the holy grail.  (When I was actively racing in the days of really crappy sports bras, I had to tape these bad boys down AND wear a sports bra and was still uncomfortable!)  I usually get mine at Cleve's but they are currently out of stock.  They used to have them at the Running Room but they haven't had them the last few times I was in.  Given that they seem to run out of stock frequently in Halifax, I recommend buying several at once and then saving them.  Last time I went on a binge, I spend over $300 and purchased 5 but I still have one in the packaging in my drawer that I am going to break out soon given the fact that I haven't been able to get any locally for ages.

Check out www.sportsbras.ca.  They don't yet have online ordering but you can call/fax your order in and they have great customer service.  They also have instructions for proper fitting (although I highly recommend being fitted professionally because I think most women wear bras that do not fit properly).

Whatever you do, do not scrimp on the purchase price.  You should be prepared to spend between $60 and $100 on a good bra.  Also, never throw it in the dryer.  Always hang it to dry so that you get more life out of it. 

Like sneakers, consider the money spent on a running bra an investment.  It is worth it in the long run...  pun intended!

Thank you so much for that, scoutfinch.

I have also had issues with finding a good sports bra that will keep these "glued" down, thats why I wanted to put it out there for all you ladies to comment. Back when I was running alot, I didn't have much of a chest but now that i am running again, I am having major issues. I have gone through about 7 or 8 different ones hoping that they may do something to help keep them from bouncing, but none of them have helped. I had a fairly good one a couple years ago that I used to wear while nursing. It was comfortable for that sort of work, but for running, forget it!

I am going to check out that website and see what they have.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure it will prove to be beneficial to all the ladies that are looking for a good one.

Thought I should post here as well as I too have an "ample chest". I purchased a new one last weekend at Sportcheck. It is also the brand Champion, and I am thinking it might even be the model 1050. It is also pretty comfortable, for something that squishes the girls anyways. Cost me around $50. I went for my first run with it yesterday and I am very happy to say that for the first time those suckers pretty much stayed in place. I definitely recommend Champion as a brand to look at for those of us who definitely NEED support.

scoutfinch said:
Dyslexics of the World  Untie!
Why is "dyslexic" so hard to spell?
But, in all seriousness, I thank you all for this.  My wife is "restricted" in running etc due to the lack of support that most brassieres offer.  I'll look for Champion for her (Spring is on the way, the weather is getting nicer and it'll be good for us to both go for runs: if for nothing else but to outrun the law) :D

Cheers

Garvin out

Brassiere, vongarvin you dork hehe, get with the times :-* I too have to get a new sports bra for the good old sweater puppies I was blessed with. I will get pea to take me so I can get the good one like her hehe. I have issues with running without decent support and with the nice weather coming its time to get back to making me arse a bit smaller.  >:D

OMG this thread is making my morning.... hahaah

It made me think of this thing my sister sent me once - she says I stole all the "Jugglie" Genes in the family (haah)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/WikiSaurus:breasts

Oprah prefers this one http://www.herroom.com/Enell-Sports-Bra,Ene001-100,4.html

They ship to Canada.

muffin

Enell sports bras are very good.  I find them a bit pricey for what I need.  They can be ordered through www.sportsbras.ca, a Canadian company out of Alberta. 

Enell bras are great for VERY large breasted women.  They come as large as 52DD... or as *small* as 32DD (I simply can't imagine being proportioned like that although I attended nursing school many years ago with a woman that was 34 DDD -- it was almost a disability.)

I agree, Champion makes good ones. I also like the UnderArmour ones, wide straps...comfortable. If you're in the Combat Arms, make sure you take Clothe the Soldier up on their BTU offer..They'll buy you four sports bras of your choice, up to $160.00 value.

Scaddie said:
If you're in the Combat Arms, make sure you take Clothe the Soldier up on their BTU offer..They'll buy you four sports bras of your choice, up to $160.00 value.
It's not just for the Combat Arms.

Excellant... now if Halifax ever gets restocked with Champions 1050, I will get my alloted quota!  Thanks for the advice.

To whom do I direct my claim for re-imbursement?

scoutfinch said:
To whom do I direct my claim for re-imbursement?
In Calgary, the procedure is that you go to the BOR with the receipts.  They will do up the claim paper work.  Then you have to go to Clothing Stores to get your clothing documents annotated.  At that time, you can either then go to the cashier or take the forms back to the BOR for electronic processing.

Well on the topic of needing support...did you know that something like up to 78% of the fibrous supportive tissue in the breasts can damaged by running/bouncing while wearing a bra that does not provide enough support...think I read that in Oxygen...can get the quote if necessary.

I too have the need for lots of support and have tried many sports bras...my fav right now and the one that keeps me bound if you know what I mean is one from MEC called the "Gemini Sport Top" it boasts medium to full support and I get the full support from it...love it.  Makes the difference between a good run and an omg that hurt like heck.

I salute all the well endowed women of the forces, may we all support each other...he he he pardon the pun

HL

Well, to this thread I can offer this:

"Champion" seems to be the most popular sports bra brand of choice for the BTU receipts going through this clothing stores location so they must have something going for them. Some of the ladies have told me that the 2 RCR kit Shop is now carrying some good ones as well.

I have no 'ample' experience to offer in this area however as I put my very own bra on backwards this morning and it actually fit better..now that is the definition of depression.  :mad:

Speaking as a great admirer of breasts, I would say for pure aesthetic value C-D are the best.

But not having to carry them around I'm sure I would change my opinion if I did LOL

ON to another topic though, Taping them down, does it work? I have an Ex that used to tape them together to get really good cleavage in a strapless dress but she said it was murder at the end of the night when she took the dress off (not that I minded I got to work out the discomfort  ;) ) But that is just with a formal night of dinner and dancing (yes that would be ball room like dancing and no I wont get into if I can dance like that or not) I cannot imagine running 5+ Km with them like that.

HitorMiss said:
Speaking as a great admirer of breasts, I would say for pure aesthetic value C-D are the best.

But no having to carry them around I'm sure I would change my opinion if I did LOL

ON to another topic though, Taping them down, does it work? I have an Ex that used to tape them together to get really good cleavage in a strapless dress but she said it was murder at the end of the night when she took the dress off (not that I minded I got to work out the discomfort  ;) ) But that is just with a formal night of dinner and dancing (yes that would be ball room like dancing and no I wont get into if I can dance like that or not) I cannot imagine running 5+ Km with them like that.

HAHA. You ballroom dance! Anyways, usually only a smaller chested person needs to tape them to get the desired cleavage. I have a friend who is a B who does it, so yes it does work. I just about die laughing when she has to take the tape off, and I just simply have to remove my bra.   ;D They actually have tape bras made these days that are more skin friendly and do the job. Just thought I should enlighten you.

As to taping them down, it does work. When I lived in my redneck hicktown still and didn't have access to a good sportsbra, I would wear the crappy one and then tape on top of it. It works, but is not comfortable at all.

Taping definitely worked but it was uncomfortable as hell and it was a royal pain to get untaped.  I taped too tightly once which made for difficulties drawing a deep breath (duh!)

Taping for cleavage and taping to minimize bounce are two different processes.  There is a whole lot more tape involved in taping for bounce reduction!  That being said, I would never have to worry about taping to wear a strapless dress.  I count on these bad boys to keep the dress up!

Who knew that posterboy/supermodel could dance too???  Next thing you know he'll be telling us that he can cook and has an appreciation for fine wines! ;)

Back