• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Government finds new ways to screw soldiers in the name of saving money: door-to-door move policy

birdgunnersrule, you got your pet registrations reimbursed!  That's a first!!  During my 3 moves, I was never able to get it, no matter how hard I fought!

Some additional information.  Is it just my imagination, or is this just an attempt at positive spin to counteract the *#$@ sandwich at para 4?

------------------------------------------

UNCLAS CANFORGEN 066/09 CMP 029/09
SIC WAB
SUBJ: CANADIAN FORCES INTEGRATED RELOCATION PROGRAM (CFIRP) 2009
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO INFORM ALL CF MEMBERS,
ESPECIALLY THE VERY SUBSTANTIAL NUMBER OF THEM WHO WILL BE RELOCATED
BY ACTIVE POSTING SEASON 09 (APS 09), AND THEREBY PARTICIPATE IN THE
CANADIAN FORCES INTEGRATED RELOCATION PROGRAM (CFIRP), OF THE RECENT
CHANGES BROUGHT TO THE PROGRAM. I AM THEREFORE ASKING THAT
COMMANDERS DIRECT THEIR UNITS TO ENSURE THAT THIS MESSAGE RECEIVES
WIDE DISSEMINATION SO THAT THEIR UNIT MEMBERS MAY FAMILIARIZE
THEMSELVES WITH THE CFIRP CHANGES IN ADVANCE OF APS 09
2. ALL ELIGIBLE REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS POSTED WITH A CHANGE OF
STRENGTH (COS)/RELEASE/TRANSFER DATE AND RESERVE FORCE MEMBERS WHOSE
COMMENCEMENT DATE OF PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT IS 1 APR 09 OR LATER WILL
BE ADMINISTERED BY THE CFIRP 09. THERE IS ALSO DIRECTION FROM
TREASURY BOARD WHICH SETS THE ESSENTIALS OF THE RELATED POLICY
FRAMEWORK OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE, THE RCMP AND THE CF. UNDER IT,
MEMBERS WHO HAVE ELECTED THEIR INTENDED PLACE OF RESIDENCE (IPR) AND
REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS WITH A COS/RELEASE DATE/TRANSFER DATE AND
RESERVE MEMBERS WHOSE COMMENCEMENT DATE OF PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT IS
PRIOR TO 1 APR 09 BUT WHO RELOCATE THEIR DEPENDANTS, HOUSEHOLD GOODS
AND EFFECTS (D,HG AND E) AFTER 1 OCT 09, SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE
CFIRP 09
3. FOLLOWING WIDE CONSULTATION, A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF
QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS REGARDING CF RELOCATION POLICY THAT WERE
RAISED DURING APS 08 WAS UNDERTAKEN. I AM PLEASED TO INFORM YOU THAT
SOME 110 AMENDMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE CFIRP FOR APS 09, WITH
MOST BEING IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PROGRAM BY WAY OF ADDITIONAL
FLEXIBILITY AND CHOICE. THOUGH THE PARAGRAPHS BELOW ARE NOT
ALL-INCLUSIVE, THEY PROVIDE AN OVERVIEW OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT
CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS THAT ARE LIKELY TO HAVE THE WIDEST IMPACT:
A. ELIGIBILITY TO RELOCATION UNDER THE CFIRP HAS BEEN AMENDED TO
INCLUDE ALL CF MEMBERS WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO MOVE THEIR (D)HG AND E
AND WHO HAVE COMPLETED BASIC MILITARY TRAINING IN THE CASE OF NON
COMMISSIONED MEMBERS, OR BASIC OFFICER TRAINING IN THE CASE OF
OFFICERS
B. DEPENDANT CARE ASSISTANCE NOW:
(1) INCLUDES THE OPTION FOR REIMBURSEMENT OF RETURN TRANSPORTATION
OF A THIRD PARTY TO THE PLACE OF ORIGIN TO PROVIDE CARE FOR A
DEPENDANT. HOWEVER THE REIMBURSABLE COST CANNOT EXCEED THE COST OF
TRANSPORTATION OF ONE DEPENDANT FROM A PLACE OF ORIGIN TO THAT
DEPENDANT S DESTINATION AND RETURN, AND
(2) MAY BE REIMBURSED AT THE PLACE OF ORIGIN OR AT THE DESTINATION,
AS REQUIRED
C. CF MEMBERS WITH DEPENDANTS, BUT PROCEEDING UNACCOMPANIED TO THEIR
NEW LOCATION WHERE NO GOVERNMENT QUARTERS ARE AVAILABLE, ARE BEING
GIVEN THE OPTION OF TAKING AN UNACCOMPANIED HOUSE HUNTING TRIP (HHT)
SO AS TO SECURE SEMI-PERMANENT ACCOMMODATION
D. IN ORDER TO PROVIDE AN EQUITABLE CUSTOM FUNDING ENVELOPE FOR ALL
IPR MOVES REGARDLESS OF THE DISTANCE OF THE MOVE, THE CUSTOM FUNDING
ENVELOPE WILL NOW BE CALCULATED ON THE BASIS OF 35 PERCENT OF THE
TRANSPORTATION COST AND OF THE COST OF SHIPPING HG AND E FROM
HALIFAX TO VANCOUVER
E. REIMBURSEMENT OF A CAR RENTAL WHEN A PERSONAL MOTOR VEHICLE (PMV)
IS SHIPPED HAS BEEN AMENDED SO AS TO PROVIDE REIMBURSEMENT FOR
ACTUAL AND REASONABLE EXPENSES UNTIL THE PMV IS DELIVERED
F. WHEN THERE IS AN ENTITLEMENT TO SHIP UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE (UAB),
CF MEMBERS NOW MAY CHOOSE HOW THEIR UAB IS SHIPPED TO THEIR NEW
PLACE OF DUTY
G. PROPERTY MANAGEMENT FEES HAVE BEEN DELETED FROM THE CFIRP AS THEY
APPLIED TO CF MEMBERS WHO ELECT TO RECEIVE THE REAL ESTATE INCENTIVE
AND WERE THEREBY DEEMED TO HAVE DISPOSED OR THEIR PRINCIPAL
RESIDENCE. THIS WAS A TAXABLE BENEFIT REIMBURSABLE FROM THE
PERSONALIZED ENVELOPE
H. THE REQUIREMENT FOR CF MEMBERS TO SPEND THE MAJORITY OF THEIR ILM
AND M IN CANADA HAS BEEN DELETED. THIS ALLOWS CF MEMBERS AND THEIR
UNITS OUTSIDE OF CANADA GREATER FLEXIBILITY TO PLAN THEIR RELOCATION
I. GIVEN THAT AIRLINES RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF ACCOMPANIED BAGS TO
WHICH TRAVELLERS ARE ENTITLED WHEN THEY GO TO LOCATIONS OUTSIDE
CANADA, THE CFIRP NOW ALLOWS AS A CORE BENEFIT REIMBURSEMENT OF THE
COST OF TWO ACCOMPANIED BAGS THAT MEET THE WEIGHT AND SIZE
RESTRICTIONS OF AIRLINES
J. AN INCENTIVE TO DISSUADE FROM SHIPPING OR STORING A PMV HAS BEEN
ADDED IN THE CASE OF POSTINGS OUTSIDE CANADA
K. RECOVERY OF RELOCATION BENEFITS FOR RESERVISTS WHO VOLUNTARILY
TERMINATE THEIR EMPLOYMENT AFTER ONE YEAR HAS BEEN DELETED SINCE
RELOCATIONS ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED FOR PERIODS OF EMPLOYMENT OF ONE
YEAR OR MORE
L. THE TIME LIMITATION FOR THE IPR MOVE HAS BEEN REVIEWED. IT WAS
DETERMINED THAT DIRECTOR COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION
(DCBA) CAN ONLY EXERCISE MINISTERIAL AUTHORITY TO EXTEND THE
TWO-YEAR TIME LIMIT FOR ANOTHER YEAR IN CASES WHERE FACTORS NOT IN
THE CONTROL OF CF MEMBERS PREVENT THEM FROM ELECTING THEIR IPR AND
COMPLETING THEIR MOVE TO IPR
4. APART FROM THE PRECEDING, A REDUCTION IN PROGRAM CLIENTELE IS
EXPECTED BECAUSE THE INTENT TO ENSURE THAT CF MEMBERS EFFECT A
DOOR-TO-DOOR MOVE HAS BEEN RE-EMPHASIZED IN RESPONSE TO AN
INCREASING TREND TOWARDS SIGNIFICANTLY EXTENDED AND EXPENSIVE ILM
AND M
5. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS MESSAGE IS NOT, I REPEAT, NOT
ALL-INCLUSIVE. YOU WILL FIND THE COMPLETE CFIRP 09 POLICY ON THE
DCBA WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.CMP-CPM.FORCES.GC.CA/DGCB-DGRAS OR
HTTP://HR.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DGCB/DCBA
6. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Occam said:
.... WITH MOST BEING IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PROGRAM BY WAY OF ADDITIONAL FLEXIBILITY AND CHOICE.

4. APART FROM THE PRECEDING, A REDUCTION IN PROGRAM CLIENTELE IS
EXPECTED BECAUSE THE INTENT TO ENSURE THAT CF MEMBERS EFFECT A
DOOR-TO-DOOR MOVE HAS BEEN RE-EMPHASIZED
IN RESPONSE TO AN
INCREASING TREND TOWARDS SIGNIFICANTLY EXTENDED AND EXPENSIVE ILM
AND M

Perhaps if we had more information on what created this "trend", is it factors normally outside the members' control?  Or is the problem really a reduced profit margin for the contractor?

To all those who can by a house in a week - kudos to you. I solved the problem my own way - PMQ. TB will pay all my costs (the ones i'm entitled to of course) up to two years from my COS date. I get a PMQ, take my time buying (or building) - door to door move is virtually stress free!!

But that's just me.

Having moved last year (and I had 20 days of ILM&M at origin/destination due to non-negotiable closing dates on both ends), I don't really know how everyone is going to do it under the new rules.

Cpl Bloggins goes on his one week HHT.  Finds a nice place on the third day.  Asks for a second viewing to make sure before putting in an offer.  Even if a closing date stipulation (to allow a door-to-door move) is put in the initial offer, that's still a lot of wasted time if the seller comes back with "Sorry, the closing date MUST be 10 days later than you're asking".  With the new rules, you have to abandon efforts to buy that house (unless you're willing to eat the 10 days ILM&M yourself) and start the dancing the dance with another seller.

BinRat55 said:
To all those who can by a house in a week - kudos to you. I solved the problem my own way - PMQ. TB will pay all my costs (the ones i'm entitled to of course) up to two years from my COS date. I get a PMQ, take my time buying (or building) - door to door move is virtually stress free!!

But that's just me.

That would be nice if there were enough PMQ's at every base, but that is not the case.  The waiting list here in Comox is quite lengthy, and I am certain bases located in higher real estate markets also have waiting lists for PMQ's.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that IR postings suck.

Not to mention, if you take a PMQ and then move, the cost of the move itself is on you.

I like para 3.C., although it's too late for me now.  :'(  Otherwise, I was thinking "Say again, all after UNCLAS."  ;D

BinRat55 said:

But that's just me.

Hey BR55 did ya one better owned a mobile home and moved it from base trailer park to base trailer park.  ;D

Baden  Guy said:
Hey BR55 did ya one better owned a mobile home and moved it from base trailer park to base trailer park.  ;D

:-\

Mobile home.........Depreciates.  Possible Damages ( structural ) on move.

House..................Appreciates.  Possibility F&E damaged on move.

Debatable. 

George Wallace said:
:-\

Mobile home.........Depreciates.  Possible Damages ( structural ) on move.

House..................Appreciates.  Possibility F&E damaged on move.

Debatable.

Geez George, talk about ruining a guys day  ;)

Actually I bought the trailer in Bagotville through Canex then moved it to Chatham base trailer park. Sold it for a good price upon getting a transfer to Baden.
Came back from Baden and, after being offered a dump of a PMQ, bought a house in Kingston.
Of course milage varies in each case. I even like Binrat55's idea of taking a Q, if one can be had, and then moving onto the economy. It's a cheap move and a whole lot less stress.

Well.....With the Mobile Home, you do have an instant "Cottage" for the Lake, when you do find a House.

The best advice I got when I left the Reserves for the Regular Force way back when, was from our RSS Sgt who told me to buy a house on every Posting I got, as when it came time to Retire, I would own my home.  I was forced to buy my first home when I got posted from Gagetown to Kingston and there was a two year waiting list for a PMQ, and my posting was for two years.  Nothing makes more sense than getting a PMQ as you are getting Posted Out.

Baden  Guy said:

I have yet to meet a single young lady who would currently be thrilled at the idea of living her next 30 years in a mobile home. I mean, yuck! I wouldn't. For heaven's sakes, we get decent salaries in the CF, use them and buy yourself a nice house... it's an investment!

TimBit said:
I have yet to meet a single young lady who would currently be thrilled at the idea of living her next 30 years in a mobile home. I mean, yuck! I wouldn't. For heaven's sakes, we get decent salaries in the CF, use them and buy yourself a nice house... it's an investment!

On some CF Postings, the PMQs are Mobile Homes.  Not may CFS postings around anymore, but the majority of them were "Temporary Structures".

TimBit said:

You should come to Yellowknife, Mobile homes are the affordable housing and lots of hot girls live in them.

http://www.cb.yk.com/pdf_listings/dmPDF/546rangelakeroad/546rangelakeroad.pdf

Heres a nice one that just sold in the high 200K

Back in May of 05, we sold our 20 ft wide, 3 bdrm 2 bath, mobile in Fort Crack for 345k. Since then it went up to 425k and now it's back down to about 390k.

We sold our 3 bedroom split level house with an acre of land for 48k back here in Newfieland when we moved up there :'( What a difference.....

That policy is awesome. Now if I happen to go and purchase a substandard house primarily because it is the only one with a closing date that would accomodate the travel time and closing date fo the residence I am disposing to ensure a door to door move, I could possibly have reason to claim against the crown the cost of a good lawyer to assist me in my upcoming divorce. (in case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.) So much for encouraging the masses to get out of the Q's.

Heres an idea to chew on...

What if there were provisions in place to help the member out if the place he is purchasing has a closing date of earlier than the place he is disposing. It could be in the crowns interest to pay the small amount of mortgage interest for that month if it ensured a door to door move, thus saving the cost of interim lodging and possible storage fees....Why couldn't this come out of the members "use it or lose it" benefit?
IMHO the 30 day waiver request for a change of report date should include a clause to allow for less than perfect possesion dates.
I wonder when the redresses and calls to the ombudsman will start......... :2c:

Northern Ranger said:
You should come to Yellowknife, Mobile homes are the affordable housing and lots of hot girls live in them.

http://www.cb.yk.com/pdf_listings/dmPDF/546rangelakeroad/546rangelakeroad.pdf

Heres a nice one that just sold in the high 200K

I like the foundation of wood blocks...classy.

Interesting new discovery on this topic today.  DND will not book your pack, load, unload or unpack on weekends.  It seems that if you gut stuck waiting in a hotel because DND just won’t book the movers then you will be paying for those days.

If your pack is booked for a Friday and the loading is booked for Monday, then you will pay for the weekend’s hotel stay & restaurants (even worse if this happens to straddle a long weekend).  If you arrive at your destination on a Friday, you will pay for your meals, hotel stay, and storage for Saturday & Sunday even if your house is ready.

… and there’s more.  You cannot close the sale of your new property before you arrive at destination, and I’ve seen lawyers take to past mid-day to get this done. If you cannot unload on that day because of the closing being later in the day then your core entitlement does not cover that day of hotel, meals & storage.

DND will pay to have your house cleaned prior to your moving-in, but you will pay the costs of hotel, meals & storage for the day they are in the house doing this.

That's neat.

Because CLEARLY if "the Department and it's Agent" have booked my "pack" on a Friday and my "load" on a Monday ... then CLEARLY it is the "Department and it's Agent's" fault that I have no pots to cook with, no beds to sleep on (because they are packed!!) and therefore will be in a hotel precisely BECAUSE of them!

Their fault (ie: IAW their own policy "casued by the Department or it's Agent") = they pay.

Hope they have fun with the grievance they'll be getting from me this APS ...

MCG said:
Interesting new discovery on this topic today.  DND will not book your pack, load, unload or unpack on weekends.  It seems that if you gut stuck waiting in a hotel because DND just won’t book the movers then you will be paying for those days.

If your pack is booked for a Friday and the loading is booked for Monday, then you will pay for the weekend’s hotel stay & restaurants (even worse if this happens to straddle a long weekend).  If you arrive at your destination on a Friday, you will pay for your meals, hotel stay, and storage for Saturday & Sunday even if your house is ready.

… and there’s more.  You cannot close the sale of your new property before you arrive at destination, and I’ve seen lawyers take to past mid-day to get this done. If you cannot unload on that day because of the closing being later in the day then your core entitlement does not cover that day of hotel, meals & storage.

DND will pay to have your house cleaned prior to your moving-in, but you will pay the costs of hotel, meals & storage for the day they are in the house doing this.

Who is the person several curds short of a poutine who came up with this idea?

Back