• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Government to go to common IT systems across all departments

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared from CBC.ca

Federal agency to slash IT costs
By Laura Payton, CBC News
Posted: Aug 4, 2011 11:06 AM ET
Last Updated: Aug 4, 2011 11:43 AM ET

The federal government is setting up a new agency to streamline IT systems in government, Treasury Board President Tony Clement will announce Thursday.

It's part of the government's effort to cut costs and balance the budget by 2014.

Government departments tend to run their own IT programs, so not all of them use the same software.

The agency aims to move to one email system, among other changes, and reduce the government's data network.

Clement and Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose will make the announcement Thursday afternoon in Ottawa.

Clement spoke Thursday morning to a business audience in Halifax, where his prepared remarks referred to using technology to modernize how the government works.

Lower costs, more efficiency

In a speech to top-level public servants in June, he said it was clear more needs to be done to standardize and consolidate across government.

"This brings to mind recent innovations such as shared services arrangements between departments," Clement said in his prepared remarks.

"These arrangements are not only a phenomenal way to pool expertise. They also contribute to lowering costs and making the government even more effective and efficient."

"We'll be taking a look at the operational spending that occurs across government, and asking the hard questions. Should we still be doing this — and doing it in this way? Does this have to be delivered by this organization? Why does it cost as much as it does? Can we find savings? Is it achieving the expected results efficiently? Is this a government priority, and is it affordable during a period of fiscal restraint? Are we achieving value for money?"

All government departments are reviewing their programs to find at least five per cent in cuts as part of the budget-balancing exercise.

It was wounderful changing to the common signature. This change will be another interesting experience.  ::)

Doesn't specifically mention DND... maybe it won't affect us?

luke_l said:
Doesn't specifically mention DND... maybe it won't affect us?

We're the largest federal government department, both in terms of personnel and budget.

Logically, that means that everyone else should be marching to our beat....Windows Server 2003/Windows XP and all. 

No, I'm not serious....I think.

Occam said:
Logically, that means that everyone else should be marching to our beat....
We are not even marching to our own beat where various L1s are pumping their own resources into different IT systems which may not be compatible or supported by the centre.  When this rolls out, there will be some shocks. 

... but, maybe it will allow us to reinvest some manpower that has been tied-up in ADM(IM) as a central government agency takes over the work.

I can't imagine what this is going to do to the timelines for helpdesk service....

The helpless desk you mean. I think the black hole of trouble tickets just got wider.

Tango18A said:
The helpless desk you mean. I think the black hole of trouble tickets just got wider.

What do you mean?  There are only a couple hundred CSNI accounts queued up to be created/reactivated in the NCR.  If you submit your request now, you might get an account in....oh, about three weeks. 

Assuming your DWAN account is up-to-date and we don't have to wait for it to be updated, that is.  ;)

Well, it will make hacking attacks more efficient. :facepalm:

If they go to the Windows solution, we are in big trouble from hackers, and will still have large administrative overhead costs.

If they go to a UUNIX based system like SUN Microsystems Solaris, the network is much more robust, but it will take a fortune to redo all the platforms and train/retrain the cadre of UNIX administrators to run the thing, not to mention the costs of new hardware  (although on the + side the number of helpdesk incidents wil fall).

If they go to LINUX, the costs will be lower (LINUX can be ported across most existing hardware) but the time factor will increase as users/administrators need to be trained.

New office software and databases can be run on all these platforms (OpenOffice is free and the output can be saved in MS Office format if you need to export it to non deparment users, for example). Most of the costs of running a network come down to license fees for the software and the cost of IT admin staff. Retraining users is not too hard; indeed most products can be configured to look and behave like what users are familier with (Windows 7 runs a lot like my MacBook with OSX Leopard  ;)) so there should be little difficulty on that end.

In the end, this is going to be an expensive and time consuming process regardless of which direction they go.

The cost for DND to do anything other than upgrade to the next Windows Server version would be enormous. Not to mention the network downtime. 10s of thousands of accounts would have to be manually ported from Active Directory to Linux/UNIX account control.

It still blows my mind how long it takes to have accounts created. Active Directory makes it so easy to copy a profile over and change a few settings so you get your own email. I'm not a Microsoft fanboy by any means, but its what we have and its pretty easy to use. 3 weeks is just insane with the amount of IT pers that the public service has hired.

PuckChaser said:
The cost for DND to do anything other than upgrade to the next Windows Server version would be enormous. Not to mention the network downtime. 10s of thousands of accounts would have to be manually ported from Active Directory to Linux/UNIX account control.

Agreed.  Changing at this point just isn't an option.

It still blows my mind how long it takes to have accounts created. Active Directory makes it so easy to copy a profile over and change a few settings so you get your own email. I'm not a Microsoft fanboy by any means, but its what we have and its pretty easy to use. 3 weeks is just insane with the amount of IT pers that the public service has hired.

Ummm....Public Service (CS-01, CS-02) doing accounts?  :rofl:

They've loaned us a hand occasionally, but since they're not familiar with the procedures, they make mistakes all over the place, and we spend nearly as much time checking/correcting their work as we do doing our own work.  There are now three military pers doing that job.  One had no IT background whatsoever when he got here two years ago, one is a new Pte who joined us a couple weeks ago but at least knows AD and we've been showing him the ropes, and me.  There are two contractors helping out when they're not doing their own jobs, but again, they don't know the job and need lots of quality checking on their work.  We used to have two full-time contractors in the section, but one got hired as a CS-01 (without a replacement), and the other got a better contract with another section (without replacement).  I've brought up manning problems for the last two years (and have the sent e-mails to prove it), but nobody seems to be listening.

Up until two weeks ago, we couldn't copy user accounts because of the way rights were managed in the OUs.

Add to that the following shenanigans:

- Implementing a new OU structure (with accompanying problems because of "unanticipated" permissions issues for administrators), at the height of the APS.

- Implementing a new policy whereby accounts are to be suspended if they haven't been logged onto for 90 days - and then doing the first run on the script that executes the policy at the height of the APS.  Guess how many thousands of accounts got caught in that one.  We've had dozens of tickets to reactivate accounts caught by the script at the busiest time of year.

- Unit ISSOs who have no idea how their unit's data folder structure is arranged, or how permissions are granted within it.  Half wouldn't know what a security group is if it bit them on the butt.

- if the first line service desk (and you know who they are) doesn't know where to send a particular trouble ticket, they send them to our desk.  I've stopped keeping track of the number of tickets I've bounced back to them because they've screwed something up.  They have a history of hiring people they know, not of hiring people who can actually do the job well.

/rant off

Did I mention I'm retiring in mid to late September?  Without replacement?  ;D

DND's IT support system is in total shambles, and I think you've hit all the major issues, Occam. When my unit transferred to LFCA, my LCIS techs lost power user/account creation permissions. 250 pers moved into an already overburdened "Consolidated Helpdesk". The reasoning? Never got one. Helpdesk in Kingston is manned almost completely by civvies, and they're grossly undermanned to support the infrastructure here, without having to take on responsibility for my unit.

Units with LCIS techs/SigOps/ACISS do-everything-ops should be able to take the load off of the ASGs for simple account creation/email fixes. Let them handle the major work of administering the servers and the infrastructure to support them.

Occam said:
- Implementing a new policy whereby accounts are to be suspended if they haven't been logged onto for 90 days - and then doing the first run on the script that executes the policy at the height of the APS.  Guess how many thousands of accounts got caught in that one.  We've had dozens of tickets to reactivate accounts caught by the script at the busiest time of year.

Guess that explains what happened to my CSNI account  :mad:

I would imagine that treasury board will direct all departments what will be used just as they did with PKI/Entrust, our bilingual signature blocks etc etc.

It's very frustrating hearing the users complain about all the various problems that we on the service desk side of the house deal with on a daily basis, but nobody higher up wants to take any action on it.  I've had my rights pared back gradually over the last year (due to roles taken over by second line).  I still have my E- account for creating EP accounts in an emergency, but second line has re-assumed that role too and I don't expect I would've retained it for long even if I weren't pulling the pin.

CDN Aviator said:
Guess that explains what happened to my CSNI account  :mad:

You, and about 5500 others.  Wasn't my idea.    ???

Navalsnipr said:
I would imagine that treasury board will direct all departments what will be used just as they did with PKI/Entrust, our bilingual signature blocks etc etc.

Were I a betting man (and I'm a betting man), I would bet that DND will not play a part in this new Shared Services Canada organization.  If we do, it would be DWAN only....but I'm betting we won't be joining in at all.  Any takers?

PuckChaser said:
DND's IT support system is in total shambles, and I think you've hit all the major issues, Occam. When my unit transferred to LFCA, my LCIS techs lost power user/account creation permissions. 250 pers moved into an already overburdened "Consolidated Helpdesk". The reasoning? Never got one. Helpdesk in Kingston is manned almost completely by civvies, and they're grossly undermanned to support the infrastructure here, without having to take on responsibility for my unit.

Units with LCIS techs/SigOps/ACISS do-everything-ops should be able to take the load off of the ASGs for simple account creation/email fixes. Let them handle the major work of administering the servers and the infrastructure to support them.

My colleagues and I ended up calling this FIP syndrome. (Fingers In Pie) Syndrome that is.

As a local administrator for my unit, I was able to solve roughly 60% of everyday problems with the permissions brought forward to me (hardware issues, account modification, permission issues, etc).

When Area decided everything would be sent to a Consolidated Help Desk and local administrator rights would be taken away, my standard response became "I will send an email to the ACSD and contact you once the ticket is closed."

We lost the ability to monitor quality of service for unit pers (we don't know if the job was done right until they came back saying it didn't work), we lost brevity and punctuality (5 seconds on AD versus 6 days in Queue), and we lost our tracking ability for historical problems, mostly due to users calling the ACSD directly (if the same computer is screwing up all the time or the user's account is not working properly there's a bigger problem at hand).

A huge backlog all because someone thought there were too many fingers in the pie and removed some of the smaller ones so someone else could shove their fist in. This effect will be amplified even more if we consolidate with other government departments.

He're hoping DND tried to figure out it's own IT network issues before we're thrown into everyone elses.

Maybe they will be going to this :)

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/cloud.html

Top ten advantages of Google's cloud Compared to on-premises, hosted and "software plus services" technologies, Google's multi-tenant, Internet-scale infrastructure offers faster access to innovation, superior reliability and security, and maximum economies of scale.

1. Cloud computing is in Google's DNA
2.Faster access to innovation drives higher productivity
3. Users adopt new functionality with less disruption
4. Employees can be productive from anywhere
5. Google's cloud enables faster collaboration
6. Google's immense security investments help protect customers
7. Less data is stored on vulnerable devices
8. Customers get higher reliability and uptime
9. Google Apps offers extensive flexibility and control
10. Customers spend less through Google's economies of scale

+ You can all move to Android instead of BlackBerry, and the gunners can save money by practising on Angry Birds!

rmc_wannabe said:
My colleagues and I ended up calling this FIP syndrome. (Fingers In Pie) Syndrome that is.

Fingers In Pie Syndrome! Well said, may I use that?

FIPS for short eh? :nod:

We have been moving to an ottawa based helpdesk, which has been more or less useless for most stuff. Citrix is the bane of our existance. There is about 4700 employees in my department, if Citrix issues cause a 15 minute delay in one day (which is not uncommon) then that works out to roughly $47,000 in lost time. When I brought this up at a all staff they looked at me blankly. The concept that these delays have a cost associated with them is lost on our senior managers. Then there is Itravel and RDMINS........

I will take great delight in advising someone who wants an approval for their mutli-million dollar project, that I am unable to finish it as I am number 230 in the helpdesk lineup and my system is on the fritz again and here is the number of the IT manager in Ottawa..... 8)

Back