• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Graduate Studies / Master Degree / PhD [MERGED]

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has attended RMC for graduate studies. I'm most interested in the Master of Public Administration & Master of Business Administration programs, although I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has attended regardless of program. I'm considering applying for the programs above and would welcome information on your experience as a graduate student, whether you found the courses valuable, overall quality of the program you attended, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Although I have not bothered with Graduate Studies after my first Degree, I have taken pity on you and used my Googlefu to merge some topics on "Graduate Studies" for you.

Thank you, I suppose the subject matter is the same, notwithstanding that I am coming from a different approach than those who have posted previously.

To clarify, I am not an ROTP student, and I am not seeking to defer any obligatory service; rather, I am a reservist who has a professional civilian career. If I were to enroll in any further educational programs it would be on my own time and likely on a part-time, distance education basis. Considerations such as obligatory service, unit manning, etc are therefore not relevant considerations.

What I am therefore primarily interested in is the relative quality, or lack thereof, of the MBA/MPA programs themselves. If there are any alumni kicking around, I would appreciate hearing from you here.

Sapper Speedo said:
I am considering the MPA program, anyone here a current student/graduate?

You may, or may not, find this discussion of interest,

MA In War Studies at RMC 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/109189.0/nowap.html
I was wondering if you know anything about the Masters of Public Administration program at RMC.
I am looking into the MPA and the MA in War Studies program at RMC, so any firsthand experiences is greatly appreciated.

Good day all,

When it comes to admissions into Graduate School at RMCC, are officers (reg or pres) given priority over civilians?

Yes.  Military colleges, per the QR&Os and their MOOs, exist to educate military personnel.

"The role of the Canadian Military Colleges is to educate and train cadets and commissioned officers for a career of effective service in the Canadian Forces."

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-queens-regulations-orders-vol-04/appx-06-01.page#app-02-02

Did some searching and didn't find a pointed thread about this so throwing it out there.

I've hit the point in my career where I have to settle down and do a masters degree and my current position is such that I can currently afford the time to do online training without having my work suffer. I've heard about Athabasca, but I'd like to have a place a little recognized when I finally leave the forces for Civi work. Where I'm located DL is the only method of studying at this time, and who knows where I will be posted next year.

Anyone have any good recommendations? As a Log O I'm pretty much stuck on an MBA or MPA I think, but I will be looking at the SCRIT this afternoon to find out.

Thoughts for good online programs? Other degree suggestions welcome!

My wife's recommendation ..... MPA through Athabasca.
And yes she is qualified to make a recommendation.  :D

Edit: This was a recommendation in general for the MPA.
Which it appears is not available at Athabasca. Je suis desole.

Baden Guy said:
My wife's recommendation ..... MPA through Athabaska.
And yes she is qualified to make a recommendation.  :D

I don't think Athabasca U offers a masters of public administration:

http://www.athabascau.ca/programs/program-listings.php?/graduate/master/

NSDreamer said:
Did some searching and didn't find a pointed thread about this so throwing it out there.

I've hit the point in my career where I have to settle down and do a masters degree and my current position is such that I can currently afford the time to do online training without having my work suffer. I've heard about Athabasca, but I'd like to have a place a little recognized when I finally leave the forces for Civi work. Where I'm located DL is the only method of studying at this time, and who knows where I will be posted next year.

Anyone have any good recommendations? As a Log O I'm pretty much stuck on an MBA or MPA I think, but I will be looking at the SCRIT this afternoon to find out.

Don't do an MPA unless you want to pigeon hole yourself into public sector jobs. Public Sector will always hire MBAs, but private sector won't think much of an MPA.

Take a look at the RRU MBA. I've heard good things about the program, and the school is very military friendly for obvious reasons..

Depending on the factors driving the idea of a "masters" ie points on the SCRIT, employment after the CAF, etc, don't discount various other credentials like CPA, CFA, SCM, etc... they are often far better for "distance" learners, offer a specific tangible skill to industry, and depending* on the SCRIT can be worth the same as a Master's.

*I think the Log branch dropped the ball on that one and made professional certifications worth a point less than a Master's while complaining about how they want more CPAs. The Infantry SCRIT, however, treats them both the same. So yeah, it depends on which SCRIT / rank level / etc.

daftandbarmy said:
Take a look at the RRU MBA. I've heard good things about the program, and the school is very military friendly for obvious reasons..

It looks like the 18-month option has about 5 weeks of residential courses spread out into 2 blocks.  Has anyone experienced issues with getting the time off for those, and if so, does RRU allow for taking those courses at another time?

Also, I'm assuming that the RRU MBA would be covered under ILP for serving Reg F folks?

Dimsum said:
It looks like the 18-month option has about 5 weeks of residential courses spread out into 2 blocks.  Has anyone experienced issues with getting the time off for those, and if so, does RRU allow for taking those courses at another time?

Also, I'm assuming that the RRU MBA would be covered under ILP for serving Reg F folks?

Give their 'Military Relations' staff a call. They're very helpful and knowledgeable.

And I know at least three people who have gone through Masters level programs there, who are serving Reg F members, and they had no trouble with the program/residential component.

http://www.royalroads.ca/prospective-students/canadian-armed-forces-and-dnd-students

NSDreamer said:

I just started my MBA through Athabasca and look at a number of options before settling on them.  It came down to ease of access, in-residence requirements and overall timeline.  The application standards for Athabasca are easier than most of the other schools but not by much especially for the pure distance learning Masters programmes.  For in-residence requirements, Athabasca only requires that you do one in-residence crse and it is 5 days and it is delivered in a blended format where you do an online portion for the first 2/3rds of the crse, then 5 days in-residence then finish the crse online.  You can do more but not a requirement.  The thing that pushed them over the edge though was their accelerated entry programme.  If you have a business degree and at least 3 years of management experience you only need 30 additional credits to finish your MBA.  You have four years to finish but most people finish in less than 2 years.
Royal Roads was my 2nd  choice and I have heard great things from friends you have taken crses from there previously.

ballz said:
Depending on the factors driving the idea of a "masters" ie points on the SCRIT, employment after the CAF, etc, don't discount various other credentials like CPA, CFA, SCM, etc... they are often far better for "distance" learners, offer a specific tangible skill to industry, and depending* on the SCRIT can be worth the same as a Master's.

*I think the Log branch dropped the ball on that one and made professional certifications worth a point less than a Master's while complaining about how they want more CPAs. The Infantry SCRIT, however, treats them both the same. So yeah, it depends on which SCRIT / rank level / etc.
I am almost positive for the Capt to Maj Scrit there are zero points for Masters or professional designations and up to two points for Maj – LCol.  I was just comparing them Friday to the RCEME ones but will check again.  For Capt – Maj they use to be there but were removed.  The CM at ones of his brfs a few years ago said that at that rank level they really didn’t want people focusing on Masters as they were fairly useless in terms of utility at that point in their careers.

MJP said:
I am almost positive for the Capt to Maj Scrit there are zero points for Masters or professional designations and up to two points for Maj – LCol.

That's what I'm tracking too, I was referring to the Log Maj - LCol SCRIT because the NSDreamer mentioned they are already a Major.

MJP said:
For Capt – Maj they use to be there but were removed.  The CM at ones of his brfs a few years ago said that at that rank level they really didn’t want people focusing on Masters as they were fairly useless in terms of utility at that point in their careers.

Who knows, I started my CPA to get out of the military, not because of any points on a SCRIT. That line of thinking is underscored by an assumption that they have any utility at any point, but I digress. I hate credentialism but I did find it pretty funny that on paper the Infantry Corps values a CPA more than the Logistics branch.

ballz said:
That's what I'm tracking too, I was referring to the Log Maj - LCol SCRIT because the NSDreamer mentioned they are already a Major.

Who knows, I started my CPA to get out of the military, not because of any points on a SCRIT. That line of thinking is underscored by an assumption that they have any utility at any point, but I digress. I hate credentialism but I did find it pretty funny that on paper the Infantry Corps values a CPA more than the Logistics branch.

I hear ya.  I am an old CFR, MBA is for post military ventures.  I won't drag the threat down a different path but your digression is a good point that should be looked at IMHO.

MJP said:
I just started my MBA through Athabasca and look at a number of options before settling on them.  It came down to ease of access, in-residence requirements and overall timeline...Royal Roads was my 2nd  choice and I have heard great things from friends you have taken crses from there previously.

Dummy question, but for online-heavy MBAs is there a "pecking order" ie. would an MBA from Royal Roads be "better" or more appreciated than one through Athabasca?  Obviously not talking about Harvard, Yale or that level here.

Back