• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grand Strategy for a Divided America

Thucydides said:
Looking at it from a different angle, I see one of the key reasons for the difficulty in defining, articulating and asserting American power and the "culture wars" that are paralyzing American political culture (and ours too, make no mistake) is because we are entering a period of transition. Russel Walter Mead has written extensively about it in Via Media on the collapse of the "Blue Model", and many other writers have taken aim at various aspects of the end of the Progressive model as well.

Since the structures and political systems that have worked since roughly the 1930's are now failing due to financial, political and (i9n some cases) moral bankruptcy and the sources of power, economic growth and even demographic footprint have changed radically, new structures need to be created and implemented in order to carry on the business of governance. Since no one knows which models will be successful, we have a situation where the old guard is fanatically fighting to save their vested interests in the existing systems, while various movements are rising around different organizational, political and economic models.

In terms of "Grand Strategy" this also leads to the conclusion that the defining and exercise of "Grand Strategy" may also change, depending on the dominant political, economic and social model that emerges.

I still think George Freidman's model is a good starting point; all "Grand Strategies" need to begin with the security and preservation of the Homeland, and most "Grand Strategies" then fall out of the specific requirements based on the unique geographical and geopolitical situation the Homeland is embedded in. Robert Kaplan's book "Revenge of Geography" goes into this point in some detail.

If you want a prediction from me; the American Grand Strategy will begin with a realignment and reconstruction of institutions "at home" in response to mounting fiscal pressures, followed by a true pivot from "East-West" to "North-South" as Mexico becomes economically more important, demographically ascendant and exerts more and more influence on her former territories in the American Southwest.

That's a good analysis, Thucydides, and Richard Haass would agree with most of it: reconstruction, as Bank of Canada Governor Poloz puts it, is ongoing but the Americans are behind us; issues (and countries) that actually threaten America matter - and Mexico does, indeed, fall into that category; but that doesn't address how America deals with China and India and Russia and Iran and the Arabs, and, and, and ... and a real grand strategy has to provide a framework for that, too.

Not to say that a US pivot "North-South" would leave the rest of the world out in the cold, but I suspect that the Americans need to focus a lot more on issues closer to home than they are today.

Once again, I look to George Freidman and Robert Kaplan as perhaps the best people to outline the two aspects of the problem:

George Freidman's "The Next 100 years" outlines some of the demographic and political changes that might happen (based around his analysis of what American "Grand Strategy" is) while Kaplan outlines the various geopolitical factors that define and constrain the various nation states and regional actors in the world.

This seems to be a reversion to "'The Geographical Pivot of History"  by Halford Mackinder

Thucydides said:
Not to say that a US pivot "North-South" would leave the rest of the world out in the cold, but I suspect that the Americans need to focus a lot more on issues closer to home than they are today.

Once again, I look to George Freidman and Robert Kaplan as perhaps the best people to outline the two aspects of the problem:

George Freidman's "The Next 100 years" outlines some of the demographic and political changes that might happen (based around his analysis of what American "Grand Strategy" is) while Kaplan outlines the various geopolitical factors that define and constrain the various nation states and regional actors in the world.

This seems to be a reversion to "'The Geographical Pivot of History"  by Halford Mackinder

I think Robert Kaplan makes it pretty clear that he doesn't accept the popularly perceived whole of Mackinder's theory; in fact he suggests that Mackinder might not have believed it, either - just posited it as one possible "outcome." There is no doubt that geography and demographics do matter: there is no solution to the first, but science - everything from the capacity, range and speed of vessels (sea, land, air and space) to how to detect and exploit e.g. oil and minerals - offers ways to mitigate geography's effects, while history and observation tell us that all one needs to do to change population data is raise the standard of living and simple economics tells us how to do that.

And here is another view on Richard Haass' prescription of "America heal thyself," in an article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Atlantic Council's New Atlanticist blog:

http://www.acus.org/new_atlanticist/c-castration?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+new_atlanticist+%28New+Atlanticist%29
C-Castration

Julian Lindley–French

June 21, 2013

Winston Churchill once famously said, “We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, but only after they have exhausted all the other possibilities”.  Sadly, having just arrived in Washington I am not so sure. Dear old Johnny Yank seems to have invented an entirely new form of non-government called ’C-Castration’, or something such.  Now, I thought we British had a particular talent for electing the politically incompetent and willfully  impotent but C-Castration is incompetence bigger and better than anything we have thought up for a while. Whatever happened to government of the people, for the people and by the people?  So, for those of you non-Yanks out there let me try and explain C-Castration.
It seems to involve a lot of American politicians of all persuasions who know they have to make budget cuts (because technically the US is broke) but who do not want to be actually caught in the Act. They are like those ‘perps’ beloved of American cop shows such as CSI who are compelled to return to the scene of their crimes and yet deny any involvement.
The scene of the crime is Congress, hence C-Castration, which on 1 March applied a particularly sharp knife to a particularly sensitive part of the American body politic.  Known as the Budget Castration Act funding was automatically cut to most of the bits of government that made America virile.  However, as neither Democrats nor Republicans could agree just what parts of government are virile it was NOT decided to cut all of it.  Still with me?

So, Congress created a mechanism whereby cuts would happen but for which they would not be responsible.  George Washington must be spinning in his grave.  No wonder we British had to kick Johnny Yank out of the Empire for being silly.  Old George might now understand why in 1812 we had to burn down the White House and the Capitol (and to be honest much of the rest of Washington but the lads got a bit carried away – you know the British squaddy - er, sorry).

However, that is not the funny bit.  Apparently Congress having NOT decided to cut federal spending by $85.4bn in fiscal year 2013 and will continue to NOT decide to cut federal spending by about the same amount until 2021.  However, because of the Harry Potter politics here in Hogwarts, sorry Washington, overall federal outlays will actually INCREASE over the same period by some $238.6bn.  Cutting budgets and increasing expenditure?  It is a 'cunning plan' as Baldrick would say.  George ‘Blackadder’ Osborne, the British Finance Minister, will be over here in a shot when he gets wind of this as it is just the sort of financial alchemy he loves.

Anyway, I digress.  The best bit is that the castration is to be shared ‘equally’ between ‘defense’ (why can’t the Yanks spell) and ‘non-defense’.  In other words for every dollar that Congress has NOT decided to cut in defence it will NOT decide to cut another dollar across the rest of government. 

This also means President Barack Obama gets to talk a lot about shared values and good ideas as he has been doing this week at British taxpayer's expense at the G-Complete Waste of Time and Money. However, because no-one in Congress has NOT cut the federal budget he cannot actually do anything because the amount of US taxpayer’s money ‘invested’ (good one that) in government is  actually going up.  Got it?  Good, because it makes no sense to me.

In fact sequestration is no joke precisely because Washington is bringing America - the most inspirational of political adventures into very deep disrepute.  Sadly, the impact on American leadership is becoming all too apparent.  As America untangles itself from Afghanistan and the fog of Afghan dust clears Washington is beginning to realise the sheer scale and complexity of the challenges this country faces – both at home and abroad.  One can argue about whether facing those challenges demands big or small government. However, at this tipping point in international affairs, in which the world could either go east or west Washington has gone AWOL.

Which brings me to the real tragedy of sequestration.  Americans are constantly and rightly complaining to me about the inability of Europeans to think and act strategically.  And yet what is happening in this town is the very antithesis of responsible strategy or politics. Indeed, it is little politics at its very worst.

At the end of the day the US cannot expect to lead the rest of us abroad when its politicians abrogate leadership and responsibility at home simply to score self-defeating, utterly narrow and strategically pointless own goals (soccer). 

Alfred Lord Tennyson once wrote, “Though much is taken much abides, and though We are not now that strength which in old days Moved heaven and earth; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will, To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.”

The world is changing dangerously and rapidly and we need you America…but not like this.

Julian Lindley-French is a member of the Atlantic Council's Strategic Advisory Group. This essay first appeared on his personal blog, Lindley-French's Blog Blast.

So, it's the "same old same old:" we, the US led West need US leadership but the US is losing the capacity to lead because it has no grand strategic vision and even if it did it hasn't the means to execute it. But, see the Star Spangled Recovery thread - despite yesterday's panic on Wall and bay Streets, Ben Bernanke is right: the American economy is recovering. Not even an institution as deeply flawed as the US Government (Executive and Legislatures) can hold America back.

More from the same source ~ the Atlantic Council ~ this time directly on the point of why America doesn't have, and likely will not have until post 2016, a grand strategy in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the New Atlanticist:

http://www.acus.org/new_atlanticist/nostalgia-not-strategy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+new_atlanticist+%28New+Atlanticist%29
Nostalgia Is Not Strategy

Robert A. Manning

June 21, 2013

President Obama’s Berlin speech and trip to Europe came at a historical inflection point: The European Union (EU) has been in recession and financial crisis for more than four years. Youth unemployment is a staggering 25 percent. The very idea of Europe is being called into question. Moreover, NATO’s purpose leaves many scratching their heads, and transatlantic relations are floundering.

It is clearly a time for inspirational leadership. One might have hoped for a Berlin speech that encouraged a European Germany to take EU economic and political integration to a new level. The president might have called for bold German leadership. He might have used the occasion to trumpet the strategic virtues of the proposed Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), a potential game changer that could rejuvenate transatlantic ties, bolstering the leverage of half the world’s economy in shaping the international system of the twenty-first century, not to mention breathing new life in a sagging world trade regime.

But no. Instead, we got a nostalgic walk through memory lane, a playing to the gallery with yet another Cold War victory lap. Obama dusted off Kennedy’s “Ich bin ein Berliner” and Reagan’s “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall” line. Of course, it was Obama at his poetic best, recounting the “yearnings for peace that burns in the human heart,” and Berlin as the “city of hope.”

But it was also a transparent quest for a legacy. Five years after his “zero nukes” Prague speech, the global nuclear reality has become, if anything, more dangerous and complex: it is going in the opposite direction of nuclear zero. So Obama pulled a U.S.-Russian arms-control proposal out of his hat: reductions down to one thousand warheads each.

To give the administration its due, further undoing the legacy of the Cold War is not a bad thing. But whether the United States and Russia have 1300 or 1000 nukes each makes only a marginal difference in a brave new world where problems like Pakistani battlefield nukes, the spectre of North Korean nuclear entrepreneurship, and Iranian proliferation are the contemporary nuclear nightmares.

Indeed, how much does it matter if Russia has 1300 or 1000 nukes, anymore than it matters that France has 300? The main purpose of nuclear weapons (since we can’t uninvent them) is to deter their use by others. Not discounting what a Soprano-state Russian president Vladimir Putin runs, it still strains the imagination to conceive a scenario of major conflict with Russia, let alone one that would escalate to nuclear war.

The bipolar world of a U.S.-Soviet balance of terror is thankfully history. The biggest threat is that of nuclear security, the risk that terrorists obtain a loose or stolen nuclear weapon or nuclear material. To his credit, Obama has made nuclear security one of his signature issues.

What Legacy?

But if you were a second-term president contemplating the fullness of your legacy, would reducing U.S. and Russian nuclear arms (that have already been reduced 80 percent from Cold War levels) by a few hundred more be more significant than the future of Europe? The president seems to have forgotten that there is potential a role for the United States in facilitating a more unified Europe, whole and free. This includes a U.S.-EU economic pact that rejuvenates the relationship, creates a transatlantic bond that provides strategic leverage by enhancing Western power to shape the future of the global trade regime and, more broadly, the rules for an international system transforming in a world of diffusing power. Would this not be be a more important legacy? How about reassuring our European allies that his “pivot” to Asia is not coming at their expense?

Why Obama chose nostalgia over using his Berlin speech and Europe visit to stump for meeting the serious challenges facing both Europe and the transatlantic relationship is something that only he can truly answer. But one wonders where the sense of strategy lies in this White House. Berlin was the performance of a politician more than a statesman.

Yet Obama is only six months into his second term. What sort of world will he leave his successor in 2017? It is difficult to see any denouement in a Middle East transformation that is likely to continue unfolding over the course of a generation. In the meantime, the Syrian conflict appears to be threatening to unravel the post-Ottoman state system in the region. A deepening Sunni-Shia sectarian proxy war spilling over its borders appears more likely than a Geneva-negotiated peaceful transition. If you can discern a U.S. Middle East strategy, I would love to hear it.

In Asia, China’s assertive rise has thrown all the balls in the air. Obama’s recent summit with Chinese president Xi Jinping could open a new chapter in a troubled relationship and help reassure the region. But there were few signs in the summit’s aftermath that a new path in Sino-American relations is being taken.

To be fair, in a world where global power is ever more diffuse, where emerging economies like China, India, Brazil and Turkey have their own agendas, there is a dearth of opportunities for bold foreign achievements. This is why efforts to solve global problems, from climate change to a new global trade round, have foundered. Managing this century’s global disorder, where it is easy to block things and very difficult to build enough consensus to achieve success, is just not fun.

All this makes Obama’s behavior in Europe still more puzzling. One would have thought that in this political universe, where achieving U.S. desired outcomes is ever more difficult, that an all-out effort to bolstering what remains a foundation of U.S. foreign policy, the transatlantic relationship would be job one. What better legacy? And how better to position the United States, and indeed the West, to grapple with the strategic challenges of this generation?

Given Europe’s morass, a little U.S. leadership could go a long way. The headline of new arms control talks may have merit. But in terms of strategic priorities, it leaves something to be desired. At the end of the day, I fear we are looking at a serious missed opportunity.

Robert A. Manning is a senior fellow of the Brent Scowcroft Center for International Security at the Atlantic Council and its Strategic Foresight Initiative. He served as a senior counselor to the Undersecretary of State for Global Affairs from 2001 to 2004 and as a member of the U.S. Department of State Policy Planning Staff from 2004 to 2008.

It is, in the 21st century, in America, anyway, "all politics, all the time." The 2016 presidential election campaign began during the 2013 inauguration cermenoies - that was as much a campaign speech as an address to the whole nation. It was a plea for Democrats in 2014 and 2016. America and the West need and deserve better.

E.R. Campbell said:
I have finished Richard Haass' "Foreign Policy Begins at Home: The Case for Putting America's House in Order" and I am in broad agreement with Arnaud de Borchgrave (that shouldn't surprise anyone) but not everyone is. here is a well thought out but quite contrary opinion which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323550604578410432065425550.html

While I agree with some of Mr. Ahmari's criticism, especially of some of Mr. Haass' prescriptions, I think that "the U.S. should "increase the resources devoted to internal as opposed to international challenges"; shift away from the Middle East toward East Asia, "the part of the world most likely to influence the course of this century"; and supplant military power with "economic and diplomatic tools."" I believe the US is challenged, internally, by a horrid series of culture wars, for which I blame the Democratic and Republican "bases" equally and by rising tide of domestic political violence ~ some of it inspired by e.g. al Qaeda and some inspired by nativist tendencies which have been part of American culture from 200 years.

I believe that the facts are:

1. America's capacity to lead the West has been badly damaged by America, itself;

2. There is no other suitable leader for the West;

3. China, even though constrained by India, is rising rapidly and confidently to the role of leader of the East; and

4. The Islamic Crescent IS a strategic problem but it is one which we can, and should, watch, with interest, while it explodes dues to its own internal contradictions.

Thus, I believe Richard Haass prescriptions for America are helpful.

While foreign policy guru Richard Haass' new book, Foreign Policy Begins at Home: The Case for Putting America's House in Order (New York, 2013), offers some very specific domestic policy prescriptions for America as a necessary precursor to developing and implementing a useful grand strategy, historian Niall Ferguson tackles he whole question of how we all ~ but America in particular ~ got into this mess in his new book, The Great Degeneration: How Institutions Decay and Economies Die (New York, 2013).

Although well sourced and carefully annotated, in The Great Degeneration is a polemic; Niall Ferguson's trademark breezy, easy to read style cannot hide his anger at what has happened to the West and what he sees are a series of self inflicted wounds.

Ferguson believes that the West has surrendered to a combination of statism and sloth; the important thing that we have lost, he suggests, is the correct understanding of the “social contract.” It (the social contract) is not, Ferguson and I agree Rousseau's idea of a contract between the sovereign and the people, it is, in fact, Edmund Burke's “partnership” between the generations. It is in the enormous inter-generational transfers of debt and obligations that Ferguson sees a betrayal of our history.

Niall Ferguson identifies four key drivers to the ascent of the West over the past 500 years: democracy, capitalism, the rule of law and civil society. He argues that we, in the US led West, have ~ to a greater or lesser degree ~ devalued each.

Democracy, he suggests, has decayed into little more than partisan bickering and crude attempts at social engineering.

Capitalism has faltered and capital itself is increasingly being hoarded by the infamous 1%. Ferguson argues that we and China have swapped roles: we were a dynamic economy and have become static and China, which was for 500 years, static has learned from us and become dynamic.

The rule of law, Ferguson tells us, has become the “rule of lawyers.” The ideas and ideals that grew up in the prelude to the Glorious Revolution (1688) have given way to sterile legal debate designed to slice the economic pie more and more thinly. Mother enemies of the rule of law include the growing include the national security state, the growing complexity and sloppiness of statute law, and the mounting cost, especially in the US and Canada of seeking remedy at law.

Finally, Prof Ferguson gives an excellent explanation of the decline of civil society – all those groups and clubs and lodges and orders ~ yes, even the old and now much despised Orange Order ~ which knitted diverse elements of Western societies into vibrant, dynamic communities.

There are many, many points with which men and women of good will can and will disagree with Niall Ferguson but, for myself, I find both his analysis of the problem and his recommendations for changes – especially in areas like law and education, refreshing.

The Great Degeneration: How Institutions Decay and Economies Die is an easy read and a worthwhile read, too. Because it is Niall Ferguson's book it is heavily weighted towards economic history but that doesn't make the issue and the arguments any less compelling.

To approach the thesis from a different angle: those who despised the established order and sought to replace it, never conceived any proper replacement.  They destabilize institutions faster than people can properly adapt to new ones.

Richard Haass, again, on the same theme, in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the New York Times ~ Sunday Review, this time with an vital message added about the fact - and I believe it is a fact - that "there is little relationship between our investments and the results:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/opinion/sunday/america-can-take-a-breather-and-it-should.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&
America Can Take a Breather. And It Should.

By RICHARD N. HAASS

Published: June 22, 2013

THE United States is currently enjoying an unprecedented respite in the foreign policy arena — a temporary relief from the normal rigors of history that allows us to take stock at home and abroad.

It may seem outlandish to claim that we’re in the midst of a lull, given that America faces a civil war in Syria, an Iran that seems to be seeking nuclear weapons, an irresponsible North Korea that already possesses them, continuing threats from terrorists, a rising China and rapid climate change.

Yet the United States enjoys a respite all the same. For the three and a half centuries of the modern international era, great powers have almost always confronted rivals determined to defeat them and replace the global order they worked to bring about. In the last century, this process unfolded three times. The results were violent, costly and dangerous, and included two world wars and a cold war.

Today, there are threats, but they tend to be regional, years away or limited in scale. None rises to the level of being global, immediate and existential. The United States faces no great-power rival. And this is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

The biggest strategic question facing America is how to extend this respite rather than squander it. This will require restraining foreign involvement and restoring domestic strength. We can no longer seek to remake countries in the Middle East and South Asia, as was tried at great cost and with little success in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Instead, we must revive the American economy, something that will not only improve the living standards of our citizens but also generate the resources to discourage would-be competitors from choosing the path of confrontation and to deal with them if they opt for confrontation all the same.

The Obama administration has embraced much of this thinking in its foreign policy, especially when it comes to exercising restraint in the greater Middle East. But it has done less well at home, where it has often held back from pushing much-needed reforms.

Still, the United States stands first among unequals. American primacy is, in part, a consequence of innate advantages: political stability, healthy demographics and commitment to the rule of law. We have a rich endowment of energy, minerals, water and arable land as well as considerable openness to immigrants who are responsible for a disproportionate amount of innovation.

There are excellent institutions of higher education, venture capital and a legal system that allows second chances in the wake of failure. And good relations with our immediate neighbors allow us to focus our foreign policy farther afield, rather than on our borders as most other countries must do.

None of the other major powers of this era — China, Russia, Europe, Japan, India — are tempted to challenge the United States for primacy. America’s per-capita gross domestic product is at least six times that of China, and the United States spends more on defense than the next 10 countries combined.

Moreover, many potential future competitors depend in no small part on their access to American markets, technology, goods and services. They do not always agree with the United States, but they don’t see it as implacably hostile or as an impediment to their own core objectives. And they are often preoccupied with and limited by their own domestic economic, social and political challenges.

China is the country most often cited as a potential challenger. But it is being held back by slowing economic growth, pervasive corruption, widespread environmental degradation, an aging population and a top-heavy political system. China and the other principal powers seek less to overthrow the existing international order than to join it or something like it. They are more interested in integration than in revolution.

This situation isn’t cause for complacency. Primacy is not license to do as we please. A respite is, by definition, temporary — a departure from history, not history’s end. It allows a shift of emphasis, not withdrawal from the world.

Overseas, our attention should be focused on those places where America’s interests are greatest and where our available policy tools — the military, aid, trade and diplomacy — can accomplish the most good. This means limiting wars of choice and wholesale efforts to remake societies like the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and the surge in Afghanistan in 2009.

It also means refraining from direct armed intervention in Syria’s current civil war. And when it comes to Iran, we need to emphasize diplomacy, sanctions and other alternatives to military force to dissuade it from crossing the nuclear weapons threshold.

Most important, we should step up efforts to maintain stability in Asia and the Pacific Ocean, where this century’s great powers could easily collide and where American diplomatic, military and economic tools are well suited to ensure that they do not. Modest increases in America’s Air Force and naval presence can reassure allies like Japan and South Korea while sending implicit warnings to China and North Korea, and diplomacy can make clear that China is welcome to join new regional trade arrangements, reducing the possibility that the relationship will become adversarial.

At home, we must work to restore the foundations of American power. In many cases, this doesn’t even require spending more — often there is little relationship between our investments and the results.

The United States spends nearly twice as much as other industrialized nations per citizen on health care — often with worse outcomes. We spend more per student on education than most other wealthy countries, with few results to show for it. Attracting top-quality teachers, rewarding them for success, and enabling parents and students to choose effective schools would be a better use of resources.

And with only modest government funds we could foster public-private partnerships to rebuild this country’s often crumbling infrastructure, refashion immigration policy to give preference for visas and green cards to many more immigrants with advanced degrees and needed skills, and above all reduce long-term entitlement obligations, cutting the ratio of public debt to G.D.P.

These steps, along with individual and corporate tax reform, would facilitate a return to the high levels of economic growth that America enjoyed in much of the post-World War II era.

This is not a recipe for isolationism. Rather, it is a new grand strategy for America that views national security as a function of both foreign and domestic policy.

It has been said that a crisis is too valuable a thing to waste. So is a respite.

Richard N. Haass is the president of the Council on Foreign Relations and the author, most recently, of “Foreign Policy Begins at Home: The Case for Putting America’s House in Order.”

I trust everyone is familiar with the concept of the margin and diminishing returns ~  in all productive processes, adding more of one factor of production, while holding all others constant ("ceteris paribus"), will at some point yield lower per-unit returns.1

That - the law of diminishing returns - is what happened to the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago, to the Spanish Empire 500 years ago, to the British Empire 180 years ago and it is what is happening to America, right now, in 2013. Has says: The United States spends nearly twice as much as other industrialized nations per citizen on health care — often with worse outcomes. We spend more per student on education than most other wealthy countries, with few results to show for it [and] with only modest government funds we could foster public-private partnerships to rebuild this country’s often crumbling infrastructure, refashion immigration policy to give preference for visas and green cards to many more immigrants with advanced degrees and needed skills, and above all reduce long-term entitlement obligations, cutting the ratio of public debt to G.D.P." I'm not sure it's quite that simple, and see my review of Niall Ferguson's new book (just above), in my view America does need to reform much more than just its expenditures: all four of Ferguson's drivers ~ democracy, capitalism, the rule of law and civil society ~ are in varying states of disrepair and all four need urgent attention.

_____
1. Samuelson & Nordhaus. Microeconomics. 17th ed. page 110. McGraw Hill 2001.

Walter Russel MEad on the five great challenges that face America in the 21rst century. Many of the issues that occupy the headlines today essentially obscure these issues, either by accident or design, so most Americans (or Canadian, for that matter) are uninformed and these issues could hit them like an oncoming train without anyone realizing these issues even existed. Think back to the early 1990's, when the deficit and debt, or demographic change was not on anyone's radar or the topic of serious political discussion to get an idea of where this could go. Like I said upthread, much of the turmoil is that the conditions that allowed for structures like the "New Deal" to be created no longer exist. If WRM has identified these correctly, then successful Po0st Progressive society will have structures and institutions in plce to address these five issues:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/05/05/the-big-five-americas-make-or-break-challenges/

The Big Five: America’s Make or Break Challenges
Walter Russell Mead

So far, 2013 has been a bush league year in American politics. Gay marriage, gun control and amnesty for illegal immigrants are hot button emotional issues and they have a lot of practical importance for a lot of people, but the republic will not stand or fall based on lesbian prenups, gun background checks or green cards for those immigrants formerly known as illegal. Similarly with the sequester; if the country is headed toward fiscal bankruptcy the cuts are too small to save us and if the cuts are unnecessary they are neither large enough to precipitate a depression or so savage and stringent as to take us back to the social conditions of the 19th century.

So the headlines this year have not, exactly, been much ado about nothing, but it’s a lot of ado about nothing much. That wouldn’t matter if we didn’t have serious issues to deal with.  In quiet times we could let media cover politics the way the Weather Channel covers storms, inflating Winter Storms Chutney and Magpie into major world historical events. But we don’t live in bush league times. The United States has urgent business before it today and until and unless we get the big things fixed, we’re going to stagger from one ill-tempered squabble to another even as our underlying problems become more severe.

In Africa people talk about the Big Five, originally the most dangerous animals to hunt, these days the most awesome to see. The elephant, the Cape buffalo, the leopard, the rhinoceros and the lion are the Big Five in the game parks; America’s Big Five are the big make or break domestic issues we face. (I’ll take a look at the big international challenges in another series of posts.) We don’t need 100 percent success, but if we don’t get a handle on these five issues, conditions in America are going to deteriorate painfully no matter how many gay couples marry or immigrants get green cards. If on the other hand we do make progress on these issues, we will gradually find ourselves with more resources and better options as we struggle with the less critical but still very important choices our country must make.

So what are the Big Five?

First comes the question of jobs: what to do about jobs and incomes as the old industrial economy continues to shed middle class jobs? The manufacturing economy is as dead as Prince Albert, at least from the standpoint of providing middle class incomes and long-term job security for a third of the American workforce. If America can’t create new, post-manufacturing jobs to replace the old ones, nothing we do will turn out very well.

Second, there’s the service crunch. The country’s demand for services like education and health care is growing rapidly, but our ability to produce the quantity and quality of services demanded can’t match the need. The systems we have to produce and deliver these services are increasingly dysfunctional. As a result, we are seeing ruinous inflation in costs like college and university tuition and the health care system generally. These problems must be addressed; health care costs are on course to bankrupt the country and education costs have already saddled the younger generation with crippling debt. These problems won’t go away on their own; as time goes on the country is going to need more health care, more education, rather than less, and we also want the quality of both to improve. Governance, by the way, is one of these crises; a more complex and densely populated country needs effective and responsive governance at a reasonable price. In too many ways, all levels of government in the United States are too expensive, too cumbersome and too clumsy.

It’s both ironic and unsettling that just as the United States is leading the world towards a new kind of service based economy, our largest and most important service based industries are so inefficient and poorly organized. We can’t be a successful service economy until our biggest service sectors start working well.

Third, there’s the demographic transition. Our system of pensions and social insurance was built on the assumption that the high birth rates of the mid twentieth century would continue forever, and that each generation would be so much larger than its predecessor that the country could make a decent provision for old people without skimping on the needs of the young. While the United States fortunately is better placed than many other developed and developing countries (partly because our birthrate remains higher than in many countries and partly because a steady influx of younger immigrants increases the number of working adults), public and private pension systems and entitlement programs face a variety of challenges, and the competition between retirees and the rest of the population for resources is getting sharper.

The last two areas where the country faces make or break challenges are different. They are cultural, social and spiritual. They cannot be solved by wonkish ideas or government policy changes. But they are real, and unless we address them wisely the country is unlikely to thrive.

The first of these non-wonky problems is what one could call a coherence crisis. In past generations, a less diverse and more hierarchical America was organized around a set of ideas and cultural values and assumptions more or less brought over from Great Britain in the colonial era. This was not a monolithic culture; scholars like David Hackett Fischer have shown how cultural and political diversity were present in American life from the earliest years of the colonial period. And non-English speaking immigrants (like the Germans who settled much of Pennsylvania and the Dutch in New York) brought more points of view. Africans, free and enslaved, a majority in some states and a large minority in others, were also part of the mix.

But with all the diversity, the country was dominated by a set of values and ideas that came to us from the British Isles: Protestant and individualistic Christianity, an attachment to limited representational government, an affinity for capitalism and a set of ideas and cultural practices around which society cohered.

For all kinds of reasons that old coherence has been lost and cannot be set up again. Racial, cultural and ethnic differences among Americans have changed who we are as a people. Social and economic changes have challenged old ideas and institutions. Economic inequality challenges the idea of a vast American middle class that shaped national consciousness during the Fordist era.

There is no going back to the old days. The genie is out of the bottle, and Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall. But even if the old consensus is gone, the country still needs something to rally around. What are the values around which Americans will cohere in the 21st century and will they be both flexible enough to serve the needs of a diverse and diversifying people and robust enough to create a deep and abiding sense of common citizenship and linked destiny among us?

The problem is becoming more acute not less as American society grows and becomes more complex. A larger population and a more complex and interdependent technological base require more collective restraint on individual freedom in small things and large. Shared values and visions make that restraint seem natural and reasonable, but we are heading toward a situation in which there will be more laws and regulations to live under… and less agreement about what those laws should look like, at what level they should be adopted, and how stringently they should be enforced.

Finally and inescapably, there is the question of virtue. The liberal order of representative democracy depends more on the virtue of its citizens than other forms of government do. If most citizens are tax cheats, most politicians are swindlers, many parents are neglectful and most children are ingrates, democracy cannot last, much less prosper. If everyone is thinking about what they can get from the government and no one is thinking about what they give, and if nobody can be trusted when the lights are out, freedom will shrivel up and die. Our founding fathers were haunted by the example of the fall of the Roman Republic; we need to remember that Rome’s fate could be ours.

There are many forces working against republican virtue in America today. Consumer capitalism, as Daniel Bell and others have taught us, breeds attitudes of narcissism and self indulgence. The crisis affecting mainline Protestant and euro-Catholic congregations and institutions has weakened one of the chief props of the kind of self restraint and self governance that democracies need to survive and it’s not clear what if anything can take their place.

These are the Big Five; if we get them largely right, the 21st century in the United States is likely to see another golden age of freedom and prosperity. If we largely fail, things will go badly wrong, and this century could see the end of America as a beacon of hope for humanity. Via Meadia tries to orient our coverage of the news around these big five issues; watch this space over the next couple of weeks for some essays on the most important challenges we face.

The biggest problem as I see is the GOP's inability to dig itself out of the hole it has dug. The first rule of being stuck in a deep hole, stop digging.

Their internal turmoil will hold them back as long as it continues. It began with the gerrymandered redistricting process which gradually created more Republican and Democratic leaning districts. As the districts became more solidly red or blue, the prime concern for GOP incumbents was not defeating the Democratic candidate, but losing the nomination in the party primary (being primaryed). With the rise of the hard right conservative "base", incumbents found themselves running further and further to the right in order to retain their nomination. And in order to maintain loyalty of the "base", their actions in Congress had to fall further to the right, regardless of where they really fell on the political spectrum, lest they be primaryed.

As a result we see the GOP being driven at all levels by a small section of the electorate, a small cross section of their own voters. And we end up getting moves to l to limit or end abortion, knowing full well that women's health was a high voltage third rail. We get austerity writ large. We get vote after vote to repeal ACA knowing it was going no further. We get threats to kill immigration bills, inability to pass necessary legislation to create jobs, fix problems with the financial industry, put leadership where it is needed in government agencies.

Until they are able to resolve the turmoil within their ranks I don't see the US making any headway either domestically or on the international stage,

The problem is far deeper than any particular party; these are really reactions to larger events that are reshaping the landscape.

I characterize these sorts of political games (by all parties and when you look around, in virtually all nations) as the elites "digging in" and attempting to hold on to the perques and privilages that the current system provide. It is pretty clear that they will fight to the last taxpayer to do so, which explains why movements like the TEA Party in the US, or various political parites that represent fairly extremist positions in Europe, or even the "Arab Spring" in Islamic nations have risen throughout the world in rection to this. Even "Occupy" might charitably be looked at as the analogue of the failed revolutionary movements of the 1840's.

This is a transitional period in history, as the various structures that where erected starting as far back as the late 1800's (Otto Bismark's proto welfare atate) reach their "best before" dates and are swept away on a wave of social, economic and demographic changes.

What will replace these is not visible to me (or a great many commentators, pundits, futurists etc.), so YMMV.

I am going to risk a tangent here - because I perceive parallels between the discussions over the Egyptian "coup"  and this discussion.

First and foremost, in my mind, is the oft repeated notion that any group is a collection of individuals. Those individuals can often find common points of agreement.  They seldom find complete agreement.

The Egyptians agreed that Mubarak had to go.  They accepted Morsy's team as an alternative.

Morsy implemented his programme.  Apparently many people did not like his programme.

The Egyptians appear to agree that Morsy has to go.  They have not yet found an alternative.

Their search will continue.

Some argue that a coup has occurred.  I believe that it is a coup of which Thomas Jefferson would approve.  I also believe that it has the opportunity to demonstrate real democracy to the Egyptians and the Arab world.  Morsy was on track to deliver traditional revolutionary democracy - one man, one vote, one time.  This exercise may convince the Egyptians, and perhaps the Turks, that power, legitimacy, resides in the people and while the ballot box is a comparatively neat and tidy method of conferring legitimacy, there are others.

I believe the maxim is "silence implies consent".  If the Egyptians are not silent then their government lacks legitimacy.  If they are silent then the government is accepted as legitimate.

A bit of a double header here. Upthread, I identified the idea that structures, institutions and solutions implimented during the "Progressive Era" are no longer working, and that alternative models and solutions will be fighting for pre eminence to define the "Post Progressive Era"

The first is from the Atlantic, and point s out that the communications revolution has provided multiple tools to overturn the old order, but is disapproving of the idea that since various companies create and impliment these solutions, this is somehow wrong:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/the-internet-is-the-solution-to-everything/309382/

The Internet Is the Solution to Everything
Ideas of the Year 2013
Alexis C. Madrigal Jun 19 2013, 10:05 PM ET

Silicon Valley’s got 99 problems and the same solution for every one. Take a system ailing for complex reasons—education, Congress, the media—and offer one simple fix: more Internet. Tuition is continuing to rise as states cut funding to higher education? Have students watch lectures on YouTube and get graded by computers!

In this year’s most controversial technology book, To Save Everything, Click Here, Evgeny Morozov argues that geeks have come down with a bad case of “solutionism,” which recasts all sorts of problems, from the merely irritating to the civilization-threatening, as issues a low-cost, high-growth company should solve. More damningly, Morozov writes, “what many solutionists presume to be ‘problems’ in need of solving are not problems at all.” Inefficiency, opacity, and slowness can be features, not bugs. See: the Supreme Court.

But what really gets to Morozov is that individualistic, free-marketeer rhetoric derails the possibility of greater public involvement in creating desirable futures—essentially, it lets citizens and institutions off the hook. (interpolation: see below)

Which brings us to the appeal of solutionism in the first place. Silicon Valley may have a one-size-fits-all, morally blind set of solutions, but at least it’s tackling problems. At a time when Congress refuses to act, and universities refuse to cut tuition, and the status quo seems more entrenched than ever, tangible change is especially seductive.

The follow up is actually a reply I wrote several years ago to an article posted on the Internet (sorry, I can't find the article right now), which refutes the idea that the market is somehow not democratic. If being able to push electrons and "vote" all the time with your ideas, your wallet and your feet if needed isn't more participative and democratic than casting a ballot every four or five years, then I really don't know what is. I also have noted the importance of the "small platoons" of social engagement, even if I did not identify it as such then (I actually prefer Alexis de Tocqueville's description of America as "A nation of associations"):

I think the author totally misses the point.

The summation contrasting “more democracy” with “more markets” is totally false; markets are democracy. You choose what you want and what resources you will use to get it, you engage with other citizens on a continuing basis in a market.

In contrast, the programs and mindset being mourned here are products of a mindset which refuses engagement, and which demands only obedience to the dictates of the “empowered”. If you don’t like what the empowered want, or the crumbs they are willing to throw you, there is very little effective recourse.

Post progressive society, in contrast will reward people who choose to be engaged, and who are willing to be masters of their own fate. The poor and disadvantaged will finally be empowered to act on their own, not exist as wards of the Progressive State (and many will certainly rise to the challenge). Claiming the Progressive State has any interest in actually helping the poor and disadvantaged can be refuted by taking a real look at the statistics; despite billions of dollars spent over more than a half century of the life of Progressivism in Canada, poverty statistics have hardly changed, indeed we constantly hear that poverty is increasing! The equally shoddy results in the fields of healthcare and education should be convincing arguments against the Progressive model, and for much more market participation.
The Progressive State model is financially and morally bankrupt, we can close out that era of history with a controlled draw down, or we can attempt to continue with the progressive state and suffer through a cataclysmic collapse. Far better to continue with a controlled drawdown, and to create a bright future for our children

I have to take issue with your contention that there is a link between government cuts and a declining civil society, something which you yourself seemed to question in your response to Mr. McKeown’s comment above.

As Robert Putnam documented in his book ‘Bowling Alone,’ civic engagement and social capital have decreased dramatically over the past sixty-odd years. I don’t think it is a coincidence that this period also saw a massive expansion in the size and scope of ‘progressive government.’ When the crucial institutions of civil society (the Church, the scout troop, the Rotary Club) have their raison d’être taken over by the government, they inevitably decline – as indeed they have. Robert Nisbet made this case quite well in his book ‘The Quest for Community,’ which took a long-view of social structures and concluded that (1) an expanding government was inevitably replacing the work of local communities and civil society with that of the mass-state and (2) that the mass-state could not fulfill people’s needs in as effective a way as more local and voluntary organizations. In my mind, strengthening civil society means reducing the size and scope of government as a step towards the restoring responsibilities and role of non-state institutions.

My point is that while the term ‘cuts’ carries negative connotations, the effect of those cuts is to re-draw the boundaries of the state and civil society in a manner more favourable to the latter. In your response to Mr. McKeown, you almost seemed to agree, as you focused on critiquing the effectiveness of civil society compared to that of government in the modern era. Whether civil society is better than the government is a question for another day, but that made me wonder: do you agree with the basic notion that an expanding government is in part responsible for the decline in our civil society? If so, how much of the responsibility does the expanding government bear?

America's terrible political class has no "Grand Strategy", and can hardly be said to have a "domestic strategy" either. One part of the problem is the elites have constructed a "bubble" and seem to only act and react in accordance to the Narrtive, rather than real events:

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2013/08/07/fantasy-island/?singlepage=true

The Legion of Doom

August 7th, 2013 - 4:19 pm

The second-ranking CIA official now calls Syria the greatest threat to American national security today:

The Central Intelligence Agency’s second-in-command warned that Syria’s volatile mix of al Qaeda extremism and civil war now poses the greatest threat to U.S. national security. Michael Morell says the risk is that the Syrian government, which possesses chemical and other advanced weapons, collapses and the country becomes al Qaeda’s new haven, supplanting Pakistan.

Shouldn’t he ask: “Who armed the Syrian rebels”? And might not he say: ” … in addition to Pakistan”? It is not as if Pakistan has greatly improved over the last five years. Syria is a problem on top of Pakistan. The distinction is important: in assessing a situation, the direction of change is often more important than the current status, and the direction in this case is not encouraging.

Perhaps one sign that the War on Terror isn’t over comes from the New York Times:

T.S.A. Expands Duties Beyond Airport Security

As hundreds of commuters emerged from Amtrak and commuter trains at Union Station on a recent morning, an armed squad of men and women dressed in bulletproof vests made their way through the crowds.

The squad was not with the Washington police department or Amtrak’s police force, but was one of the Transportation Security Administration’s Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response squads — VIPR teams for short — assigned to perform random security sweeps to prevent terrorist attacks at transportation hubs across the United States.

“The T.S.A., huh,” said Donald Neubauer of Greenville, Ohio, as he walked past the squad. “I thought they were just at the airports.”

He thought wrong:

“Our mandate is to provide security and counterterrorism operations for all high-risk transportation targets, not just airports and aviation,” said John S. Pistole, the administrator of the agency.

Does that mean the “War on Terror” is … expanding?

Maybe. Al-Qaeda, far from being hunkered down in caves, is holding conference calls. An intercept of a conference call ”of more than 20 far-flung al-Qaeda operatives” triggered the latest security alert. “This was like a meeting of the Legion of Doom,” one U.S. intelligence officer told The Daily Beast:

Al Qaeda leaders had assumed the conference calls, which give Zawahiri the ability to manage his organization from a remote location, were secure. But leaks about the original intercepts have likely exposed the operation that allowed the U.S. intelligence community to listen in on the al Qaeda board meetings.

Hmmm … maybe Obama is so far ahead of al-Qaeda, he doesn’t care if he concedes a handicap. Why not let them know their lines are tapped? Can they resist his mighty hand?

The conference among “far-flung operatives” was an amazing achievement for an organization already declared dead and buried. Bret Stephens recalled the obituary while writing in the Wall Street Journal:

In May, Barack Obama told an audience at the National Defense University that the core of al Qaeda was “on the path to defeat.” The “future of terrorism,” Mr. Obama predicted, would involve “more localized threats … these threats need not rise to the level that we saw on the eve of 9/11.” He ended by calling for repeal of the 2001 Authorization to Use Military Force — Congress’s declaration of war on al Qaeda.

Yes, the president’s May speech contained all the required caveats about the abiding terrorist threat and the continued need for vigilance. But the gist of the address was clear, as was its purpose: to declare the war on terror won — or won well-enough — and go home …

The speech at the National Defense University was billed as a major presidential address. A lengthy article in the New York Times, written days later, reported it was a “window into the presidential mind,” the result of “an exercise lasting months,” a matter not just of Mr. Obama’s policy, but of his very legacy.

Yet here we are, not three months later, faced with a threat that makes a comprehensive and vivid mockery of everything the president said.

How could he get it so wrong? The New York Times’ coverage of President Obama’s canceled summit with Putin illustrates one reason why. This time, the NYT argued that Putin would regret not meeting Obama:

In a statement, the White House said the president had decided to postpone the summit meeting between the two leaders after concluding that there had not been enough progress made on the “bilateral agenda” to make a meeting worthwhile. …

Mr. Obama’s decision to forgo the summit meeting with Mr. Putin, which was first reported by The Associated Press, is a blow to Mr. Putin that will deprive him of a high-profile moment on the worldwide stage. It also threatens to add to the already chilly relationship between the two countries.

Now Putin won’t be invited to Leno! He’ll miss a chance to speak to Oprah! He must be crazy.

This is another case of the “wish being the father of the deed,” yet another instance of the Narrative being taken for reality. The NYT thinks Putin reasons just like them, seeing a world where Barack Obama is at the center of Washington and Washington is the center of the universe. If President Obama declares al-Qaeda to be dead, then al-Qaeda must in fact be deceased. If President Obama supports the Syrian rebels, the Syrian rebels must be worthy of support. If President Obama decides not to meet the president of Russia, then Putin is losing out.

It’s like Versailles in the days of Louis the XIV: the inmates cannot conceive that an external universe exists, one in which another sun shines more brightly than the Sun King.

Yet, as Bret Stephens points out, the Emperor has no clothes. He is manifestly capable of getting things fundamentally, spectacularly and catastrophically wrong, and the media elites are pathologically incapable of acknowledging this.

While a person untutored in the ways of Washington might conclude that recent events show President Obama is in the last stages of losing the vestiges of American influence in the Middle East, passively watching the rearmament of Japan, haplessly presiding over the resurrection of the Cold War, and being driven back by al-Qaeda into a static defense of the homeland, this cannot possibly be true: the Beltway pundits have decreed otherwise.

None of these bad things is yet fait accompli, but if any are to be avoided, the political establishment has to acquire a degree of intellectual honesty and vision which it has so far conspicuously lacked. They at least have to start calling things by their proper names

Historians may mark the middle of 2013, with its cascade of catastrophes and the sale of former media giants for chump change, as the time when the first signs of fear entered the Realm of the Sun King. When they sensed their jobs, pensions, and status were in peril. When they apprehended the first forebodings of physical danger — not from those who they declared public enemies, like the Tea Party, or Sarah Palin — but from those who, in PC piety, they had declared and thought their friends. When they realized they might one day ask: “Where are my legions O Varrus? Where are my legions?” And I don’t mean the Legion of Doom, either.

In other news, Japan launched a destroyer — the DDH-183, JS Izumo.

Robert Kaplan comments on what he calls "The Tragedy of US Foreign Policy" in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from The National Interest:

http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/the-tragedy-us-foreign-policy-8810
The Tragedy of U.S. Foreign Policy

Robert D. Kaplan

August 1, 2013

For over two years, the civil war [3] in Syria has been synonymous with cries of moral urgency. Do Something! shout those who demand the United States intervene militarily to set the situation there to rights, even as the battle lines now comprise hundreds of regime and rebel groupings and the rebels have started fighting each other. Well, then, shout the moral interventionists, if only we had intervened earlier!

Syria is not unique. Before Syria, humanitarians in 2011 demanded military intervention in Libya [4], even though the regime of Muammar Qaddafi had given up its nuclear program and had been cooperating for years with Western intelligence agencies. In fact, the United States and France did lead an intervention, and Libya today is barely a state, with Tripoli less a capital than the weak point of imperial-like arbitration for far-flung militias, tribes, and clans, while nearby Saharan entities are in greater disarray because of weapons flooding out of Libya.

The 1990s were full of calls for humanitarian intervention: in Rwanda, which tragically went unheeded; and in Bosnia and Kosovo where interventions, while belated, were by and large successful. Free from the realpolitik necessities of the Cold War, humanitarians have in the past two decades tried to reduce foreign policy to an aspect of genocide prevention. Indeed, the Nazi Holocaust is only one lifetime removed from our own—a nanosecond in human history—and so post–Cold War foreign policy now rightly exists in the shadow of it. The codified upshot has been R2P [5]: the “Responsibility to Protect,” the mantra of humanitarians.

But American foreign policy cannot merely be defined by R2P and Never Again! Statesmen can only rarely be concerned with humanitarian interventions and protecting human rights to the exclusion of other considerations. The United States, like any nation—but especially because it is a great power—simply has interests that do not always cohere with its values. That is tragic, but it is a tragedy that has to be embraced and accepted.

What are those overriding interests? The United States, as the dominant power in the Western Hemisphere, must always prevent any other power from becoming equally dominant in the Eastern Hemisphere. Moreover, as a liberal maritime power, the United States must seek to protect the sea lines of communication that enable world trade. It must also seek to protect both treaty and de facto allies, and especially their access to hydrocarbons. These are all interests that, while not necessarily contradictory to human rights, simply do not operate in the same category.

Because the United States is a liberal power, its interests—even when they are not directly concerned with human rights—are generally moral. But they are only secondarily moral. For seeking to adjust the balance of power in one’s favor has been throughout history an amoral enterprise pursued by both liberal and illiberal powers. Nevertheless, when a liberal power like the United States pursues such a goal in the service of preventing war among major states, it is acting morally in the highest sense.

A telling example of this tension—one that gets to the heart of why Never Again! and R2P cannot always be the operative words in statesmanship—was recently provided by the foreign-affairs expert Leslie H. Gelb. Gelb noted [6] that after Saddam Hussein had gassed close to seven thousand Kurds to death in northern Iraq in 1988, even a “truly ethical” secretary of state, George Shultz, committed a “moral outrage.” For Shultz basically ignored the incident and continued supporting Saddam in his war against Iran, because weakening Iran—not protecting the citizens of Iraq—was the primary American interest at the time.

So was Shultz acting immorally? Not completely, I believe. Shultz was operating under a different morality than the one normally applied by humanitarians. His was a public morality; not a private one. He and the rest of the Reagan administration had a responsibility to the hundreds of millions of Americans under their charge. And while these millions were fellow countrymen, they were more crucially voters and citizens, essentially strangers who did not know Shultz or Reagan personally, but who had entrusted the two men with their interests. And the American public’s interest clearly dictated that of the two states, Iran and Iraq, Iran at the time constituted the greater threat. In protecting the public interest of even a liberal power, a statesman cannot always be nice; or humane.

I am talking here of a morality of public outcomes, rather than one of private intentions. By supporting Iraq, the Reagan administration succeeded in preventing Iran in the last years of the Cold War from becoming a regional hegemon. That was an outcome convenient to U.S. interests, even if the morality of the affair was ambiguous, given that Iraq’s regime was at the time the more brutal of the two.

In seeking good outcomes, policymakers are usually guided by constraints: a realistic awareness of what, for instance, the United States should and should not do, given its finite resources. After all, the United States had hundreds of thousands of troops tied down in Europe and Northeast Asia during the Cold War, and thus had to contain Iran through the use of a proxy, Saddam’s Iraq. That was not entirely cynical: it was an intelligent use of limited assets in the context of a worldwide geopolitical struggle.

The problem with a foreign policy driven foremost by Never Again! is that it ignores limits and the availability of resources. World War II had the secondary, moral effect of saving what was left of European Jewry. Its primary goal and effect was to restore the European and Asian balance of power in a manner tolerable to the United States—something that the Nazis and the Japanese fascists had overturned. Of course, the Soviet Union wrested control of Eastern Europe for nearly half a century following the war. But again, limited resources necessitated an American alliance with the mass-murderer Stalin against the mass-murderer Hitler. It is because of such awful choices and attendant compromises—in which morality intertwines with amorality—that humanitarians will frequently be disappointed with the foreign policy of even the most heroic administrations.

World War II certainly involved many hideous compromises and even mistakes on President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s part. He got into the war in Europe very late, he did not bomb the rail tracks leading to the concentration camps, he might have been more aggressive with the Soviets on the question of Eastern Europe. But as someone representing the interests of the millions of strangers who had and had not voted for him, his aim was to defeat Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan in a manner that cost the fewest American soldiers’ lives, and utilized the least amount of national resources. Saving the remnants of European Jewry was a moral consequence of his actions, but his methods contained tactical concessions that had fundamental amoral elements. Abraham Lincoln, for his part, brought mass suffering upon southern civilians in the last phase of the Civil War in order to decisively defeat the South. The total war waged by generals William Tecumseh Sherman and Ulysses S. Grant was evidence of that. Simply put, there are actions of state that are the right things to do, even if they cannot be defined in terms of conventional morality.

Amoral goals, properly applied, do have moral effects. Indeed, in more recent times, President Richard Nixon and his secretary of state, Henry Kissinger, rushed arms to Israel following a surprise attack by Arab armies in the fall of 1973. The two men essentially told the American defense establishment that supporting Israel in its hour of need was the right thing to do, because it was necessary to send an unambiguous message of resolve to the Soviets and their Arab allies at a critical stage in the Cold War. Had they justified the arms transfers purely in terms of helping embattled post-Holocaust Jewry—rather than in terms of power politics as they did—it would have made for a much weaker argument in Washington, where officials rightly had American interests at heart more than Israeli ones. George McGovern was possibly a more ethical man than either Nixon or Kissinger. But had he been elected president in 1972, would he have acted so wisely and so decisively during the 1973 Middle East war? The fact is, individual perfection, as Machiavelli knew, is not necessarily synonymous with public virtue.

Then there is the case of Deng Xiaoping. Deng approved the brutal suppression of students at Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in 1989. For that he is not respected among humanitarians in the West. But the consolidation of Communist Party control that followed the clampdown allowed for Deng’s methodical, market-oriented reforms to continue for a generation in China. Perhaps never before in recorded economic history have so many people seen such a dramatic rise in living standards, with an attendant rise in personal (if not political) freedoms in so short a time frame. Thus, Deng might be considered both a brutal Communist and the greatest man of the twentieth century. The morality of his life is complex.

The Bosnia and Kosovo interventions of 1995 and 1999 are frequently held out as evidence that the United States is most effective when it acts according to its humanitarian values—never mind its amoral interests. But those who make that argument neglect to mention that the two successful interventions were eased by the fact that America operated in the Balkans with the balance-of-power strongly in its favor. Russia in the 1990s was weak and chaotic under Boris Yeltsin’s incompetent rule, and thus temporarily less able to challenge the United States in a region where historically the czars and commissars had exerted considerable sway. However, Russia, even in the 1990s, still exerted considerable sway in the Caucasus, and thus a Western response to halt ethnic cleansing there during the same decade was not even considered. More broadly, the 1990s allowed for ground interventions in the Balkans because the international climate was relatively benign: China was only just beginning its naval expansion [7] (endangering our Pacific allies) and September 11 still lay in the future. Truly, beyond many a moral response lies a question of power that cannot be explained wholly in terms of morality.

Thus, to raise morality as a sole arbiter is ultimately not to be serious about foreign policy. R2P must play as large a role as realistically possible in the affairs of state. But it cannot ultimately dominate. Syria is the current and best example of this. U.S. power is capable of many things, yet putting a complex and war-torn Islamic society’s house in order is not one of them. In this respect, our tragic experience in Iraq is indeed relevant. Quick fixes like a no-fly zone and arming the rebels may topple Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, but that might only make President Barack Obama culpable in midwifing to power a Sunni-Jihadist regime, even as ethnic cleansing of al-Assad’s Alawites commences. At least at this late juncture, without significant numbers of Western boots on the ground for a significant period—something for which there is little public support—the likelihood of a better, more stable regime emerging in Damascus is highly questionable. Frankly, there are just no easy answers here, especially as the pro-Western regime in Jordan is threatened by continued Syrian violence. R2P applied in 2011 in Syria might actually have yielded a better strategic result: it will remain an unknowable.

Because moralists in these matters are always driven by righteous passion, whenever you disagree with them, you are by definition immoral and deserve no quarter; whereas realists, precisely because they are used to conflict, are less likely to overreact to it. Realists know that passion and wise policy rarely flow together. (The late diplomat Richard Holbrooke was a stunning exception to this rule.) Realists adhere to the belief of the mid-twentieth-century University of Chicago political scientist, Hans Morgenthau, who wrote that “one must work with” the base forces of human nature, “not against them.” Thus, realists accept the human material at hand in any given place, however imperfect that material may be. To wit, you can’t go around toppling regimes just because you don’t like them. Realism, adds Morgenthau, “appeals to historical precedent rather than to abstract principles [of justice] and aims at the realization of the lesser evil rather than of the absolute good.”

No group of people internalized such tragic realizations better than Republican presidents during the Cold War. Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush all practiced amorality, realism, restraint  and humility in foreign affairs (if not all the time). It is their sensibility that should guide us now. Eisenhower represented a pragmatic compromise within the Republican Party between isolationists and rabid anti-Communists. All of these men supported repressive, undemocratic regimes in the third world in support of a favorable balance of power against the Soviet Union. Nixon accepted the altogether brutal regimes in the Soviet Union and “Red” China as legitimate, even as he balanced one against the other. Reagan spoke the Wilsonian language of moral rearmament, even as he awarded the key levers of bureaucratic power to realists like Caspar Weinberger, George Shultz and Frank Carlucci, whose effect regarding policy was to temper Reagan’s rhetoric. The elder Bush did not break relations with China after the Tiananmen uprising; nor did he immediately pledge support for Lithuania, after that brave little country declared its independence—for fear of antagonizing the Soviet military. It was caution and restraint on Bush’s part that helped bring the Cold War to a largely peaceful—and, therefore, moral—conclusion. In some of these policies, the difference between amorality and morality was, to paraphrase Joseph Conrad in Lord Jim, no more than “the thickness of a sheet of paper.”

And that is precisely the point: foreign policy at its best is subtle, innovative, contradictory, and truly bold only on occasion, aware as its most disciplined practitioners are of the limits of American power. That is heartrending, simply because calls to alleviate suffering will in too many instances go unanswered. For the essence of tragedy is not the triumph of evil over good, so much as the triumph of one good over another that causes suffering.

Robert D. Kaplan is chief geopolitical analyst for Stratfor, a private global intelligence firm. His latest book is The Revenge of Geography

I read Kaplan as a principled realist and it seems to me, that here and now, in the first quarter of the 21st century, strategic realism equals restraint. China is a competitor but it is not and should not be pushed into being an enemy. Russia is neither an enemy nor a competitor; Russia is a nuisance. Africa is a mess but not a real problem. Ditto Southern Europe. India is on the rise but it remains a friend. Most of Asia, rich (Korea) and poor (Indonesia), remains friendly to the West and China. Radical Islam is, broadly, an enemy but it is one with very, very, very limited means: yes, it can and does terrorize us and yes we, the US led West can and should respond, swiftly and brutally, to each and every act of terrorism, but, other than swatting the Muslims every now and again, they can and should be left alone to fight amongst themselves. Thus, in my opinion, America can afford to be restrained for a while as it does what Richard Haass suggests and get its own, domestic house in order before it contemplates blowing up anyone else's "house."

- mod edit to remove honkin' strobing graphic -

This article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, gives me an opportunity to preach a bit on foreign policy, in general:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/a-too-humble-america/article13816105/#dashboard/alerts
logo_globeMail.jpg

A too-humble America

JOHN O’SULLIVAN
The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Aug. 19 2013

In retrospect, we can see that the post-Cold War world ended in 2008, as a result of two events: Russia’s unpunished invasion of Georgia and the financial crisis triggered by the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, Wall Street’s fourth-largest investment bank.

The first marked the end of NATO expansion and the West’s unquestioned dominance: Georgia had recently been backed by the United States for membership; Germany and France had effectively vetoed it. Soon afterward, Russia acted to demonstrate that Georgia, far from joining the West, was still very much in the Russian sphere of influence. The West acquiesced, France with enthusiasm, the rest of Western Europe with relief, the U.S. with reluctance, Central and Eastern Europe under protest.

The financial crisis, almost willfully misinterpreted as resulting purely from the absence of regulation, led to a collapse of confidence. Financial institutions, supranational structures, political leaderships, market theories, Western civilization itself and, of course, bankers all fell victim to popular alarmism, skepticism, even hatred. These self-destructive passions were further magnified by the Euro crisis, which proved even more damaging and intractable than the subprime mortgage crisis. But the U.S., as “hegemon” of the post-Cold War international structure, suffered the greatest loss in power and reputation, if not wealth.

In the United States itself, that loss translated into a desire to retreat from the arena of failure. This is usually interpreted as “isolationism,” which it never is. More than a decade ago, in The National Interest magazine, Walter Russell Mead described the four factions into which Americans fall on foreign policy: Jeffersonians for an idealistic peace policy of non-intervention; Hamiltonians for building international institutions that protect commerce; Wilsonians for liberal interventionism, recently “democracy-building”; and Jacksonians for a tough policy of national self-interest.

Jacksonians are the “swing vote” on foreign policy: When they favour intervention abroad, they make it the broad consensus; when they oppose it, its days are numbered. They favour intervention when attacked; they oppose it for misty idealistic or non-American purposes; they especially oppose seemingly endless or “unwinnable” wars. Hence, they gradually swung against the Iraq and Afghan interventions, which they had originally supported.

Their change solidified a general national mood that produced Barack Obama’s election, the “humbler” foreign policy promised by George W. Bush before 9/11, the rise of Republican doves such as Rand Paul, the “reset button” rapprochement with Russia, the winding down of the Afghan and Iraq interventions, Mr. Obama’s Cairo speech wooing Islam in order to isolate Islamism, Washington’s enthusiasm for the Arab Spring, and much else.

The problem is that this leaves the world with no “hegemon” to broker and impose settlements. The United Nations cannot do this; it is designed to be an instrument of great power diplomacy rather than a substitute. In 30 years, the world has gone from a duocracy to a monocracy to a nullocracy.

The result is that states and non-state actors with unsatisfied grievances and ambitions – some of them, I’m sorry to say, “bad guys” – feel freer to pursue them without taking Washington’s likely response into account. Hence Iran’s pursuit of its nuclear ambitions, Russia’s and China’s flouting of the U.S. request for the extradition of Edward Snowden, Venezuela’s support for narco-terrorists next door, the Syrian civil war, the unpunished murder of a U.S. ambassador in a country, Libya, that the U.S. had just helped to liberate from tyranny.

A humble foreign policy is baffled by such problems, because it has no clear interests or fast friends. In Egypt, it has gone from wooing Islam in vague terms that encouraged Islamists; to edging out autocratic ally Hosni Mubarak without giving him an escape hatch; to naively embracing the Arab Spring; to overinvesting in Mohammed Morsi as he betrayed the Arab Spring; to dithering in the face of the coup; to the current policy of throwing up its hands in horror.

Even if the U.S. had a clear idea of what to do in such cases, its reputation and thus power to intervene are greatly diminished. Washington’s power to help is no longer assisted by its perceived power to harm.

Eventually, unrestrained global and regional disorders will seriously damage U.S. interests and people. Jacksonians, outraged, will join alarmed Hamiltonians in favouring a forward U.S. policy. Indeed, at present, the main bright spot in U.S. policy is the Hamiltonian idea of crafting an Atlantic Union – potentially the world’s largest free-trade area with more than half of global GDP – that would stimulate the West’s economies and strengthen Western and U.S. diplomacy worldwide. Ambitiously conceived, it could also solve a great many other European problems from Turkey’s EU application through saving the euro. But that is for another article.

We are currently living through a period similar to what Jock Colville, Churchill’s private secretary, called “the fatal hiatus” – the years 1945 to 1948, between Yalta and the Truman Declaration, when America demobilized and partied, Western Europe froze, starved and trembled, and Joseph Stalin gradually absorbed Eastern Europe. That period came to an end when America ceased retreating, returned to Europe economically with the Marshall Plan and established the North Atlantic Treaty Organization alliance to enable Europe to recover and develop behind America’s military presence.

That happened not by accident but because Truman Democrats, leading Republicans and realistic Europeans, notably Labour’s Ernest Bevin, had a certain idea of the West and united to revive it. The same vision is needed now, mainly in Washington, but in Berlin, Paris and London too – because it won’t happen by accident.

John O’Sullivan is editor-at-large of the National Review and senior fellow at the Hudson Institute.

There are, or there ought to be three “Ps” in any foreign policy, including America's and Canada's, too:

Peace;
    Principles;
and
    Priorities.

I have often said that good policy, reduced to its simplest level, usually means “peace and prosperity.” Peace, I have noted, is far more than just the absence of war, and prosperity is more than just “a chicken in every pot,” as Herbert Hoover's (1928) election campaign promised. But there is a direct, causal relationship between peace and prosperity: peaceful societies, societies, where peace is, again, more than just the absence of war, become prosperous, and prosperous societies, in turn, are more and more reluctant to be aggressors.

So the quest for peace should be the main foundation stone of both America's and Canada's foreign policy. If we have real, sustained peace we can prosper and afford all the things our peoples need and want.

But this is not to advocate “peace at any price.” We have principles, principles that drove us to a bloody, cruel war in 1939 and which kept us poised for an even worse war all throughout most of the rest of the 20th century. We went to war and, later, prepared for another war because our principles would not allow us to appease Hitler or Stalin, Khrushchev, et al.

Principles, however, are, as they must be, bounded by realities. Quite simply, we cannot afford to stand on every principle on every issue; no country can. Right now, for example, the Canadian government's top, nearly sole, priority is to return the budget to a balanced state. The government has demonstrated that, when absolutely necessary, it will spend money on the military, but, for now, defence spending – and, therefore, our capability to put some muscle behind our principles – is constrained by national fiscal concerns.

So, the three Ps always offset one another, the search for peace, and consequential prosperity, is always bounded by our core principles, we cannot and will not accept “peace at any price,” but our principles are constrained by fiscal realities which are, in turn and partially, why we search for peace.

We want peace, with all it brings to all peaceful peoples, but we cannot and must not appease al Qaeda, for example, and the like, but the cost of “taking on” and crushing the various and sundry loose movements that constitute “militant Islam” is beyond our realistic capabilities – beyond, indeed, the capabilities of the entire US led West.

There are, it seems to me, two alternatives:

1. Form a new, broader “coalition of the willing” which must, at a minimum, include America, China, Europe and India, and form a united front against “militant Islam;” or

2. Step back, accepting the fiscal and strategic realities, from the Islamic world and isolate most of it ~ but not all of it, countries like Malaysia and Indonesia should be persuaded to abandon the Arabic influence and be “enlightened” Asiatic Muslims.
        This is not appeasement, it is a realistic alternative to today's US led policy which is, in my opinion, failing.

The “third option” for which John O’Sullivan wishes requires one key ingredient: leadership. President Obama is not a Harry Truman, he lacks, in my opinion, both Truman's brains and is balls. But there is, equally, no Bevin out there, nor a Dean Acheson, and, sadly, not even a Louis St Laurent.

Three wise men who, in the late 1940s, "made" our world:

dean-acheson-05.jpg

bevin_ernest.jpg

H-4.43cs.ashx

Dean Acheson              Ernest Bevin                Louis St Laurent
America                        Britain                          Canada

____
The linked article by Mead led to an excellent book, Special Providence: American Foreign Policy and How It Changed the World which I recommend to anyone who wants to understand the nature of American grand strategy.

The problem is ultimatley with the American people; they elected the current crop of leaders and were apparently content with the direction they were going. This piece suggests there is no leadership in waiting on either side of the ailse in the current American political landscape, and this may well take a long time to sort out. In other threads I have theorized that as the economic, demographic and political landscapes change, the structures and institutions that were created in the past are becoming less and less relevant. Unless and until the "new" structures and institutions reach a level of development that they clearly define the social landscape (and these become the incubators of the new leadership), then we will be stuck with the "old" leadership pool, working on old and no longer functional assumptions and principles. As the book "The Big Shift" shows, Canada is not immune to this problem either:

http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2013/09/02/leaderless-america-on-labor-day/?print=1

Leaderless America on Labor Day
Posted By Roger L Simon On September 2, 2013 @ 12:10 am In American Tea Party,Tea Party,terrorism,Uncategorized,United Nations | 67 Comments

Conservatives and libertarians can rejoice, if they wish, at the spectacle of Barack Obama proving once again — and perhaps more definitively than ever — that he is the worst president of the modern era [1], through his utter mishandling of the Syrian situation.

But they ought to wipe the smirks off their faces, because here’s the bitter truth: The GOP bench — the right-wing or even center right-wing presidents in waiting — isn’t a helluva lot better. Not enough, anyway.

At no time in our history, at least in my increasingly long lifetime, has there been such a dearth of key political leadership in our country on both sides of the ideological divide — and at a moment when the world seems about to explode.

Much as they have a great deal to recommend domestically, I’m sorry but Ted Cruz and Rand Paul — the leading “conservatarian” lights of the Senate — do not seem prepared to deal with Syria, Egypt, Iran, Pakistan, Yemen, Hezbollah, Hamas, al-Qaeda, North Korea, and, of course, Russia and China.

It is not enough to roll up the libertarian gangplanks and let the insane of the world blow each other up. That policy rarely works. It certainly didn’t in the 1930s. The insane of the world have a way of coming back to bite you. They’re doing their best at this very moment.

This is a sad Labor Day. America needs serious leadership and it doesn’t have it. Say what you want about this country, about its mistakes and its flaws, but a Pax Americana has prevailed since World War II. And that Pax has been a great positive for humanity. The Obama era seems to be ending it.

And the leadership pool does not look capable of recovering it. No Reagans are in the offing.

On the Democratic side we have the addle-brained Biden and the dishonest, selfish Hillary.

On the Republican side… who?

No one of real stature.

Maybe it’s time to look away from the political sphere to someone like Ben Carson [2], who has at least achieved success doing genuine good as a pediatric neurosurgeon.

We are at a crossroads. We have a president clearly without the courage to lead. Since that’s the case, why don’t we start to do it ourselves?

They say that the people get the leaders they deserve — and that may have been our problem. Maybe we have lost the soul of our country and we are, as they trumpet in the Syrian newspapers, beginning our decline. (Maybe we began it a few years ago.)

But then again, maybe not. Maybe we can take this opportunity as a country to engage with the world in an intelligent way. We are the leaders of the world, like it or not. If we give it up, the center will not hold. You don’t have to be a genius to see that.

No one else is going to do it — no other country and certainly not the UN. If our president doesn’t want to do it, we the people must take things over from him.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if not now, when? And if not we, who?

Happy Labor Day.

(Photo by spirit of america / Shutterstock.com [3].)

Article printed from Roger L. Simon: http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2013/09/02/leaderless-america-on-labor-day/

URLs in this post:

[1] worst president of the modern era: http://pjmedia.com/ronradosh/2013/09/01/is-barack-obama-americas-worst-and-most-incomptent-president/
[2] someone like Ben Carson: http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2013/02/11/sam-tanenhaus-meet-dr-benjamin-carson/
[3] Shutterstock.com: http://www.shutterstock.com

Back