• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guys, i've got a problem

quebecownage

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
hi dudes

From as long as i've been shaving , i've been using a electric razor.
I overheard somebody say in this forum that they were prohibited in bmq and sq and that the lowly recruits had to shave "the old fashioned way" .
iI can't . Probably because i've never tried but thats not the point .

so is it true that we have to shave with a "normal" razor?

I'm sure it all depends on your staff.  I didn't do recruit training so I can't say for sure, but I know for a fact that a bunch of people on my basic course used electric razors.  I actually went out an bought one for CAP.  Used it every day, even in the field.  It kicked ass.  It only takes me like 2 min to shave and I'm half-Lebanese :).  I bought a Philishave Sensotec HQ 8894.  Expensive (around $300), but it's worth it.  100+ min of battery life.  A bunch of other peope bought the Braun 370.  It takes AAs and only costs like $30.

I've never actually used an electric razor in the field, but I'm guessing that cam paint+electric razors don't mix well...

Just a Sig Op said:
I've never actually used an electric razor in the field, but I'm guessing that cam paint+electric razors don't mix well...

its not bad actually...

just clean it throughly when you get the chance...

As stated before, depend on your course.  Even then... just don't get caught!
They're not watching your shower and shave....  at least not from any courses
that I went on.

But thats not my official answer...  ::)

Always follow your orders...  (official answer)

Just a Sig Op said:

Of course they don't.....but you have to wash your face first......therefore no chance of Cam Paint and Electric Razor mixing - Right!  It only takes a couple of minutes after a face washing to scrap off the ole peach fuzz with a non-electric razor and it costs less.  No heavy batteries.  No heavy extra kit.   ;D

You can get hand powered mechanical razors, they work on a spring system, with a big button on the handle that you depress to provide the power. They work OK, but mine sounds like an air raid siren/rape whistle when in operation so it's not very tactical.

I've never heard of anyone being told they can't use an electric razor. A small relatively cheap model is all you need for the short exercises you are likely to encounter for awhile. I always prefer the look and feel of a blade shave and used the electric only when time/conditions made it the better option. You can shave more quickly with an electric and there's nothing better than avoiding water/gel/blade when it's -30C out  :eek:

As stated earlier, ds aren't normally around when you are washing/shaving, so just quietly go about your business and I can't see you having any problems.

Just a Sig Op said:

That was actually the best part about using it in the field.  Didn't have to deal with washing off and then re-applying the cam paint if you're short on time.  Obviously it didn't work as well and my face would be a mess by the end of the week, but when you're always rushed for time it's nice to have an extra 5 min to shove some food down your throat.

Which reminds me, for washing up, I highly recommend picking up some of those baby wipes or something similar ... especially in the winter.  And those alcohol-based gel hand-cleaners are great too.  I'd always keep one in my pocket.  They're great for cleaning permanent marker off of maps too.  Just use that and the napkin from your rations and you're good to go.

Why use electric anyways?

I switched to Gillette mach-3 or 4 or whatever the hell its called ... the green/grey razor that vibrates when you press the button to give a sharper smoother shave.. the one OCC made a chopper about.

And I haven't looked back! 2 minutes and I can get all the facial hair off me. 5 minutes and I got my face babyskin smooth. Faster, cleaner and better than electric.

Give your soul to gillette

quebecownage said:
because ur less likely to cut yourself with electric

Your Joining the army and your worried about cutting your slef with a razor while shaving ?  ::)
:cdn:

" but mine sounds like an air raid siren/rape whistle when in operation so it's not very tactical."

You are speaking, of course, of shaving your legs, right?

;D

My plan is to buy some cheap Bics.  My electric is terrible: it takes forever and is quite loud.  Cheap bics get the job done and if I break/lose them, no big deal.

Yes, a bag of bright pink ones.  I'll stuff one or two into the netting on my helmet for easy access.  No problems with bright pink Bics in the helment? ;D

Tyre... get a Mach 3.

Those disposable razors are going to tear your face apart.. and they do a shitty job of achieving a close shave on top of that.

You can't cut your face even if you're trying with a Mach3,
I get wicked razor burn normally, using a mach3 I don't get anything out of the ordinary.

I'm going to support the "give your sould to gilette" statement.

Actually I was wondering about this awhile ago and wanted to ask but totally forgot about it. I'm half Italian and my beard grows super fast...What is the longest you can have your beard? Because i've seen some guys with mustaches and things like that, I was wondering if your beard could be a certain length before you cut it. *by beard, I mean stubble*

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:

Beards are not permitted, except for religious reasons. The thinking behind this is that if you're in an NBCD environment, the beard would prevent your gas mask from achieving the proper seal, thus you'd be in trouble. Even those who have beards for religious reasons have to shave them in such situations.

From what I've seen, (being female I don't have these issues :p) those who have fast-growing facial hair shave twice a day.

Cpl Bloggins said:
Beards are not permitted, except for religious reasons. The thinking behind this is that if you're in an NBCD environment, the beard would prevent your gas mask from achieving the proper seal, thus you'd be in trouble.

It's true. We just did our NBC practical test (gas chamber) and by some freak occurance we didn't get the chance to shave that morning (first time that ever happened). Right away I could tell that the seal on my mask wasn't perfect, even when it was nice and tight.

But we're getting off topic. Give in to gilette, it really does work.

Actually use NEAT or a product of a similar nature. No shaving just aplly and wipe it off. I works well and I highly recommend it.  ::)

By the way if anyone tries this on their face please let let me know how it works.

Back