• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gyms in the NCR

meni0n

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues accessing gyms in the NCR?

I live in Gatineau and work is at the other side of Ottawa so I decided to go to the gym closest to my house. Was told at the National Printing Bureau the gym is only for members of the building. Had no issues getting access to the gym at Asticou. I thought military members could access any CFSU gym in the NCR with their ID card.

It says here that "Facility services and equipment are for use by serving members of the Canadian Forces only."

Here is a list of all locations.

meni0n said:
I thought military members could access any CFSU gym in the NCR with their ID card.

"If you have military ID you should be able to access gyms in any DND facilities in the Ottawa area.

I'd recommend contacting the gym(s) you intend to visit in advance (look for the CFSU(O) DWAN site, then find a contact for PSP) and confirm how things roll."
http://army.ca/forums/threads/103663/post-1096133.html#msg1096133
Reply #2

I went off the exact web site you provided PMed. But the commissionaires at the door would not let me in, saying it's just for members working in the building.

Print off the damn webpage and bring it in...

Although, I know some buildings in Ottawa have limited access; maybe that was his reasoning?

NPB is a strange building to access.

If I'm going to clothing stores, there is no problem.  I just tell the Cmre that is where I'm going.

If I'm going to my supply section, which is in the same corridor as clothing stores, I have to have someone sign me in.

:dunno:

meni0n said:
I went off the exact web site you provided PMed. But the commissionaires at the door would not let me in, saying it's just for members working in the building.

I think you have misread the website. The site says that the National Printing Bureau's gym is only for "in house" military members. It states:

45 Boul Sacré-Coeur, Gatineau

Gym Representative: 613-995-5466

Facility services and equipment are for use by serving members of the Canadian Forces only. In addition, DND employees may use the facility at their own risk and waive all rights to claim against the Crown in the event of an accident or incident.

This facility is used for in-house military members and DND employees.

Mini-Gym for Military/DND Civilian members on site (Cardio and weight equipment)
Open Monday to Friday 0600hrs to 1800hrs

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Ottawa/EN/Facilities/MiniGyms/NPB/Pages/default.aspx

Additionally, many NCR gyms are located in 'secure' facilities that require special permission to access.

Oh well, there ya go...

Aren't there a few YMCA facilities in the NCR that CF pers are allowed to use?

PMedMoe said:
Aren't there a few YMCA facilities in the NCR that CF pers are allowed to use?

mic911: "Military pers in the NCR can go to any YMCA for free."
http://army.ca/forums/threads/741.270;wap2

Although I believe there is a membership fee there is also the RA Centre on Riverside Drive
http://www.racentre.com/associationhome

Tom

winnipegoo7 said:
I think you have misread the website. The site says that the National Printing Bureau's gym is only for "in house" military members. It states:

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Ottawa/EN/Facilities/MiniGyms/NPB/Pages/default.aspx

Additionally, many NCR gyms are located in 'secure' facilities that require special permission to access.

It says the same thing for Asticou but I had no problem getting in to the gym. Just showed my ID and the commissionaire let me in.

Also, the YMCA thing was cancelled a while back so no more free visits there. I'm just looking for the closest gym to where I live, I don't mind going to Asticou, it's just 5 more minutes of driving for me. I just found it weird, maybe it's because their gym is inside the secure building?

meni0n said:
It says the same thing for Asticou but I had no problem getting in to the gym. Just showed my ID and the commissionaire let me in.

Also, the YMCA thing was cancelled a while back so no more free visits there. I'm just looking for the closest gym to where I live, I don't mind going to Asticou, it's just 5 more minutes of driving for me. I just found it weird, maybe it's because their gym is inside the secure building?

My guess is that the commissionaire isn't enforcing the Asticou gym's policy or the policy at Asticou has changed.

Edited to add: Is there no gym at your place of work?

There is but I live in Gatineau and the drive is about 40 mins to my work and I am at home for the next two weeks. That's why I was looking around for a gym nearby and Asticou is about 10 minute drive.

Could always go the Goodlife route. I think the best GL's in Ottawa are Eagleson in Kanata and Queensview by the Ikea. Some of the DND gyms are great, but a bit of socializing is nice too. Back in the day you could work out at any gym you wanted and that came from pretty high up. Might be good to get the chain to remind security at the location you want to work out at.

I go to City Gyms in Ottawa Area (Orleans) "Ray Friel" they only charge 20$ a month for members.

Back